Poll

Should Jacksonville sell (privatize) JEA?

Yes
No

Voting closes: February 27, 2018, 12:55:01 PM

Author Topic: Should Jacksonville sell (privatize) JEA?  (Read 4654 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Should Jacksonville sell (privatize) JEA?
« on: December 01, 2017, 08:15:03 AM »
http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2017-11-28/jea-resolves-explore-privatization

JEA resolves to explore privatization

Posted November 28, 2017 06:56 pm | Updated November 28, 2017 07:23 pm
By David Bauerlein

JEA will determine what the market value is for the city-owned utility and give that information to city leaders for them to consider privatizing the electric and water utility...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Gunnar

Re: Should Jacksonville sell (privatize) JEA?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 08:41:23 AM »
Privatizing public utilities in my opinion rarely if ever leads to an improvement for the former owner (being the citizens and customers)
I want to live in a society where people can voice unpopular opinions because I know that as a result of that, a society grows and matures...” — Hugh Hefner

jaxrox

• Juno Who
    • Personal Page  FOLLOW ME IF YOU DARE
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 11:15:35 AM »
No, they should not privatize jea. It will not benefit my great city or its citizens long term to sell off one of its biggest assets.

jaxrox

• Juno Who
    • Personal Page  FOLLOW ME IF YOU DARE
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 01:00:36 AM »
http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2018-01-14/sale-jea-would-not-require-voter-referendum

So here we go. Who wants to protest if the city decides to sell jea to a giant corporation?
Mind you, this article only lays out that the city can do this without letting the citizens vote on it first. Nothing much has been done as of yet.  It still seems like a bad idea to me to privatize jea though

marcuscnelson

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 01:45:57 AM »
What? How does this in any way seem like a good idea? Why would we do this?

How about, instead of privatizing JEA, we get municipal fiber like EPB in Chattanooga?

vicupstate

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 09:01:00 AM »
JEA has control of Water and Sewer as well. That is very atypical for an Electric utility. I would assume those would revert back tot he city if JEA were sold?

I fear the administration might see the initial big payoff as a way to pay for a 'Sim City' DT without considering the other long-term impacts.   
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Gunnar

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 09:48:01 AM »
Considering long term impacts implies that those who decide care about the long term (i.e. beyond their own term).
I want to live in a society where people can voice unpopular opinions because I know that as a result of that, a society grows and matures...” — Hugh Hefner

JaxAvondale

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 05:47:31 PM »
Well, it looks like there is going to be a battle on this issue. Special meeting on Wednesday!

http://jacksonville.com/news/20180212/council-president-rejects-calling-wednesday-meeting-on-jea-sale-so-mayor-calls-one-himself

KenFSU

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 09:31:38 PM »
The only way this makes is if Jacksonville's utility infrastructure is in desperate, urgent need of upgrades that we can't possibly afford. To the best of my knowledge, that isn't the case. If not, it feels like a politically-motivated cash grab that is going to put a hurting on Jacksonville's middle class, and absolutely devastate Jacksonville's lower class. Private utilities can essentially charge whatever they want in order to recoup their investments, and if some corporation comes in and pays a billion, if not billions, for JEA as rumors suggest the valuations will land, you better believe they're going to make it up when they set rates. You could take that money and restore every building downtown, prop up developments at the Shipyards, District, and Stadium District, and sign Kirk Cousins for 10 years, and it would still be a clear net loss for the average Jacksonville citizen.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 06:32:43 AM »
I want to know where this is coming from... Apparently this is all coming from a "valuation report" from JEA.  Is this report normal?  Annual?  What prompted this?  Why now?

I assume JEA in it's current form is a community asset... Is it?  Perhaps the time is coming where it is no longer an asset but a net loss?  I read that Curry is supportive of the idea... but what does that really mean? 

Someone show me the benefit of the sale... I have not heard that argument yet...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Josh

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 08:47:32 AM »
I assume JEA in it's current form is a community asset... Is it?  Perhaps the time is coming where it is no longer an asset but a net loss?  I read that Curry is supportive of the idea... but what does that really mean? 

This whole process is Curry's doing. He wants a windfall for the city to fund his next political "win."

pierre

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 08:49:44 AM »
This would be a horrible idea for this city

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 08:55:38 AM »

This whole process is Curry's doing. He wants a windfall for the city to fund his next political "win."

Clearly that is the opinion of many... yet I have yet to see any real evidence of it...

Gunnar

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 08:58:42 AM »
This would be a horrible idea for this city

Sounds like something that will be done then...

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 09:07:08 AM »
A few quotes...  https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/jacksonville/council-members-ask-why-sell-the-jea-who-would-benefit

Councilman Garrett Dennis, who called the meeting, doesn't know who is behind the idea to sell the JEA.

"We don’t know who it’s being driven (by). But now ... it’s our obligation to vet it and to see what is best for the citizens," Dennis said.

Mayor Lenny Curry's chief of staff, Brian Hughes, issued a statement Tuesday afternoon about the possibility of a sale:

We will work with City Council as JEA approaches the conclusion of research initiated by its senior leadership at the direction of the JEA Board. Commenting or speculating about future decisions before the conclusion of that work is premature. Whatever future decisions that are related to JEA, Mayor Curry is always guided by two steadfast principles: 1. Any future action MUST be in the best interest of JEA ratepayers and the taxpayers of our city, and 2. Such action MUST demonstrate a commitment to the hard work and success of every man and woman working every day at JEA to serve our community.”