Author Topic: JAX/JIA updates  (Read 59536 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: JAX/JIA updates
« Reply #285 on: April 16, 2020, 09:58:28 AM »
I think we're going to see some contraction on routes more than we'll see new routes. For example, Delta launched their non-stop route to RDU. Unless the thing is just off the charts successful, I see that being dumped. I also think you'll see reduced frequencies for the non-mega hubs. In other words, JAX-ATL is likely safe for all or most of it's daily flights, but maybe JAX-MSP get the axe.

It likely depends on how fast the recovery is. The bailout coves most of the airlines through September.

Snaketoz

« Reply #286 on: April 16, 2020, 10:05:30 AM »
I think it will be a long time before JAX gets back to where they were before the Covid-19 situation.  Sad, as the new expansion, hoped for new routes, and continued progress are now doubtful.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #287 on: April 16, 2020, 10:09:30 AM »
I think it will be a long time before JAX gets back to where they were before the Covid-19 situation.  Sad, as the new expansion, hoped for new routes, and continued progress are now doubtful.

Unfortunately, I agree. It might be a good idea to complete the architectural stuff so it's ready to roll at some point, but I don't see dirt being turned.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #288 on: April 16, 2020, 11:13:59 AM »
I would just like to see more routes into hubs. For instances, On American, Jax-Mia is very good but Jax-DCA or Jax-PHL could be better for routing purposes with the airlines. I think turning these planes around with the amount of cleaning that will be done may be a difficult tasks for the airlines. Therefore, re-thinking routes could be advantageous.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #289 on: April 16, 2020, 11:25:52 AM »
Orlando's airport received $171 million. It hit 50 million passengers in the past fiscal year. Now they expect to end up around 25 million passengers this year. It took the airport five years to recover from traffic lost in 2009 due to the recession. This pandemic on the airline industry is considered to be worse.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxdan3

« Reply #290 on: June 21, 2020, 10:08:15 AM »
Jetblue is adding once daily service to Newark airport next month giving a JAX-EWR option other than United.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #291 on: June 22, 2020, 01:17:29 PM »

tufsu1

« Reply #292 on: June 22, 2020, 10:00:33 PM »
Three years seems too long to pause this project.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/jacksonville-international-airport-concourse-b-expansion-suspended-at-least-3-years

not really - the airline industry is expecting it to take that long to return to 2019 levels

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #293 on: June 23, 2020, 09:24:16 AM »
Yep. Plus, nothing really stops them from picking it back up if the industry rebounds quicker than expected.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #294 on: July 16, 2020, 09:27:46 AM »
American and Jet Blue partnership

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/16/in-a-twist-american-partners-with-jetblue-in-bid-for-new-york-and-boston.html

We need some Jax-Bos routes to make this work but I would definitely favor Jax-Bos-London over Jax-CLT-London.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #295 on: July 16, 2020, 11:26:57 AM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/16/in-a-twist-american-partners-with-jetblue-in-bid-for-new-york-and-boston.html

We need some Jax-Bos routes to make this work but I would definitely favor Jax-Bos-London over Jax-CLT-London.

I think this makes sense

For New York the benefits are obvious: AA has been struggling in New York bad...to the point that pre-COVID they pulled a ton of their NY flights - leaving only enough to serve locals a bit and to maintain their strong partnership with British (AA/BA are far and away the leaders in the valuable JFK-LHR market). They've moved much of that NY operation to PHL where they have a very dominant position in that market. JetBlue is based on NY and has their largest (I think) hub at JFK, so this will enable JetBlue to basically be a domestic feeder network to AA's international flights, and further solidify their partnership with British.

Boston is interesting....JetBlue had been the most dominant airline there, but Delta has made a TON of inroads there, and recently upgraded BOS to officially be a hub for them. BOS is important to Delta pre-COVID as they can't grow their Transatlantic operation much more at JFK so what it appears they were working towards was adding a flight in BOS rather than adding a second or third flight to the same TATL destination out of JFK. That's a lot of info, but I'm sure exactly how this plays out. Perhaps this benefits JetBlue a bit as AA can then look to add TATL flights from BOS? British and Aer Lingus are both owned by the same parent company, and Aer Lingus has a VERY strong BOS operation due to the huge Irish population in Boston so there's a bit of a link between Aer Lingus and AA there.

Though I suppose the benefits at JFK alone are really powerful and worth it even if the Boston side of this deal ends up being very small.

In terms of the benefits for JAX, I'm still thinking pre-COVID as I don't really know how the air industry shakes out (I don't think anyone does). Pre-Covid I do think this could have sparked a good bit of competition on the JAX-JFK JAX-BOS flights as you have Delta and JetBlue both competing for the same people. United only flies to EWR from JAX (they actually have 0 flights at JFK) and as previously mentioned AA pulled their JAX-JFK flights somewhat recently.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #296 on: July 16, 2020, 12:02:43 PM »
Pre-Covid, I primarily flew OneWorld partners for the last few years. So, I haven’t been in JFK or BOS in quite sometime. So, I do know AA/BA agreed to add more flights to/from London through Logan but Covid altered those plans.

As for Jax, hopefully, we see some competitive fares starting in the 2nd half of 2021.

tufsu1

« Reply #297 on: July 17, 2020, 10:31:21 AM »

we do have direct JAX-BOS flights currently w/ Jet Blue - and the fares are quite good.

In fact, I am scheduled for a trip in a few weeks. Fingers crossed

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #298 on: July 23, 2020, 10:44:15 PM »

we do have direct JAX-BOS flights currently w/ Jet Blue - and the fares are quite good.

In fact, I am scheduled for a trip in a few weeks. Fingers crossed

I've made that flight many times. It's a godsend.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #299 on: August 12, 2020, 10:19:21 PM »
United adding dozens of flights to Florida but Jacksonville not among them.  It's Ft. Myers, Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando and Tampa.  Literally, left at the gate again!

United Airlines bets on Florida, adding dozens of flights on Nov. 6
The direct flights will take off from non-United hub cities

https://www.foxbusiness.com/industrials/united-airlines-bets-on-florida-adding-dozens-of-flights-on-nov-6