Author Topic: JAX/JIA updates  (Read 153631 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: JAX/JIA updates
« Reply #405 on: August 16, 2022, 08:58:09 AM »
JetBlue's JAX-LAX hit the can:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue-route-cuts-nyc-florida/

To me it was an odd route to begin with. JetBlue isn't hugely competitive as an LAX hub, and I felt like they were a ways away from being competitive there.
I think the Newark flight was also axed.

Yep. I think the EWR stuff may also be related to them divesting gates at EWR as a potential condition of the Spirit Merger.

Side note....I have no idea what JetBlue is doing. Why they'd want to expand significantly at Newark makes zero sense, given their massive presence at JFK. JFK and EWR serve similar purposes - both are a bit from Manhattan, both are international capable, etc. Every other airline either has a significant presence at one or the other; no one has a significant presence at both. LGA is different as there are a couple airlines that have hubs at both LGA and either JFK or EWR (Delta and American come to mind). That and the desperation to buy Spirit, an airline that really doesn't harmonize well with them is mind boggling.

Gators312

« Reply #406 on: August 16, 2022, 10:48:40 PM »
That and the desperation to buy Spirit, an airline that really doesn't harmonize well with them is mind boggling.

The Spirit purchase is simply about Airbus aircraft and pilots. Spirit has 181 Airbus 320 Family aircraft and another 130 on order.  JetBlue is an all Airbus fleet and Airbus' 320 order book is sold out through 2026-2027.

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #407 on: August 17, 2022, 09:00:50 PM »
Yeah the JetBlue delays have been maddening. And many have not been weather related. It was things like not having available gates or pilots maxing out their hours of flight time. But what's really messed up is the JFK transfers to American Airlines flights. AA is in a different terminal but the Airtrain is no use because its far and they have to go through security again so a minor delay is really problematic for passengers. Numerous times getting off at JFK have we been asked to make room for panicked travelers desperate to make the shuttle to take them to the AA gates.

A shame to lose those Newark and LAX flights. Those Newark flights were always full and with a lot of Southern Californians considering moving to Florida losing that non-stop will be a missed opportunity. I'm hopeful Breeze and possibly Avelo will see this and capitalize with West coast flights of their own.

Snaketoz

« Reply #408 on: September 07, 2022, 07:34:56 PM »
Breeze has announced new non stops from Jax to Las Vegas.
“No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.”

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #409 on: September 07, 2022, 09:24:23 PM »
The Las Vegas flight leaves at 9:50 a.m. and arrives at 11:50 a.m. Flights from Las Vegas leave at 12:30 p.m. and arrive at 8 p.m. Fares will be as low as $122.

Help me out here.  The flight from Jax to LV is 4 hours (adjusting for the 2 hour time zone differential).  But the return flights are 5.5 hours?  How can that be if they are nonstop.  Usually, east bound flights are shorter due to prevailing tail winds, to boot.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #410 on: September 08, 2022, 09:51:52 AM »
The raw flight time from Jax to Vegas is 5 hours.  The return trip is about 4.5 hours.