Author Topic: JAX/JIA updates  (Read 14234 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: JAX/JIA updates
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2018, 12:03:07 PM »
Now I know for junior employees of companies it's common practice not to approve reimbursement of business class travel for flights under 2 or 3 hours, which would eliminate many of the 20-something's from being able to fly business on a JIA-ATL connection.  That being said, anyone who flies Delta regularly and books that connection in coach would routinely if not pretty much all the time get bumped up anyway, speaking from personal experience.

On planes themselves, with 767s pretty long gone and thankfully 757s now too, my favorite plane to fly is an up updated 737 extended or even a new 737 extended, I can't tell the difference, followed closely by A320 equivalent.

Good to hear you back. I'm with you on most of your post except these two:

- If you get regularly upgraded on JAX-ATL, you must have some discriminating photos of someone high up on Delta. I'm a Platinum this year and was a Diamond in 2017, and even as a Diamond, my upgrade percentage was WELL short of 50%. In many cases, I was #1/2/3/4 on the list for 0 or 1 seat. I was even double digits on the list as a Diamond once. I also have a few Delta 360 friends and they give their upgrade percentages of ~ 50%.

- I personally disagree on the Delta 757's. They've lost their luster for me since the retrofit, but I'd still consider them the best single aisle plane Delta has, particularly up front, and the best non-lie flat plane in their Fleet.

I haven’t been elite (I’m on American) on Delta since 2016 but my upgrade percentage from Jax to ATLANTA was over 50%. I have about the same upgrade percentage on American now whether I’m flying to Miami or Charlotte.

In my experience, and using the anecdotal experience of clients who fly on a daily basis, it´s exceptionally easy to get upgraded on the way to the hub - those 45 min jumper flights, given the lack of people with status in a place like JAX. That said - what´s your upgrade percentage flying not TO the hub, but ex-hub? Try getting upgraded flying ATL to Tokyo, or hell, MIA to NYC. Slim to none...fat chance at best.

In other news, I still hate the living daylight out of Delta  ;D

Excluding JAX-ATL or the inverse, my upgrade percentage was about 85% overall in 2017 as a Diamond, and that included transcons. This year as a Platinum it’s about 50/50.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2018, 07:02:15 AM »

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2018, 12:03:59 PM »
Thanks, although not much info there. So they are increasing their number of flights? There was already service between the two airports prior, although it may have just been several days a week and/or seasonal.

JaxAvondale

ben says

For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2018, 08:18:47 AM »
Generic Lounge associated with Priority Pass. Surprised AA wouldn’t consider an Admiral’s Club.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2018, 08:46:32 AM »
Actually in looking further, this will be part of "The Club" chain. Pleasantly surprised by that as they have a decent reputation. Normally you see them in International Airports, and a foreign carrier will contract with them. If the carrier operates one flight a day (example: Ethiad from Atlanta) it often doesn't make sense for them to open their own lounge.

Perhaps they're trying to use this as an extra incentive for a foreign carrier to try an Over the Pond route? By and large the Frontier/Allegiant/Southwest/Silver crowd don't usually have lounge access and Delta has their lounge.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 08:48:20 AM by Steve »

KenFSU

« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2018, 09:38:19 AM »
Actually in looking further, this will be part of "The Club" chain. Pleasantly surprised by that as they have a decent reputation. Normally you see them in International Airports, and a foreign carrier will contract with them. If the carrier operates one flight a day (example: Ethiad from Atlanta) it often doesn't make sense for them to open their own lounge.

Perhaps they're trying to use this as an extra incentive for a foreign carrier to try an Over the Pond route? By and large the Frontier/Allegiant/Southwest/Silver crowd don't usually have lounge access and Delta has their lounge.

There have been some discussions with British Airways as recently as yesterday about a direct route.

They're looking to branch out into some smaller airports, and just added Nashville earlier this summer.

British Airways' concern is less about filling the Jacksonville-to-London flights, and more about Jacksonville not being a strong enough brand as a city to fill the London-to-Jacksonville flights.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2018, 10:41:12 AM »
Anyone have any idea how the JAX-YYZ Air Canada route has been doing? I took it last July and it was ok iirc.

Re: lounge, it sounds pretty generic but it's a start. Since our move I seldom fly out of Jax but it is still really nice to see the progress.

jaxjags

« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2018, 01:28:39 PM »

There have been some discussions with British Airways as recently as yesterday about a direct route.

They're looking to branch out into some smaller airports, and just added Nashville earlier this summer.

British Airways' concern is less about filling the Jacksonville-to-London flights, and more about Jacksonville not being a strong enough brand as a city to fill the London-to-Jacksonville flights.

Any leverage using "Medical destination" from UK/Europe? I know that it would not fill planes, but it could help sell the area.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2018, 08:07:28 AM »

This was my thought as well. I would be ecstatic for a direct flight to London. I would fly this route multiple times per year.