Author Topic: Daily Record - Buc-ee’s buys land in St. Johns County  (Read 896 times)

marcuscnelson

Daily Record - Buc-ee’s buys land in St. Johns County
« on: November 23, 2017, 12:52:49 AM »
120-pump gas station planned in World Commerce Center at I-95.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/buc-ees-buys-land-in-st-johns-county

Seems a bit excessive to build so many pumps in one place, especially if they're all going to cost the same.

Maybe at least include a few electric car chargers?

lastdaysoffla

Re: Daily Record - Buc-ee’s buys land in St. Johns County
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 02:54:48 AM »
There seems to be a lot of push back by SJC residents. I say, you reap what you sow, allow your gov't to approve massive tacky developments, you get massive tacky developments. Like an over-sized gas station.

marcuscnelson

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 02:02:54 AM »
Interestingly enough, some former Texans have surprisingly positive reviews of Buc-ee's on other sites. Here's one from Nextdoor:

I’m from Texas - Bucees is travel mecca there, and they have the absolute cleanest and nicest bathrooms, ever. They also reach out to local craftspeople and candy-makers to sell their goods to interstate travelers. I would go out of my way to get gas there because the employees are nice like Publix associates. And the honey roasted pecans - sheer heaven. Before you judge Bucees, you should know Bucees!

Gunnar

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 08:47:40 AM »
If they plan to build one of the travel centers that you can find out west (starting at around the Texas area) then this would be nice. I have for the most part fond memories of them.
I want to live in a society where people can voice unpopular opinions because I know that as a result of that, a society grows and matures...” — Hugh Hefner

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 09:02:08 AM »
Typical NIMBY syndrome. This is the type of retail that the World Golf/I-95 interchange will attract. While it is huge, my guess is that the suburbanites out there are no different from the ones in suburban Texas. They'll love the place once it opens.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali