Author Topic: JAX/JIA updates  (Read 80364 times)

landfall

Re: JAX/JIA updates
« Reply #330 on: December 17, 2020, 04:58:13 PM »
Long, long overdue. Great news for the city.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #331 on: December 17, 2020, 06:49:49 PM »
I am a LITTLE concerned with the size of the plane - 162 seats, which for JetBlue is probably the smallest plane that they'd feel comfortable using on the route (they only have 1 smaller plane - seats 100 but the range makes it a little tight if there's Weather). I thought this might be a route Delta would try once their LAX renovations are complete as they have a 109 seat plane that could service the route fine range-wise.

For context Delta's flight that failed seated about 160 as well, which at the time was the smallest plane that could handle the range.

“We worked 12 years to restore the JAX-LAX route since losing it as a result of the 2008 financial crisis,” VanLoh said in the news release. “Not only is Los Angeles one of our largest unserved destinations, we are one of theirs as well. This is a huge win.”

The good news is in the 12 years since the last direct flight, Jax has substantially more people.  I don't have figures in front of me but I would guess, at 1.5% growth per year, compounded, we might have at least 20 to 25% more persons eligible to fly this route.

While we have used mostly San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose or Seattle for a jumping off point for trips to Hawaii or Asia, LAX works too for many such destinations, so this isn't just about So. California access.

That would be true if Delta brought back direct JAX to LAX flights. JetBlue doesn't fly to the Pacific. Delta is still far superior for such trips from Jax. There is a superior direct slot from JAX to DTW that will then access the old Northwest Pacific flight slots (or a direct flight from ATL to Tokyo if you are shooting for a particular arrival time)... if one is desiring such a trip.

The old JAX to LAX Delta route was about 70% business travelers... and usually less than half full.  The Pacific leisure travelers didn't make much of an impact.  Most of the leisure travelers I talked to, were going to/from domestic destinations like PacNW or Las Vegas
Understood, but their are circumstances where some will be willing to make such connections via Jet Blue.  Examples might include dollar savings, use of or gaining more points with Jet Blue or its partners, loyalty to Jet Blue over other airlines, better scheduling match for the traveler, seat availability, meeting up with others from other parts of the country, or wanting to spend one or more days in the LA area before traveling further.

I know that during certain times of the year, weather can also influence routing and cause concerns about making connecting flights (Atlanta seems to be a bottleneck every time a thunderstorm passes by.  I came back from a very long and on-time fight from Tokyo to ATL and had to wait for hours for the final leg to Jax for that reason. And, I have experienced DFW closing in the winter for ice storms.).

One thing I have learned in my travels is that there are endless variations to trip planning.

Regardless, I hope this flight holds up and leads to another one to the San Francisco area next.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #332 on: December 17, 2020, 08:10:00 PM »
Also, the pending JetBlue & American Airlines alliance should help this route.

fhrathore

« Reply #333 on: December 17, 2020, 08:13:54 PM »
Just curious, was the old Delta route the only JAX-LAX in history or were there previous attempts?

Sidebar - would be nice to get flights to PHX

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #334 on: December 18, 2020, 10:06:16 AM »
Just curious, was the old Delta route the only JAX-LAX in history or were there previous attempts?

Sidebar - would be nice to get flights to PHX

I believe so, yes.

landfall

« Reply #335 on: February 08, 2021, 06:50:26 PM »
https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2021/01/20/silver-airways-to-provide-nonstop-flights-from-jacksonville-to-greenville-spartanburg/

Weird. Whats the connection between Jacksonville and Greenville/Spartanburg? I'd have expected Memphis or Birmingham or New Orleans being attemped long before there.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #336 on: February 11, 2021, 12:25:15 AM »
https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2021/01/20/silver-airways-to-provide-nonstop-flights-from-jacksonville-to-greenville-spartanburg/

Weird. Whats the connection between Jacksonville and Greenville/Spartanburg? I'd have expected Memphis or Birmingham or New Orleans being attemped long before there.

I don't know.  Greenville is near Furman and Clemson Universities and not too far from Asheville.  Other than that...  both cities have an airport runway and available gates?  LOL.  Personally, I would drive this before I would fly given the end-to-end "airport experience" isn't all that much less than the drive time.

Here are the largest employers in the South Carolina Upstate that covers both cities.  See if you can connect many dots.

https://www.upstatescalliance.com/data-resources/major-employers/

MAJOR EMPLOYERS
Largest Employers – All Sectors
Company

Employee Range  Line of Business

Prisma Health – Upstate    5000+    Healthcare system
State of South Carolina    5000+    State government
BMW
   5000+    Automobile manufacturer
Greenville County Schools    5000+    K-12 public education
Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System    5000+    Healthcare system
United States Government    5000+    Federal government
Michelin North America    5000+    Tire manufacturing
Wal-Mart    5000+    Retail stores and distribution
Clemson University    5000+    Public research university
Bon Secours St. Francis Health System    
2501 to 5000

