Author Topic: JAX/JIA updates  (Read 19500 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: JAX/JIA updates
« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2018, 11:34:34 AM »
I can confirm the state of SC did NOT pay incentives to get the British Airways flight for Charleston.

Conde Nast has ranked Charleston as either #1 city in the US and/or the world for many years now. It gets its share of European visitors plus  Mercedes, Volvo and Boeing have all made large investments there.

Wow. I get the corporate base and tourism, but this has the be the smallest Transatlantic market for BA by far.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2018, 11:46:21 AM »
I can confirm the state of SC did NOT pay incentives to get the British Airways flight for Charleston.

Conde Nast has ranked Charleston as either #1 city in the US and/or the world for many years now. It gets its share of European visitors plus  Mercedes, Volvo and Boeing have all made large investments there.

Wow. I get the corporate base and tourism, but this has the be the smallest Transatlantic market for BA by far.

I don't know about that. I just checked their US routes and the first city they list is Abilene.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2018, 12:20:44 PM »

I don't know about that. I just checked their US routes and the first city they list is Abilene.

Codeshare with AA, guaranteed. It would be BA to DFW, then AA Metal on a ticket sold by BA.

To clarify my statement - this has the be the smallest Transatlantic market operated by BA by far.

jaxdan3

« Reply #123 on: October 22, 2018, 12:29:53 PM »
https://charlestonbusiness.com/news/aerospace/75385/
"As part of the recruitment effort, the state Commerce Department allocated $1.3 million toward costs associated with the airline’s launch in Charleston."

https://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/TheBattery/archives/2018/10/18/now-boarding-british-airways-non-stop-service-from-charleston-to-london
"The Charleston International Airport is investing approximately $9 million to expand their kitchen, customs, and tarmac operations to support this and other long-haul destinations."

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2018, 12:51:08 PM »
https://charlestonbusiness.com/news/aerospace/75385/
"As part of the recruitment effort, the state Commerce Department allocated $1.3 million toward costs associated with the airline’s launch in Charleston."

https://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/TheBattery/archives/2018/10/18/now-boarding-british-airways-non-stop-service-from-charleston-to-london
"The Charleston International Airport is investing approximately $9 million to expand their kitchen, customs, and tarmac operations to support this and other long-haul destinations."

Well....that's interesting but to Vic's point, is not a direct route subsidy. Sounds like they're absorbing costs associated with BAs entry to the market. That's likely the $1.3M. The $9M is infrastructure, and the positive for the CHS folks is that this investment into their airport will survive even if BA decides to end the service. For example, while JAX has a Customs/Federal Inspection Station at the airport (entry is through gate C5), it would likely have to be expanded if it was regularly needed on a scheduled route.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2018, 09:45:59 PM »

Codeshare with AA, guaranteed. It would be BA to DFW, then AA Metal on a ticket sold by BA.

To clarify my statement - this has the be the smallest Transatlantic market operated by BA by far.

From what I can see, the smallest current markets served by BA transatlantic is New Orleans. Ottawa and Calgary are the smallest in Canada, and depending on what metrics you use might be considered smaller than NO? Not sure. But yeah Charleston is a good bit smaller than those.

Gunnar

« Reply #126 on: October 23, 2018, 04:27:46 AM »
Charleston is a hub, isn't it ? If I remember correctly, I flew through Charleston on my way to Jax from Germany.

So it would make sense for International carriers like BA to offer flights to Charleston if travelers could get to many others destinations via code share flights from there.
I want to live in a society where people can voice unpopular opinions because I know that as a result of that, a society grows and matures...” — Hugh Hefner

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #127 on: October 23, 2018, 05:44:39 AM »

From what I can see, the smallest current markets served by BA transatlantic is New Orleans. Ottawa and Calgary are the smallest in Canada, and depending on what metrics you use might be considered smaller than NO? Not sure. But yeah Charleston is a good bit smaller than those.

Sorry - my bad. Wasn't thinking about direct flights. Makes sense.

ben says

« Reply #128 on: October 23, 2018, 11:08:28 AM »
Charleston is a hub, isn't it ? If I remember correctly, I flew through Charleston on my way to Jax from Germany.

So it would make sense for International carriers like BA to offer flights to Charleston if travelers could get to many others destinations via code share flights from there.

CHS isn't a hub (never has been, even in the older days). Maybe you're thinking of Charlotte?
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #129 on: October 23, 2018, 11:14:37 AM »

CHS isn't a hub (never has been, even in the older days). Maybe you're thinking of Charlotte?

In my recollection, Charleston is a hub of oppressive heat and humidity.

blizz01

« Reply #130 on: October 24, 2018, 10:49:40 PM »
Interesting recollection of Charleston. I recall flying from Frankfurt to Charleston direct on World Airways circa 1984.

ben says

« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2018, 03:14:56 AM »
Interesting recollection of Charleston. I recall flying from Frankfurt to Charleston direct on World Airways circa 1984.

According to the Mayor of Charleston, and the Charleston Airport Authority, this new British Airways flight will be the first scheduled transatlantic flight to operate from Charleston in the city/airport´s history.

That said - there was a time when the US airforce used CHS as a bit of a ´hub´, flying soldiers back between WW2 and the Korean War. But that was strictly for military use, not civilian. (Maybe they were doing this into the 80s and 90s as well, not sure.)
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

blizz01

« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2018, 10:34:19 AM »
Yeah - I think you nailed it.  My family was returning from Rhein Main Air Force Base; I bet we flew into Charleston AFB.

jaxdan3

« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2018, 12:13:42 PM »
Louisville just got American Airlines nonstop service to LAX. I'm a little jealous that's the route I want added the most.

JAX_ASD

« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2018, 07:58:40 AM »