Author Topic: Urban Construction Update - Fall 2017  (Read 2120 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Urban Construction Update - Fall 2017
« on: November 06, 2017, 03:00:03 AM »
Urban Construction Update - Fall 2017

Major construction projects have returned to the landscape of Jacksonville's urban core. Find out where (and more) as we take a brief look at the status of various developments under construction in and around Downtown Jacksonville during fall 2017.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2017-nov-urban-construction-update-fall-2017

acme54321

Re: Urban Construction Update - Fall 2017
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 07:59:48 AM »
I'm sure "Seafood Island" is already making a lot of friends with that paint job  :o

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 09:37:32 AM »
I have taken an even greater appreciation of these updates now that I'm not in town everyday.
Everbalance will make it the 5th yoga studio in the neighborhood (and second barre studio)

JBTripper

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 12:17:55 PM »
Industry West is moving their headquarters into the Stellers Gallery space? Where will all of their employees, not to mention their customers, park? WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE PARKING?

jk everybody knows parking only matters if you're serving alcohol.

lastdaysoffla

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 06:44:26 PM »
I'm sure "Seafood Island" is already making a lot of friends with that paint job  :o

wait till you see the sign

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 08:24:09 PM »

wait till you see the sign

Good lord...I mean I'm typically a free market person....but that paint is ugly as hell. You can do those colors and look good. They just did not.

jaxnyc79

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 07:06:42 AM »
Green...stomach virus...vomit...seafood...all wrong

jaxnyc79

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 08:11:08 AM »
I was in Jacksonville at the end of October to visit the parents and decided to take a drive downtown.  Still rooting for downtown's success (however that's defined), but a few observations:

>Why are the renovations of the Barnett Bank Building and Laura Street Trio expected to be more catalytic than 11E and the Carling?
>There is still no apparent, compelling draw in being downtown versus so many other parts of Jacksonville.  Feels a bit like a wasteland.  I suppose once everything comes online, all of this will change.
>Nice job on Cowford Chophouse, now if you could get about 15 of those in relative, walkable density, perhaps there'd be the beginnings of a very unique place in Jax...

Tacachale

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 08:28:26 AM »
I was in Jacksonville at the end of October to visit the parents and decided to take a drive downtown.  Still rooting for downtown's success (however that's defined), but a few observations:

>Why are the renovations of the Barnett Bank Building and Laura Street Trio expected to be more catalytic than 11E and the Carling?
>There is still no apparent, compelling draw in being downtown versus so many other parts of Jacksonville.  Feels a bit like a wasteland.  I suppose once everything comes online, all of this will change.
>Nice job on Cowford Chophouse, now if you could get about 15 of those in relative, walkable density, perhaps there'd be the beginnings of a very unique place in Jax...

Re Barnett Bank and Laura Street, I'd say it wouldn't be more transformative than the Carling or 11E, per se, other than being a much bigger project (4 old buildings and several new ones, taking up nearly a full block of total space). It's more a compliment to those projects as it's within a block of both. It'll also bring activity to a more prominent street on both sides.

Other than individual events, or wanting to go to specific spots, Downtown is still far behind other parts of the urban core in terms of attracting people.

Cowford Chophouse was a passion project, not easily replicated. But there are plenty of other spaces to activate, either rehabbing an existing building, or at some point, building new.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 09:02:42 AM by Tacachale »
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 08:51:05 AM »
Jaxnyc79, you mentioned downtown needing like 15 more Cowford Chophouses within walking distance of each other. Consider the Barnett, Trio and Lerner Shops/FSCJ projects being 5 of those immediately going up next to the Carling and 11 East. Then add 2 major new construction infill projects associated with the Trio (Marriott and garage with street retail). So more like 7 of those 15 coming online together.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxrox

• Juno Who
    • Personal Page  FOLLOW ME IF YOU DARE
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 02:00:33 AM »
Acme, you are right! Ugh. Seafood Island shoulda gone with a turquoise and salmon color scheme, in my humble opinion

lastdaysoffla

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 06:50:12 PM »
I peeked in the Bearded Buffalo building today. They seem about ready to open(if they haven't already?) I was surprised, I thought it was one of those pipe dream projects. Like how we thought Happy Grilled Cheese was gonna open in Five Points forever and it never materialized.

Look good in there.