Author Topic: Amazon $5 bil co-HQ's in play  (Read 41835 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: Amazon $5 bil co-HQ's in play
« Reply #285 on: November 06, 2018, 12:48:28 PM »
I wonder if NYC offered incentives? Their mayor was publicly against doing so last year.

I don't know if any incentives specifically for Amazon would be coming their way from the administration but it would be the linchpin for the construction of the long discussed and debated Queens-Brooklyn streetcar line for the increasingly popular yet under-served by mass transit riverfront neighborhoods of the area. Even if they get Amazon to pony up their share of the cost, this has become an increasingly costly public works project that without Amazon's presence would have a hard time ever seeing the light of day.

In the end, I'm pretty sure the city and state's total investments in infrastructure, subway, and possible LIRR improvements would rival any open "incentives" offered by any other regions.

To that point, MTA (buses, subway, LIRR, most bridges and tunnels, etc) is a State Agency. I bet outside of some sidewalks, roads, etc., the City of New Your may not have to invest a ton.

JaxJersey-licious

Re: Amazon $5 bil co-HQ's in play
« Reply #286 on: November 07, 2018, 04:13:26 PM »
I wonder if NYC offered incentives? Their mayor was publicly against doing so last year.

I don't know if any incentives specifically for Amazon would be coming their way from the administration but it would be the linchpin for the construction of the long discussed and debated Queens-Brooklyn streetcar line for the increasingly popular yet under-served by mass transit riverfront neighborhoods of the area. Even if they get Amazon to pony up their share of the cost, this has become an increasingly costly public works project that without Amazon's presence would have a hard time ever seeing the light of day.

In the end, I'm pretty sure the city and state's total investments in infrastructure, subway, and possible LIRR improvements would rival any open "incentives" offered by any other regions.

To that point, MTA (buses, subway, LIRR, most bridges and tunnels, etc) is a State Agency. I bet outside of some sidewalks, roads, etc., the City of New Your may not have to invest a ton.

The rub on New York City's limited investment scenario is the potential site for Amazon HQ2 is the conversion of the Sunnyside Yard rail from train storage to commercial and residential development. To get an idea of what kind of investment the city would need to put up for this project look at the Hudson Yards project where they city invested hundreds of millions of dollars converting those old rail yards. They even extended the 7 subway line which itself comes to over 2 billion dollars a mile.

And if they were to build new construction elsewhere in the area keep in mind much of Long Island City was basically a huge version of Parking Lot J with a lot of old heavily polluting manufacturers that would require some form of remediation Amazon would nudge the city to commit too in some way.