Author Topic: Images of the aftermath of Hurricane Irma  (Read 2524 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Images of the aftermath of Hurricane Irma
« on: September 15, 2017, 09:45:10 AM »
Images of the aftermath of Hurricane Irma

Although Hurricane Irma was in the process of transitioning into a tropical storm when its outer bands moved through Jacksonville, a confluence of weather patterns caused a Category 3-level storm surge, flooding many parts of the center city and other areas on the waterways. Here are a few images of the swollen St. Johns River's impact in and around Downtown Jacksonville. Feel free to add your own.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2017-sep-images-of-the-aftermath-of-hurricane-irma

KenFSU

Re: Images of the aftermath of Hurricane Irma
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 04:47:59 PM »
Can anyone comment on how severe the local damage is?

I know there was historic flooding, but I can't figure out if we're talking extensive, historic, long-term damage, or more of a short-term pain in the ass.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 06:53:01 PM »
Depends on the location but I overall I wouldn't refer to damage as historic or extensive.  However, in some areas, there are examples of long-term damage of flooded resident's personal finances. There's also some short term pain in the asses. For example, the Wells Fargo Center will be closed for months because the basement flooding destroyed its elevator machinery and electrical system (ex. one of the reasons JEA wants a new headquarters). On the other hand, my office is a block north of the Wells Fargo Center and we're fine because the flood waters didn't get that far. :

http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/photo-gallery/shut-by-irmas-floodwaters-wells-fargo-center-tenants-scramble-for-new-homes

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

JaxAvondale

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 08:36:17 PM »
I would say that there is extensive damage. Multiple homes on my road took flood damage. (I was very fortunate that the water stopped right before my property line) There are many homes that are uninhabitable and they will be that way for a long time. Also, the flood waters extended beyond critical flood zones which means that a lot of homeowners probably aren't covered by insurance unless they purchased an optional policy.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 04:42:48 AM »
It does look really bad, no one in my family or friends who live through out the state are reporting any major damage. How bad were the winds?

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 10:28:20 AM »
It does look really bad, no one in my family or friends who live through out the state are reporting any major damage. How bad were the winds?
Winds were less than Matthew last year.  They were pretty strong at the beaches but still not hurricane force.  Inland, the winds were just barely tropical storm strength.

JHAT76

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 06:22:56 PM »
Winds were less than Matthew last year.  They were pretty strong at the beaches but still not hurricane force.  Inland, the winds were just barely tropical storm strength.

Well actually...some data:

Matthew:
  Gusts:  Mayport 76mph
             Jax Airport 64mph
             Mayport Naval 60mph
             NAS Jax 68mph

Irma:
  Gusts: Mayport 85mph
            Jax Airport 86mph
            Mayport Naval 87mph
            NAS Jax 72mph

Irma-related power outages, 11pm 9/11:
FL: 6,220,000
PR & USVI: ~1,000,000
GA: 900,000
NC: 135,000
SC: 64,000
AL: 25,000
Total: >8.3 million.

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 08:10:57 PM »

Matthew:
             Jax Airport 64mph
             Mayport Naval 60mph
             NAS Jax 68mph

Irma:
            Jax Airport 86mph
            Mayport Naval 87mph
            NAS Jax 72mph

Gusts may have been higher but sustained winds were lower and lasted for a shorter period of time.  There was a lot less wind damage this time. I watched physical structure damage to buildings and signs last year.  This time, very little of it.

JHAT76

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 11:30:15 AM »

Matthew:
             Jax Airport 64mph
             Mayport Naval 60mph
             NAS Jax 68mph

Irma:
            Jax Airport 86mph
            Mayport Naval 87mph
            NAS Jax 72mph

Gusts may have been higher but sustained winds were lower and lasted for a shorter period of time.  There was a lot less wind damage this time. I watched physical structure damage to buildings and signs last year.  This time, very little of it.

Can you post the sustained winds and duration data you have?  I know a guy at my work who would like to have it. I

Gunnar

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 01:02:12 PM »
is that Noone in photo # 8 ?  ;)
I want to live in a society where people can voice unpopular opinions because I know that as a result of that, a society grows and matures...” — Hugh Hefner

jaxrox

• Juno Who
    • Personal Page  FOLLOW ME IF YOU DARE
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 01:23:44 PM »
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/100509066030761552151
I hope this works..I tried just screenshotting some of the photos I took and thought I'd just upload them, but I couldn't figure that out. Hey, i'm a noob so plz b patient  ;) I probably should have made my name something like Queen Analog or perhaps Zeppelin Cassette lolz

fsquid

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 01:52:55 PM »

Matthew:
             Jax Airport 64mph
             Mayport Naval 60mph
             NAS Jax 68mph

Irma:
            Jax Airport 86mph
            Mayport Naval 87mph
            NAS Jax 72mph

Irma-related power outages, 11pm 9/11:
FL: 6,220,000
PR & USVI: ~1,000,000
GA: 900,000
NC: 135,000
SC: 64,000
AL: 25,000
Total: >8.3 million.

where did you find this data? I'd like to look at some other locations.

CG7

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 04:11:22 PM »
The flood damage on my street and neighborhood was much worst with Irma compared to Matthew. I had no flooding with Matthew, but nearly four feet of water in my basement (yes I have a basement). I am still pumping out the water. The trees in Boone Park took a major hit with both storms, but I think Irma was worse.

I just know the wall at Memorial Park stood for a long time, but Irma took it down, so this had to be the worse flooding for many years.
Between Memorial Park and the Cummer gardens, two of my favorite places on earth have been severely damaged, I just hope they can recover to their original condition.

I have been helping with the clean up in Boone Park, I let the Friends of Memorial Park know I am available if and when needed, and my bank account is about to take a hit with the donation to the Cummer garden restoration. Hopefully everyone that can will do what they can to help with the recovery of areas that mean as much to them as Riverside/Avondale mean to me.