Healthcare system
Milliken & Company    2501 to 5000    
Textiles, floor covering, performance materials, and specialty chemicals
AnMed Health    2501 to 5000    Healthcare system
GE Power    2501 to 5000    Power generation, energy delivery and water process technologies
Duke Energy Corp.    2501 to 5000    Utility provider
Bi-Lo    2501 to 5000    Retail grocery stores
Greenville County    
2501 to 5000
   County government and administration
ZF Transmissions Gray Court, LLC    2501 to 5000    Automatic transmissions manufacturer

Largest Employers – Manufacturing
Company Name    Employee Range     Line of Business

BMW    5000+    Automobile manufacturer
Michelin North America    5000+    Designs, manufactures, and sells tires for every type of vehicle
Milliken & Company    2501 to 5000    Textiles, floor covering, performance materials, and specialty chemicals manufacturers
GE Power    2501 to 5000    Gas turbine manufacturing
ZF Transmissions Gray Court LLC    1001 to 2500    8-speed automatic transmission manufacturing, as well as the world’s first 9-speed automatic transmission
AFL    1001 to 2500    Electronic components and systems, wiring and cables
DAA Draexlmaier Automotive of America LLC    1001 to 2500    Interior parts, E-box, handbrake/gear cover, & main harnesses
Eaton Corp    1001 to 2500    Medium voltage assembly, power distribution, specialty transformer, industrial controls manufacturing
Electrolux    1001 to 2500    Top-freezer refrigerators and under-the counter refrigerators
Freightliner Custom Chassis Corporation    1000 to 2500    Manufactures chassis for RV, walk-in van, and busses
Magna International    1001 to 2500    Automotive body panels, car seating, and front and rear exterior components; assembles body systems
Nestle Prepared Foods Division    1001 to 2500    Frozen specialties
Robert Bosch, LLC    1001 to 2500    Gasoline systems and electronic automotive components
Sealed Air Corp.    1001 to 2500    Plastic bags and plastic film
Techtronic Industries Power Equipment (TTI)    1001 to 2500    Power-driven handtools
The Timken Company    1001 to 2500    Ball and roller bearings
BASF Corp    501 to 1000    Chemical and thermoplastic composites
BorgWarner Inc.    501 to 1000    Powertrain components and transfer cases for the automotive industry
Bosch Rexroth Corp    501 to 1000    Fluid power pumps and motors
SAGE Automotive Interiors    501 to 1000    Automotive textiles
Carolina Pride Foods, Inc    501 to 1000    Sausages and other prepared meats
E&I Engineering Corp. USA    501 to 1000    Electronic switchgears and busducts
First Quality Enterprises, Inc.    501 to 1000    Paper and tissue products, packaging printing
FUJIFILM Manufacturing USA, Inc.    501 to 1000    Photographic equipment and supplies
Glen Raven Custom Fabric, LLC    501 to 1000    Performance fabrics for solar protection
Grupo Antolin    501 to 1000    Automotive interior components
Honeywell    501 to 1000    Engine parts for military and civilian aircraft
House of Raeford Farms, Inc    501 to 1000    Poultry & turkey processing
Inman Mills    501 to 1000    Advanced yarns and fabrics
Itron    501 to 1000    Electricity meters including smart meters
JTEKT/Koyo Bearings North America LLC    501 to 1000    Nearings, driveline components, steering systems and machine tools primarily for automobile transmissions, torque converters and air conditioning compressors
Lear Corp.    501 to 1000    Automotive seating
Lonza    501 to 1000    Capsule manufacturing, liquid filled hard capsules manufacturing, and product development
Gestamp    501 to 100    Automotive metal stampings and welded assemblies
Mitsubishi Polyester Film, Inc.    501 to 1000    Silicone treated PET films
Nutra Manufacturing, Inc.    501 to 1000    Vitamin preparations and dietary supplements
Schneider Electric    501 to 1000    Motor control centers, enclosed drives and starters
Siemens Energy Management    501 to 1000    Electrical apparatus products, (panels, lighting, bus way, bus plus)
Sterilite Corp.    501 to 1000    Plastic houseware products
Yanfeng Automotive Interiors    501 to 1000    Automobile interior components (center consoles, door panels, instrument panels, & seats)

Largest Headquarters in the Upstate
Company    Employee Range    Line of Business    Type of Headquarters

BMW
   5000+    Automobile manufacturer    North American
Michelin North America
   5000+    
Designs, manufactures, and sells tires for every type of vehicle.

North American
Milliken & Company
   5000+    
Textiles, floor covering, performance materials, and specialty chemicals

International
GE Power
   2501 to 5000    
Gas turbine manufacturing plant and off-grid gas turbine validation facility; on-site inspection, repair, and engineering

Divisional
AFL
   1001 to 2500    
Electronic components and systems, wiring and cables.

International
American Services, Inc.
   1001 to 2500    
Multi-faceted provider for security, staffing and janitorial services

National
Draexlmaier Automotive of America, LLC
   1001 to 2500    
Automotive interior and plastic components

North American
Fluor Corp.
   1001 to 2500    
Engineering Services

Regional
SAGE Automotive Interiors
   1001 to 2500    
Develops and manufactures automotive bodycloth and headliners; headquarters

International
Spectrum    1001 to 2500    Cable company, customer service center    Regional
SYNNEX Corp.
   1001 to 2500    
Distribution of IT products and services

National; Divisional
Techtronic Industries Power Equipment (TTI)
   1001 to 2500    
Power-driven handtools

North American; Divisional
The Spinx Company, Inc.
   1001 to 2500    
Gas stations and convenience stores.

