Author Topic: JAX/JIA updates  (Read 15615 times)

TimmyB

• T
Re: JAX/JIA updates
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 08:52:04 PM »
OK, those ideas make sense.  Thanks!

ben says

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 01:16:52 AM »
I tend to fly with Southwest or Allegiant. What should I know ahead of time, if I were to book a flight with Frontier?

From what I understand, Frontier makes Spirit, Allegient, et al, look pretty damn good. Another poster on this forum, when visiting me last weekend, said this about Frontier: ´it was our worst nightmare, like flying in prison´ and ´would rather have taken a Greyhound bus from Cali to Jax´

I´m one of those who, when flying economy, doesn´t mind the difference between an ULCC, a LCC, or a regular old legacy carrier like DL UA AA....

BUT...the horror stories coming out of Frontier make me think: never, under any circumstances, fly them.

Wish I had better news, but I do trust this guys opinion (and I do work in the travel business - all my colleagues seem to say the same thing).
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

Gators312

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 07:10:06 AM »
I flew Frontier back in August MCO-DEN for last minute work trip.   I had no issues, other than the slimline seats that many carriers are going to now days.  4 hrs in those seats is about all I can handle.   Other than that, knowing how an ULCC works I had no issues.  I did pay extra for the "works" which gives you a seat up front with a wider pitch and pays for your bags etc. 

It wasn't nearly as bad as I expect Allegiant to be.  Just my .02

jaxjags

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 08:57:57 AM »
I have a friend who flew Frontier from Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco area. No complaints and said he would do again. I believe domestic coach flights as it relates to service is not much different for all major airlines these days.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 11:57:30 PM »
New Frontier routes

Jax to Austin, TX
Jax to Trenton, NJ

https://www.news4jax.com/travel/frontier-airlines-adds-flights-from-jacksonville-to-austin

I have never flown Frontier but hopefully we can get some competitive fares from other carriers.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 08:17:01 AM »
Hey that Austin flight is intriguing! This is like the third iteration of that Trenton route.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 10:26:04 PM »

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 11:00:04 PM »
I was on a long car ride so 2 hours ago I was staring at google in my phone and decided to search for "JIA new routes" and was pleasantly surprised to find the daily record article from one day ago. Never done that before. I should probably try that every few months and see if we keep getting service added. Maybe I can google some historic rehabs or infill into existence too...

Anyway, I'm glad I can always count on someone on MJ to update this thread if I'm ever incapacitated.

Louisville is a very nice add. And maybe when they finally move the nuclear carriers to Mayport some of the officers can fly down too.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 11:02:14 PM by ProjectMaximus »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2018, 07:37:36 AM »
New Frontier routes

Jax to Austin, TX
Jax to Trenton, NJ

https://www.news4jax.com/travel/frontier-airlines-adds-flights-from-jacksonville-to-austin

I have never flown Frontier but hopefully we can get some competitive fares from other carriers.

I flew Frontier to San Diego from MCO two weeks ago. Very small seats and they literally charge for everything.  I probably won't fly them cross country again, but would do so for a shorter trip. You can save a lot of money if you don't have baggage, carry ons and willing to sit in cheaper seats.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

JaxAvondale

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2018, 03:14:24 PM »
There is very little chance that I would fly a low cost carrier across the country. Even Southwest is a bit tough to fly to California from Florida.

Sonic101

• It's Coming
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2018, 01:31:13 PM »
So, Allegiant is in the news, and it's not good at all...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/allegiant-air-the-budget-airline-flying-under-the-radar/

For the past seven months, we have been scrutinizing 'service difficulty reports' filed by Allegiant with the FAA. They are official, self-reported records of problems experienced by their aircraft. What we found raised some disturbing questions about the performance of their fleet. Between January 1st, 2016 and the end of last October, we found more than 100 serious mechanical incidents...

The article is worth a read in full and really highlights the culture at Allegiant and some failings of the FAA.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2018, 02:19:26 PM »
Yeah I did not see the 60 Minutes story but I've read a half dozen articles about it, and tbh these numbers haven't been a secret at all for the past year or so.

That said, I am mildly concerned about flying them in a few weeks. Not enough to not take the flight, but enough for me to express slight concern on a message board. Hope this post doesn't live on in infamy!!

As others have said, I dont have much of an issue with any of these ULCCs. I am skinny and not very tall so space is usually not a concern. And as a frequent traveler I am usually prepared with work/personal entertainment/sleep so amenities don't too much to me. My main concerns are delays/cancellations and whether the ULCC can accommodate me in such an event, as well as the bag and seat selection fees when they are necessary (half the time I don't need either). So far, I think I have taken a total of 7 flights on Spirit and Allegiant. Of those, 6 went smoothly. Only one flight, on Allegiant, was delayed and it was almost 4 hours late. Not good but could have been much worse. And was compensated with some snacks at the gate and a $75 voucher. 

Gators312

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2018, 05:43:48 PM »
As the Mad Dogs (MD-88s) come out of the fleet the numbers should improve.   There was a time I wouldn't put a family member or myself on Allegiant, but those days have passed.  I think the 60 Minutes piece is a hit piece as some don't like the success that Allegiant is having. If pilots were that concerned they wouldn't fly for them, they would take another job at another carrier.  There are more jobs than pilots.   

But as today proves even those with one of the best safety records (SWA) can have incidents.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2018, 05:49:16 PM »
As the Mad Dogs (MD-88s) come out of the fleet the numbers should improve.   There was a time I wouldn't put a family member or myself on Allegiant, but those days have passed.  I think the 60 Minutes piece is a hit piece as some don't like the success that Allegiant is having. If pilots were that concerned they wouldn't fly for them, they would take another job at another carrier.  There are more jobs than pilots.   

But as today proves even those with one of the best safety records (SWA) can have incidents.

Allegiant actually has MD-80’s which are even worse, but regardless of the age good maintence makes a big difference. For example, Delta has well over 100 MD-88s. I have ZERO concern flying on them (aside from no personal TVs on them!)

JaxAvondale

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2018, 11:47:05 PM »
I don’t have any issues flying Allegiant. However, it is tough to fly with them when you fly a lot and have perks with other carriers. I do miss the non-stop flights to New Orleans. Hopefully, we can get some better flights once MSY finishes their expansion.