Author Topic: On Confederate monuments, Jacksonville is a city divided  (Read 1416 times)

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
On Confederate monuments, Jacksonville is a city divided
« on: October 12, 2017, 06:48:56 AM »
Interesting poll but not surprising. The same was true about women's suffrage and civil rights when they came to a head decades ago. We've always been a country that's been culturally divided, with perspectives shaped from the environments we've become used to individually, so this is a microcosm of that.

Most Jacksonville voters do not support removing the city’s Confederate monuments from public property, but the issue divides residents sharply along partisan and racial lines, according to a University of North Florida survey of 509 Duval County registered voters.

White voters overwhelmingly oppose moving them — 54 percent “strongly oppose” it — while 47 percent of black voters “strongly support” removing them. The issue drives a similarly divisive dynamic along party lines, with Democrats overwhelmingly in favor and Republicans opposed.

Full article: http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2017-10-12/confederate-monuments-jacksonville-city-divided
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

benfranklinbof

• Murray Hill Billy
Re: On Confederate monuments, Jacksonville is a city divided
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 07:37:36 AM »
I don’t know anyone who voted. I think there would be more against it but the people who are for it are more actively involved which makes them look like the majority.
Murray Hill Billy

Tacachale

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 02:49:05 PM »
^No one voted, it's a poll.

The numbers aren't surprising, though the level of support for keeping the monuments is lower than previous indications. One of the pro-monument groups sponsored a poll that supposedly found 75% of Jaxsons wanted to keep the monuments, although they never released the poll as far as I've seen, so who knows what the methodology was.

A national poll by PBS in August found that 62% of Americans - this is all Americans, not just Southerners - wanted to keep Confederate monuments, and only 27% wanted them down, with 11% unsure. In fact, 44% of African-Americans wanted the monuments to stay, and 42% wanted them removed.

The UNF poll (links here and here) shows that 54% of Jaxsons want to keep the monuments, and 38% want to remove them. That suggests that Jaxsons favor removing Confederate monuments at a higher rate than the national average as of August. It's likely that support has increased since then due to the media coverage and education about the issue.

And as Lake says, the fact that the majority wants something doesn't mean it's right when a minority group is the one that's most affected.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

JaxNole

• Riverside Community Gardens
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 04:29:44 PM »
This "Other" male, aged 35-44, indicated strong support for removal. :)

Tacachale

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 04:41:19 PM »
Another UNF poll released yesterday shows the numbers across the state. Only 40% of Floridians want the monuments kept; 47% want them "moved to museums where they can be viewed in historical context", and another 9% want them removed entirely. It's strictly divided on partisan lines; 67% of Republicans want the monuments kept; 76% of Democrats want them moved or removed.

https://www.unf.edu/publicrelations/media_relations/press/2017/New_UNF_Poll_Finds_Razor_Thin_Lead_for_Nelson_in_Upcoming_Senatorial_Election.aspx

I'm willing to bet the national attitude has changed a lot since that PBS poll in August, and clearly things are changing in Jacksonville. I wouldn't be surprised if in a year or two, a majority of Jaxsons want the statues removed.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

lastdaysoffla

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 11:30:08 PM »
How do embed YouTube videos?

anyway a VOX piece on the monuments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOkFXPblLpU

Murder_me_Rachel

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 09:57:58 AM »
Another UNF poll released yesterday shows the numbers across the state. Only 40% of Floridians want the monuments kept; 47% want them "moved to museums where they can be viewed in historical context", and another 9% want them removed entirely. It's strictly divided on partisan lines; 67% of Republicans want the monuments kept; 76% of Democrats want them moved or removed.

https://www.unf.edu/publicrelations/media_relations/press/2017/New_UNF_Poll_Finds_Razor_Thin_Lead_for_Nelson_in_Upcoming_Senatorial_Election.aspx

I'm willing to bet the national attitude has changed a lot since that PBS poll in August, and clearly things are changing in Jacksonville. I wouldn't be surprised if in a year or two, a majority of Jaxsons want the statues removed.

Just more evidence that politics is purely resentment for Republicans at this point.  I cannot believe any of them truly care about the statutes.  BUT, if they make the libs mad then they're for them.  So, so, so fucking stupid.