Author Topic: Solving SJTC's Traffic  (Read 7690 times)

ProjectMaximus

Re: Solving SJTC's Traffic
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2018, 10:31:56 AM »
Just to be clear, Jughandles (or Jersey lefts) are different from Michigan lefts. They have their own set of pros and cons, though similar.

Lostwave

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2018, 12:20:54 PM »
Just to be clear, Jughandles (or Jersey lefts) are different from Michigan lefts. They have their own set of pros and cons, though similar.

Ahhh. I see, it is different than michigan Lefts.  I thought you were describing the same thing.  And yes, a Jughandle doesn't work where the cross street has a ton of traffic.

The problem with SJTC is that there aren't enough roads.  Not lanes on a road.  Roads in general.  A town center should be a bunch of very small roads so it feels like a town center.  Sort of line the center of the original part of TC had.  But in SJTC there is effectively one HUGE road and thats it.  If we could get into the town center from say, 15 different entrances it would work so much better.  Spread the traffic throughout the area, instead of one road.  There should be exits off 295 and JTB that lead to service roads, which have many entrances to the mall (kind of like town center parkway is now).  As well as St. Johns Bluff and Touchton road even.  This was not properly engineered to handle traffic.  Thats why I choose not to go there.

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2018, 01:59:02 PM »
The benefit of the Michigan left is, you only need two light cycles, not four (or more).  This is basically what I suggested months ago in this thread.  Take out the left turn lights, add some crossovers and allow NO left turns anywhere on SJ Parkway.  This would be 1000 times better than the cluster that it has become.  The worst part of all of this is, the SJTC didn't suddenly discover it had a traffic problem; the whole project had years and years to plan for  and this was the best they could come up with!  That, to me, is a traffic and engineering department with zero vision.

Glenn VL

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2018, 06:31:35 PM »
Two words.

Light Rail!  :o :o :o

Captain Zissou

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2018, 09:08:27 AM »
Two words.

Light Rail!  :o :o :o

GENIUS!!!

Kerry

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2018, 09:49:53 AM »
In Monroe, LA the exit ramp from I-10 goes right into the mall parking lot.  Maybe they should have done something similar.  I wonder how much Town Center traffic is now just people driving from one parking space to another.

Third Place

Kerry

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2018, 09:52:23 AM »

Ahhh. I see, it is different than michigan Lefts.  I thought you were describing the same thing.  And yes, a Jughandle doesn't work where the cross street has a ton of traffic.

The problem with SJTC is that there aren't enough roads.  Not lanes on a road.  Roads in general.  A town center should be a bunch of very small roads so it feels like a town center.  Sort of line the center of the original part of TC had.  But in SJTC there is effectively one HUGE road and thats it.  If we could get into the town center from say, 15 different entrances it would work so much better.  Spread the traffic throughout the area, instead of one road.  There should be exits off 295 and JTB that lead to service roads, which have many entrances to the mall (kind of like town center parkway is now).  As well as St. Johns Bluff and Touchton road even.  This was not properly engineered to handle traffic.  Thats why I choose not to go there.

It is a town center in name only.  it isn't even oriented towards its primary road - Town Center Drive.
Third Place

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2018, 09:56:40 AM »
The JTB interchanges with 295 (formerly St Johns Bluff) and Gate Parkway were there before SJTC and Town Center Parkway were built. IMO, the suburban design of everything over there is the real killer. I have no doubt that a good portion of that traffic is likely driving from one parking lot to another.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2018, 10:08:38 AM »
The suburban road network is another problem. Everything along the JTB corridor dumps out to a few streets. Instead of widening a few arterials and collectors, it would make sense to develop a more connected street grid to diversify ingress and egress options. The problem here is that means pushing more traffic into areas that may not want it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 10:10:13 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

acme54321

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2018, 08:34:05 AM »
I recently got an email from FDOT about them installing one of these Michigan lefts down on Philips Highway, I think south of University somewhere.

Dapperdan

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2018, 10:05:53 AM »
 Taking a look at the highly success Disney Springs, what they did was cause a lot of pain for a time as they tore up existing building and surface lots and built two huge parking structures and recently started construction on a  third. Many people were angry and said it was stupid to do that as it would kill business during construction. They persisted and got them built. Now, getting in and out of Disney Springs has turned into almost a breeze . The retail area is all walking and it is highly successful. Granted, it has the draw of Disney plus I-4 and all the conventions, but a well thought out design can definitely help ours.

KenFSU

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2018, 01:50:41 PM »
Have been hearing all kinds of hilarious stories about the traffic jams and conflicts this has been causing:

https://www.news4jax.com/news/new-app-hopes-to-end-hunt-for-parking-at-st-johns-town-center

Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

pierre

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2018, 03:48:33 PM »
Just park in one of the spots behind Dick's Sporting Goods. Why on earth people would drive on that main road inside the TC is beyond me.

marcuscnelson

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2018, 04:49:19 PM »
^ Hence why I suggested when I started this thread to just get rid of the middle road and put a people mover and some paths. It's a pointless nightmare to get around there anyway.

Kerry

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2018, 12:12:55 PM »
The high cost of free parking.  I just park out in the middle where no one else is parking (reduces door dings) and walk the extra few hundred feet.  I can always use the exercise.
Third Place