Author Topic: Ikea sets opening date. How exciting.  (Read 3273 times)

sanmarcomatt

Ikea sets opening date. How exciting.
« on: October 12, 2017, 08:05:44 AM »
Personally, I cannot imagine ever going to an Ikea  but evidently this is a big deal for Jax. To each his own. I bolded what I thought was the highlight.

http://jacksonville.com/news/2017-10-12/ikea-sets-grand-opening-date-jacksonville-store

On Thursday, the mega-popular home furnishings store announced that its store will open at 9 a.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 8. Customers can begin lining up at the store as early as Monday, Nov. 6.

carpnter

Re: Ikea sets opening date. How exciting.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 09:08:31 AM »
Their Kallax shelves are great for storing vinyl records.

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 09:21:30 AM »
The widening of the Gate parkway I-295 exit should have begun in tandem with this project. 

Todd_Parker

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 03:35:59 PM »
the a la carte chocolate cake from the restaurant alone is worth the wait.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 05:17:31 PM »
Lol definitely not worth lining up days in advance of the doors opening.  However,  places like Macy's and IKEA are long desired toys for many here. Some view them as a "we arrived" status symbol. With that said, if you have little kids and want an hour of free time, they are good for free baby sitting.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 05:34:22 PM »
Lol definitely not worth lining up days in advance of the doors opening.  However,  places like Macy's and IKEA are long desired toys for many here. Some view them as a "we arrived" status symbol. With that said, if you have little kids and want an hour of free time, they are good for free baby sitting.

I view going to Ikea like going to a Walmart without the bargains, and where the line starts the second you walk in the door. Last time I was in Tampa I tried to resist it, but got outvoted by the three ladies I was with, and ended up spending a good chunk of my morning perusing particle board furniture with stupid names. At least in Tampa there's a good brewery right across the street; ours won't even have that.

But it's definitely a status symbol, and it'll be nice not to have to go to Orlando or Tampa when we do need some affordable Swedish crap.

Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

seaspray

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 06:59:45 PM »
Have fun fighting all the crowds at Ikea

Meanwhile, I'll be in an obscure dive bar in Riverside trying to convince myself that the crappy music they are playing sounds great and the piss-tasting craft beer tastes good.

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 07:07:23 PM »
Tacachale, you just have to bring your own great beer

MusicMan

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 08:04:15 PM »
Tacachale, Open up your own store and see who comes to buy your crap.  Or maybe you already did?

The Swedish crap is better than the Chinese crap the rest of the USA buys.

acme54321

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 08:41:46 PM »
The Swedish crap is better than the Chinese crap the rest of the USA buys.

You do realize that 99% of the stuff Ikea sells is made in China and other Asian countries?

jaxjaguar

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 09:14:03 PM »
I'm not sure if it's mindset or what, but I find that most people who "would never shop at ikea", haven't even given them a chance or have settled down in life already. This store will be wildly successful between all of the apartment complexes within a 10 mile radius, UNF, JU, FSCJ and Flagler. It'll also be a factor into younger talents decision to move to Jax from other cities.

As someone who lived the apartment life and moved 11 times in the last 7 years (school/work), my Ikea furniture/other items have held up well and are extremely easy to move solo since they're light and easy to disassemble. Now that I own a house they're an convenient one stop shop for all of the things I never needed in an apartment. I don't plan on owning their stuff forever, but it looks nice, is cheap and gets the job done in a pinch.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 09:37:53 PM »
They'll do fine. It's a pretty small store in comparison to the rest of them across the state and in Atlanta.  Plus, they'll pull shoppers from the Panhandle and coastal Georgia.  I doubt I'll be buying furniture out of there but it's good to have another retail option available in Jax.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

avonjax

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 08:51:51 AM »
I love IKEA. Fun store and love their kitchen and bathroom options. Seems to be similar quality to the big box stores like Home Depot and Lowe's only a lot cooler looking. You can get great ideas for small spaces and who ever said their furniture was investment? Their prices are CHEAP for most of the furniture and creative people can have a blast.

avonjax

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 08:52:34 AM »
By the way I was talking about the kitchen stuff when comparing to HD and Lowe's.

acme54321

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 09:15:21 AM »
Seems to be similar quality to the big box stores like Home Depot and Lowe's only a lot cooler looking.

Exactly.  Some of their furniture is actually pretty decent quality.  Most of it seems to be your typical pressboard variety that won't hold together after a couple of moves but we also have a dresser from there that is solid wood.  It's a surprisingly nice piece for what it is.