Author Topic: JAX/JIA updates  (Read 20105 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: JAX/JIA updates
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2018, 02:35:47 PM »
I just took Spirit from FLL to New Orleans last week for $78 roundtrip. Since I was in New Orleans for only three days, I packed my clothes in a backpack to avoid paying carry-on bag fees. As long as it's a short trip and you pack light, they're a good deal.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

itsfantastic1

« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2018, 04:39:49 PM »
I also just read this on News4Jax that JAX has had record breaking travelers and has sped up plans to build concourse B (which was torn down in 2009), add more parking and get more TSA scanners? I thought Concourse B was still a while from being needed since we are still a medium hub? I'm all for it, but I wasn't aware the scars of overexpansion had healed yet.

https://www.news4jax.com/travel/jacksonville-international-airport-adding-airline-losing-another

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2018, 04:55:23 PM »
I just took Spirit from FLL to New Orleans last week for $78 roundtrip. Since I was in New Orleans for only three days, I packed my clothes in a backpack to avoid paying carry-on bag fees. As long as it's a short trip and you pack light, they're a good deal.

My last experience on Spirit was not great but that was my fault (with a splash of non-compassion from Spirit but hey that's part of the deal doing business with ULCCs). Anyway, my last ULCC experience was Frontier a month ago and that went very well. I even bought a special bag for it since I anticipate using ULCCs and Basic Economy on the legacy carriers plenty of times in the future.

I also just read this on News4Jax that JAX has had record breaking travelers and has sped up plans to build concourse B (which was torn down in 2009), add more parking and get more TSA scanners? I thought Concourse B was still a while from being needed since we are still a medium hub? I'm all for it, but I wasn't aware the scars of overexpansion had healed yet.

https://www.news4jax.com/travel/jacksonville-international-airport-adding-airline-losing-another

Wow. Great news if true and yes, surprising.

Construction is expected to begin within the next three years.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2018, 08:21:19 AM »

The parking thing surprises me the least. I’d park in the garage if it were available, but every time I show up (which is about every other week) I’m not confident that I won’t be stuck on the roof of the garage. No point in parking there.

Not sure how they’re going to expand the TSA checkpoints, except by getting rid of the small food court pre-Security.

The Concourse B thing surprises me the most. All of the recent expansion doesn’t really necessitate a bunch of gates. For example, for all of those flights Frontier added, they are all a couple times a week-based on their schedule they should be able to service the schedule with 1 gate. Spirit shouldn’t even need a dedicated gate with their two flights. Unless one of the majors wants to expand (which is possible-on busy days Delta does make efficient use of their four gates.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2018, 09:21:49 AM »
The parking is definitely becoming an issue. There hasn’t been any surface packing available on my last few trips. I flew out yesterday and had to park on the 4th floor.

JaxVision

« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2018, 11:21:32 AM »
Good to hear JIA is looking into speeding up the concourse B, TSA and parking expansion. I fly regularly and have TSA pre check so the check point isn't that hard for me but JIA does need to expand TSA as those lines get congested regularly now. Even if the concourse B doesn't ever take shape the parking and TSA alone would be a great addition.

This airport is always ranked and talked highly among other airports and rightfully so, it is quick and easy to get in and out of, baggage is usually on time and smooth at least for Delta and compared to other Medium airports it is fairly high tech and clean.

If they do actually expand into concourse B it would be a Delta only concourse I assume. Jax has the largest Delta Medallion base in the country with flights all day so I could see a small new concourse with a new sky lounge built just for Delta.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2018, 01:56:23 PM »
Good to hear JIA is looking into speeding up the concourse B, TSA and parking expansion. I fly regularly and have TSA pre check so the check point isn't that hard for me but JIA does need to expand TSA as those lines get congested regularly now. Even if the concourse B doesn't ever take shape the parking and TSA alone would be a great addition.