National
Verizon Wireless
   1001 to 2500    
Customer service and telesales divisions, headquarters
   Regional
Freightliner Custom Chassis
   501 to 1000    
Manufactures chassis for RV, walk-in van, commercial and school bus industries

North American; Divisional
FUJIFILM Manufacturing USA, Inc.
   501 to 1000    
Platemaking services

North American
Hamrick Mills, Inc.
   501 to 1000    
Greige Woven Fabrics
   National
Hubbell Lighting, Inc.
   501 to 1000    
Lighting manufacturers
   International
Inman Mills
   501 to 1000    
Advanced yarns and fabrics
   National
JTEKT/Koyo Bearings USA
   501 to 1000    
North American operational headquarters and KOYO bearing product technical center
   Divisional
Lockheed Martin Aeronautics    501 to 1000    Aerospace, defense, security and advanced technologies    Divisional
Mitsubishi Polyester Film Inc.
   501 to 1000    
Unsupported plastics film and sheet
   North American
Nutra Manufacturing, Inc.
   501 to 1000    
Pharmaceutical preparations
   National
Orian Rugs
   501 to 1000    
Carpets and rugs
   International
QS/1
   501 to 1000    
Healthcare and government software and services
   Divisional
ScanSource, Inc.
   501 to 1000    
Technology products and solutions
   International
Spartanburg Steel Products, Inc.
   501 to 1000    
High quality metal stampings, welded sub-assemblies and major body modules
   International
Yokahama Industries Americas, Inc.    501 to 1000    Automotive fluid handling components

jaxjags

« Reply #337 on: February 11, 2021, 02:12:06 PM »
No sure I get the drive versus flight time comment, especially as it relates to business travelers. 1 hour 40 minutes versus 5-6 hours is a good difference, especially since neither airport requires long check in times. Time is money for business travelers. Reasons - BMW, Michelin and several other large employers in the area. Also, I'm sure they looked at existing travel history for both cities.

My only concern is can they "steal" the existing Delta and American business travelers using ATL and CLT.

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #338 on: February 11, 2021, 05:49:54 PM »
No sure I get the drive versus flight time comment, especially as it relates to business travelers. 1 hour 40 minutes versus 5-6 hours is a good difference, especially since neither airport requires long check in times. Time is money for business travelers. Reasons - BMW, Michelin and several other large employers in the area. Also, I'm sure they looked at existing travel history for both cities.

My only concern is can they "steal" the existing Delta and American business travelers using ATL and CLT.

As noted, I said "personally."  I get the business case although if someone is not working all through the airport and flight, that might be less clear.  I have taken business trips where, for various reasons or based on the time of day, that wasn't as easy to pull off as one might expect.

That aside, I am figuring about a one hour drive to the airport and parking, one hour at least to arrive early and clear security, boarding, flight time and off-boarding of at least two hours, one hour to get out of the destination airport (and maybe a bit more if renting a car) and more time to drive to wherever at the destination I am staying.  And, all this assumes the flight runs on time.  This easily adds up to about the drive time or more. 

With driving, I can leave and return when I want, no car to park here or rent there, no luggage limits or extra charges, no concerns about late running or cancelled flights, no uncomfortable or tiny seats and likely able to travel at the same or less costs (especially if traveling with others in the car).  Of course, with COVID, no fellow passengers to deal with.

For personal travel, I have generally concluded I would rather drive if I am within about a day's drive (e.g. plus or minus 11 or 12 hours).  That covers much of the southeast and south to mid-Atlantic states based on my interstate speeds  ;D.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 06:23:12 PM by jaxlongtimer »

landfall

« Reply #339 on: April 06, 2021, 04:08:32 PM »
New Jacksonville-New Orleans flights coming. Curious to see how this flight does. Think it'll do well, no competition on the rail or road either.

Silver Airways announced April 6 it will offer nonstop flights from Jacksonville International Airport to Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport.

The service begins June 3 with fares starting at $79 until July 11, the airline said in a news release.

The fights are Thursday and Sunday departing Jacksonville at 11:35 a.m. and arriving in New Orleans at 1:05 p.m.

Flights will depart New Orleans at 1:45 p.m. and arrive in Jacksonville at 5:10 p.m.

“New Orleans is one of our most requested leisure destinations,” Jacksonville Aviation Authority CEO Mark VanLoh said in the release.

In the past several months, Silver Airways added flights from Jacksonville to Tampa, Fort Lauderdale and Greenville-Spartanburg, South Carolina.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #340 on: April 06, 2021, 08:17:36 PM »
I'm hopeful this route will fare better than the Allegiant route. The additional gates at the MSY should help as well.

jaxdan3

« Reply #341 on: April 21, 2021, 12:10:57 PM »
Jetblue is adding service from JAX to Laguardia starting in October, this is in addition to the existing JFK service.