Author Topic: 48 years after the Eastside Riot of 1969  (Read 1482 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
48 years after the Eastside Riot of 1969
« on: August 13, 2017, 07:35:02 AM »
48 years after the Eastside Riot of 1969

A look at what's left of the Eastside's A. Philip Randolph Boulevard 48 years after the riot of 1969.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2017-aug-48-years-after-the-eastside-riot-of-1969

I-10east

Re: 48 years after the Eastside Riot of 1969
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 10:27:05 PM »
I don't have much to say about the riot (way ahead of my time) but the Eastside is one of those parts of town that has a negative stigma about it that won't go away. Sure it's gritty and it's an old industrial area that's lacking adequate stores etc, but it's NOWHERE near as bad as it's perception. All of these new people to Jax always talking about how bad the Eastside is, and I'm like huh??

In the 90s, the Eastside was very bad, now crime wise (through the local media) I hardly a peep from the Eastside, far as a ton of shootings etc; People just be chillin out there. The alarming crime to me is the much more spread out and sporadic Westside crime. Within two mile radius from me recently in the Westside; two cops shot, and one man killed at the Mobil on Blanding. Yeah, the Westside is the Wild West. It's not concentrated like the Eastside, so the crime is sporadic. 

remc86007

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 11:22:58 AM »
^ Yeah, there is a real perception problem with the Eastside, but I think it will (very) slowly improve in the coming years as it has for Springfield. The sad reality is that much of that negative perception either comes from or lingers as a result of some people's prejudices. Now that Springfield is getting closer to being built out, or rebuilt I guess, the Eastside seems to be where the good values are to rehab. I've been in some parts of Jacksonville where I did not feel safe, but I've never had that feeling in the Eastside. When I drive through the Eastside, I get the impression that many of the homes are either abandoned or have an old blue collar couple living in them that can't afford to keep the place up.

I'd like to see a good quality community-run grocery store started in either Springfield or the Eastside. I think the Eastside needs it more than Springfield, but Springfield likely would give it a better chance of success. Are there any community-run grocery stores in Jax? I knew of one in Tallahassee when I was over there.

urbanlibertarian

• Duuuvaall!!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 11:16:09 AM »
If the Shipyards gets developed as planned and Springfield continues to develop I can see Eastside becoming Springfield's "Murray Hill".
Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes (Who watches the watchmen?)