This airport is always ranked and talked highly among other airports and rightfully so, it is quick and easy to get in and out of, baggage is usually on time and smooth at least for Delta and compared to other Medium airports it is fairly high tech and clean.

If they do actually expand into concourse B it would be a Delta only concourse I assume. Jax has the largest Delta Medallion base in the country with flights all day so I could see a small new concourse with a new sky lounge built just for Delta.

I'd say Delta, American, or Southwest. All have about the same spread of passengers (though Delta is my preferred too). The first phase of Concourse B shows 6 gates based on the airport master plan. I know Delta uses 4, and I believe Southwest and AA use 4 as well (so someone might take 6 to get their own area.

The other issue with Delta taking it (though I'd assume this could be worked out) is the current lounge is adjacent to A. Generally Delta (or any airline) would like their lounge near their gates.

I'd be curious who the biggest is in terms of revenue. Southwest is the biggest in terms of seats, and Delta was the biggest in terms of revenue, but that was before the US Airways-AA Merger.

ben says

« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2018, 01:30:02 PM »
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

Kerry

« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2018, 03:50:47 PM »
Third Place

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2018, 04:21:09 PM »
Austin and New Orleans didn't surprise me. Austin has over 2M in the metro and has a major research university. New Orleans is a MUCH larger tourism city than Jacksonville.

Charleston on the other hand REALLY surprised me. I've been trying to see if the State of South Carolina threw money at BA to try the route. Pretty crazy since outside of Alaska Airlines' route to SEA, CHS doesn't have a route west of the Rockies yet has a London route.

Given that CHS is the largest airport in SC, that could be the case (Tampa just did that with Delta for an AMS route.)

I think it's unlikely that the State of Florida throws incentives at a airline for a route. Florida has the 12th and 14th busiest airports in the US. If incentives come, COJ will have to cough up.

Personally, I'd be fine with service west of the Rockies. We need to get on that.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2018, 09:15:33 PM »
New Orleans and Austin both make a lot of sense. The Charleston-LHR route shocks me but makes me hopeful for a JAX-LGW route soon.

ben says

« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2018, 09:55:02 AM »
I´d be shocked if this flight lasts...

Wonder if it has something to do with the fact they're trying to make money vs. taking delivery of empty planes from SCs Boeing plant. Its a stretch, but...
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2018, 02:33:56 PM »
I´d be shocked if this flight lasts...

Wonder if it has something to do with the fact they're trying to make money vs. taking delivery of empty planes from SCs Boeing plant. Its a stretch, but...

I agree that it's questionable how viable a route life this twice a week would last but it's no big surprise why they wouldn't consider a transatlantic flight to the region. It has a thriving economy with a regional population that's close to Jacksonville's metro population some 25 years ago. Charleston's emerging food and restaurant culture has certainly drawn praise nationally but it's history of supporting arts (like the yearly Spoleto festival) has been noted internationally for years. And not only could Charleston draw international visitors with their rich history, but combine that with the other historical sites in the region plus more affordable vacation spots from Savannah to Myrtle Beach with similar Florida-style weather makes the UK and Europe a great potentially untapped market to draw from - particularly to what could arguably be one of the most hassle-free international airports in North America.

I think part of the issue why many of us wonder why Jacksonville doesn't push for more international flights has to do with the insular nature of many people who travel. It must shock so many people all over the world how many Americans of substantial financial means do not have current passports. Maybe that mindset is quickly changing in Jacksonville but given how far behind we are in attracting more international investment and tourism it becomes more clear how a city such as Charleston could lap us in this regard.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2018, 05:22:42 PM »
... the insular nature of many people who travel.

People who are traveling by their very nature of choosing to travel are the opposite of insular. 

vicupstate

« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2018, 09:16:49 AM »
I can confirm the state of SC did NOT pay incentives to get the British Airways flight for Charleston.

Conde Nast has ranked Charleston as either #1 city in the US and/or the world for many years now. It gets its share of European visitors plus  Mercedes, Volvo and Boeing have all made large investments there.

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln