Author Topic: When will JTB Flyover open?  (Read 4443 times)

tufsu1

Re: When will JTB Flyover open?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2017, 10:31:39 PM »
This just leaves the I-10/295 interchange as the last of the major interchanges to be redone and I haven't seen any announcement on that yet.

oh don't worry - FDOT is also rebuilding the 95/295 interchange up by the airport too!

tufsu1

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2017, 10:33:22 PM »
Those miles from downtown to JTB were ugly and scary,

I disagree. The stretch with the noise walls has some of the best interstate landscaping the state has. Unfortunately, it will be destroyed to make way for more express lanes soon.

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2017, 12:21:29 AM »

I disagree. The stretch with the noise walls has some of the best interstate landscaping the state has. Unfortunately, it will be destroyed to make way for more express lanes soon.

Let me clarify.  Traffic and such was ugly and scary.  I couldn't tell you about the landscaping because I didn't dare take my eyes away!  :)

tufsu1

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2017, 11:15:21 AM »

Let me clarify.  Traffic and such was ugly and scary.  I couldn't tell you about the landscaping because I didn't dare take my eyes away!  :)

have you ever driven in a real big city? Our I-95 traffic is nothing

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 04:54:34 PM »

have you ever driven in a real big city? Our I-95 traffic is nothing

I've driven in most every big city in America.  The volume is comparatively underwhelming, but the level of drivers in Florida makes you scratch your head. 

Josh

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 09:03:52 AM »
So a month later, what's the consensus? I've heard from people that during afternoon rush hour, this area still backs up to a crawl with traffic headed south and people trying to exit to the right to JTB/Belfort/Philips, while the flyover is virtually empty when you finally make it to the ramp. Is this accurate? Are people not taking the flyover when they should? Is this going to be the I-10 East/ I-95 interchange all over again?

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 11:07:46 AM »
So a month later, what's the consensus? I've heard from people that during afternoon rush hour, this area still backs up to a crawl with traffic headed south and people trying to exit to the right to JTB/Belfort/Philips, while the flyover is virtually empty when you finally make it to the ramp. Is this accurate? Are people not taking the flyover when they should? Is this going to be the I-10 East/ I-95 interchange all over again?

I don't commute so this is second hand but the morning rush hour is nice. I have been told Massive reduction in commute time and getting to/taking flyover is a breeze. However, I was also told it does appear many people still don't seem to understand the flyover is open as they evidently still go to light. Hilarious. Not sure why.

Gambit80

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 11:14:12 AM »
I don't get off on the exit, however, I drive past there heading south every morning. There is no longer any sort of backup through the area when I come through.

Tacachale

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 11:17:55 AM »
^I take it sometimes between UNF and San Marco. It's definitely improved, but I still usually go up Beach.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

pierre

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 11:46:00 AM »
I don't get off on the exit, however, I drive past there heading south every morning. There is no longer any sort of backup through the area when I come through.

Same experience I have had. No traffic issues at all at that exit in the morning.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 12:43:47 PM »
I haven't experienced any real backups. Many people still go to the light because you can't exit at Bowden if you use the flyover. So the flyover is of no use for anyone trying to get to Southpoint.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 12:47:55 PM »
Well JTB backs up eastbound between Philips and 95 in the morning.  It does the same westbound in the afternoon.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 09:52:55 AM »
The only other issue are the people that think they can wait until the last minute to move into the fly-over lanes from I-95.  They cruise the left hand land and try to merge 3 lanes over at the last moment possible.  Sometimes you'll find vehicles sitting in the median waiting for opening.

The fastest way to take it is to move into the auxiliary lane between Bowden and JTB.  It moves fast and requires no lane changes to take the fly-over.  It has shaved 10-12 minutes off my drive time in the afternoons.

Jagsdrew

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 01:36:17 PM »
There is a lot of bottlenecking 95 south during afternoon rush hours.  Essentially you have the 5 travel lanes merging into 3 lanes.  Those lanes merging from Butler go from 3 to 2 lanes, then merge with 95's 3 lanes of traffic.

From the looks of it, that will get A LOT worse once they dump two express lanes off in that SAME area per their proposed express lane plan from Butler to Atlantic Blvd.  That will go from SEVEN lanes to THREE lanes. OOF.
Twitter: @Jagsdrew