Author Topic: Mayor taking proactive stance on downtown development  (Read 11776 times)

KenFSU

Re: Mayor taking proactive stance on downtown development
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2017, 03:59:44 PM »
^It's roughly the equivalent of walking from the center of UNF to the Town Center.

And how many people do you see making that walk each day?

RattlerGator

« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2017, 02:56:48 PM »
The lack of imagination y'all exhibit is embarrassing.

The lack of comprehension that worldwide leaders are being solicited by Shad Khan to work with him on The Shipyards project is equally embarrassing. Not Hans Tanzler or Jake Godbold era leaders, worldwide leaders.

The backwards-looking &%#@%& shiznit casually tossed out here -- honestly, what the hell? There's nothing unique about Jacksonville? From the man who says we're . . . Memphis ? ? ?

Dayyuummmm !!! The last I looked, we're the only city in the nation and perhaps the world with an amphitheater connected to both an exhibition hall and a football stadium. Pretty damn unique -- that is, if someone would just get their head out of their four-corner-contact and take an objective look around. Perhaps not to urban core snobs but ultimately who gives a damn about them anyway?

Wake up, Ennis. Let us see what Iguana and Shad Khan and his crew come up with, shall we ? ? ?

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2017, 03:07:00 PM »
RG, it's the lack of real urban core planning that gave us the southbank, Brooklyn and La Villa.  The first two look like suburban office parks with taller buildings.  La Villa was killed with no plans at all.

Nobody is saying ignore Khan and what he is doing.  In fact, most of us are quite welcoming of his initiatives.  What we are saying is that you cannot build a $500 million CC and expect it to be successful without the proper infrastructure around it.   

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2017, 03:22:36 PM »
The lack of imagination y'all exhibit is embarrassing.

The lack of comprehension that worldwide leaders are being solicited by Shad Khan to work with him on The Shipyards project is equally embarrassing. Not Hans Tanzler or Jake Godbold era leaders, worldwide leaders.

Lol, you need a reference? You should be on Khan's payroll.

The backwards-looking &%#@%& shiznit casually tossed out here -- honestly, what the hell? There's nothing unique about Jacksonville? From the man who says we're . . . Memphis ? ? ?

Memphis is a fine city with great BBQ. Why are you hating on it?

Wake up, Ennis. Let us see what Iguana and Shad Khan and his crew come up with, shall we ? ? ?

I'm awake and hope Iguana and Shad Khan do well. However, being awake and wearing rose colored glasses are two totally different things.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

KenFSU

« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2017, 03:07:33 PM »
Per the Daily Record, the RFP to demo the old courthouse/Annex is imminent.

Looks like this is a thing that's going to be happening sooner than later.

P.S. Site search doesn't seem to be working.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 03:16:04 PM by KenFSU »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2017, 03:21:18 PM »
Yes, it was a given once the demo money was included in this year's budget a few months back. I'll get Lunican to see what's going on with the search feature.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

vicupstate

« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2017, 10:57:18 AM »
I wish they would just demo the courthouse until there is a deal in hand written in blood that requires the old City Hall to be removed. COJ has such a bad history with this sort of thing. The old City Hall has a lot of height and SF that could be used for just about anything. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

marcuscnelson

« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2017, 06:06:55 PM »
I wish they would just demo the courthouse until there is a deal in hand written in blood that requires the old City Hall to be removed. COJ has such a bad history with this sort of thing. The old City Hall has a lot of height and SF that could be used for just about anything.

I really don't understand why we need to demo anything.

This city spent the 90s razing almost all of Lavilla to the ground. There are still masses of empty plots that are only now being filled in. There's acres and acres of land on both sides of the river that won't have shovels in the ground for years. And yet somehow, we need to raze even more? Completely ridiculous.

Really, why not tell developers that they can bring the bulldozers as long as they're immediately followed by construction cranes? Nothing less. Either build in with the space that's already there, or not waste a heartbeat before building after cleanup.

remc86007

« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2017, 07:02:29 PM »
Not sure of this is supposed to be public, but I just overheard someone mention January 18 as an important date regarding the courthouse and annex.

MusicMan

« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2017, 07:06:44 PM »
I agree with your basic sentiment Marcus but you might have those vacant buildings there for a long time. They will deteriorate and the cost of demo might go up.

Also it means any worthwhile project will be contingent on the city completing the demo and then environmental cleanup after that, so whatever goes in will still be a "hurry up and wait situation."

FYI The Shipyards is basically STILL WAITING ON ENVIRONMENTAL CLEANUP BEFORE ANYTHING CAN BE DONE THERE. IT's a big expensive time consuming job which the COJ has not even started.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2017, 09:09:44 PM »
I believe you could come up with several worthwhile projects that could reuse the City Hall Annex, sooner than later if it were a priority for reuse.  It's not and that's why it sits empty. I've seen cities lease or sell properties like that for a $1 as aggressive ways to get companies to fill or restore them sooner rather than later. In those cases, the concern wasn't trying to rape someone on the sell of city-owned property.  The reasoning was if you could fill dead space quick, you'd bring hundreds of new employees downtown, return properties back to the tax rolls, while stimulating foot traffic to support existing nearby businesses.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 09:13:32 PM by thelakelander »

vicupstate

« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2017, 08:10:28 AM »
If a good plan with a good design appeared for the courthouse, i would not be in favor of demoing it either. I suspect the special purpose function of the building may prevent that, plus it isn't very appeally architectural to start with. It also isn't as tall as a replacement building MIGHT be.  I don't see those issues with City Hall annex though.

I don't see how a delay would increase demo costs on the Annex either. Clearly it will be a simple impolsion job.     
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

MusicMan

« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2017, 10:33:08 AM »
I thought both of those were contaminated with lead and asbestos. NO?

vicupstate

« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2017, 11:24:10 AM »
I thought both of those were contaminated with lead and asbestos. NO?

Most likely yes, but whether you renovate or demo it, you have to remove it.

RattlerGator

« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2017, 12:58:54 PM »
Per the Daily Record, the RFP to demo the old courthouse/Annex is imminent.

Looks like this is a thing that's going to be happening sooner than later.

So . . . perhaps it's time to get my man Ennis those rose-colored glasses? Before we even get to see what Iguana and Shad Khan and his crew come up with.

Love ya, bruh!