Author Topic: Pedestrian Citations in Jax - An Investigation  (Read 1344 times)

Sonic101

• It's Coming
Pedestrian Citations in Jax - An Investigation
« on: November 16, 2017, 04:23:32 PM »
Jacksonville has made the news again. This time its about pedestrian laws and their enforcement.

Here's a nice little quiz to see what's legal and what's not:
https://projects.propublica.org/graphics/jacksonville

Here's the full story by ProPublica and Florida-Times- Union:

https://features.propublica.org/walking-while-black/jacksonville-pedestrian-violations-racial-profiling/
What the analysis does show is that the pedestrian tickets — typically costing $65, but carrying the power to damage one’s credit or suspend a driver’s license if unpaid — were disproportionately issued to blacks, almost all of them in the city’s poorest neighborhoods. In the last five years, blacks received 55 percent of all pedestrian tickets in Jacksonville, while only accounting for 29 percent of the population. Blacks account for a higher percentage of tickets in Duval County than any other large county in Florida.

And here's a video shot in Jacksonville by ProPublica and Vox on this story:
https://youtu.be/lJFqvRwOiis

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
Re: Pedestrian Citations in Jax - An Investigation
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 05:18:51 PM »
Great investigative journalism. I was interviewed for this story about a month or two ago. I'm glad to see it finally out. Hopefully, it leads to change with JSO and more multi-modal infrastructure investment in areas that lack political influence in city hall.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 06:44:16 PM »
I've only lived in this town for 45 days.  One thing I have discovered is, red lights for automobiles are purely suggestions.  I have driven in some of the craziest cities in the US (Boston being #1) and I have NEVER seen anything that is even close to this.  It is of epidemic proportions.  (I have yet to see a single car pulled over for this.)  If I were a PSO and I was spending my day writing tickets for pedestrian violations in a city that has cars blazing through red lights on a regular basis, I would have to question my own sanity as well as my pledge to "protect and serve". 

lastdaysoffla

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 07:11:59 PM »
^ and people just laugh at stop signs

I think this is just as much a statement on Jacksonville's poor record of pedestrian safety as much as it is about race or law enforcement. Have you tried being a pedestrian in Jacksonville outside of walkable areas like Riverside? It's a nightmare. I live across the street from a grocery store. The nearest crosswalk is almost a quarter mile down the road and is in fact more dangerous because it is an intersection of two major four lane roads. I have to cross illegally and it is unsafe. Jacksonville has one of the poorest records in respect to pedestrian deaths. We used to say that there was news of a shooting every night on the local stations, but pay attention, there is almost always a story of a pedestrian getting hit.

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 10:30:26 PM »
^ and people just laugh at stop signs

I think this is just as much a statement on Jacksonville's poor record of pedestrian safety as much as it is about race or law enforcement. Have you tried being a pedestrian in Jacksonville outside of walkable areas like Riverside? It's a nightmare. I live across the street from a grocery store. The nearest crosswalk is almost a quarter mile down the road and is in fact more dangerous because it is an intersection of two major four lane roads. I have to cross illegally and it is unsafe. Jacksonville has one of the poorest records in respect to pedestrian deaths. We used to say that there was news of a shooting every night on the local stations, but pay attention, there is almost always a story of a pedestrian getting hit.

Yep.  I'm a runner and when I have to cross Atlantic, I'm safer to do it illegally, crossing half of it then waiting in the safe median for the other half to clear, than I am to do it the "right" way.  I'm waiting for the first interaction that I get to have with JSO about this.

Lunican

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville.com
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 08:53:39 AM »
In Duval County, roughly 16 percent of drivers (110,914 of 697,224) don't have the proper license to be behind the wheel.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/how-many-drivers-illegally-behind-wheel

Tacachale

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 09:10:06 AM »
In Duval County, roughly 16 percent of drivers (110,914 of 697,224) don't have the proper license to be behind the wheel.

That is because it’s impossible to get around without a car, so people keep driving even if they lose their license.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 09:12:23 AM »

That is because it’s impossible to get around without a car, so people keep driving even if they lose their license.

It must be equally impossible to obey the law and not lose your license... those darn laws...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 09:27:21 AM »

It must be equally impossible to obey the law and not lose your license... those darn laws...

“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 09:57:58 AM »
In this particular case, it seems half of the pedestrians profiled by JSO were actually following the law. Unfortunately, JSO officers issuing tickets don't know the law. Assuming you're ticketed and can't afford to pay it, you can damage your credit and lose your license. That's pretty screwed up for those who don't have the financial means.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 08:54:44 AM »

It actually is for about 1/4 of the population. They get some kind of traffic ticket, for speeding, turn signal, whatever it is, doesn't really matter, we all get them eventually, but when you live hand to mouth, some people can't afford to come up with an extra $150 this month. The legislature has increased traffic fines at a rate disproportionate to either inflation or the average household income in the state. So their license gets suspended for failure to pay. Then the late fees are added in, and Duval county in particular has a bad reputation for farming the debts out to predatory collection agencies, who in turn tack on their own fees and costs. I have seen so many clients who had fines that had run up like this totaling thousands of dollars, all of which have to be paid to get your license back.

It's like drivers' license debtors' prison for poor people. It's a real thing.