Author Topic: The District signs deal for a riverfront hotel on the Southbank  (Read 14434 times)

Jax-Nole

Re: The District signs deal for a riverfront hotel on the Southbank
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2017, 11:39:28 AM »
My guess is that it will be an Autograph Collection hotel. I say that because I looked at the hotels in Celebration, FL, and of the 6 listed there, I saw the Bohemian Hotel Celebration, which is part of Marriott's Autograph Collection. It would sort of make sense that it could be them because they are already familiar with a Peter Rummell development. Thoughts? And by the way, if you are familiar with the Atlantis Hotel in the Bahamas, that is part of the Autograph Collection also.

tufsu1

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2017, 02:16:17 PM »
I think Autograoh Collection is unlikely...I think AC (not to be confused) is more likely

Noone

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2017, 02:59:22 PM »
Has 'The District' broken ground on it's own buildings yet?
Now they say 2018. However, the hotel would be one of the buildings illustrated in previous concepts. The update here is that they've found a company willing to operate the proposed hotel. The hotel is labeled building 7A:

Would it be better to say that LOT 7A will contain Hotel, Residential Lobby, and Dining? That's the way it appears that this diagram is served.

+18

KenFSU

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2017, 03:28:17 PM »
P.S. My guess is Element.

Something similar to what they're doing in Buckhead seems to fit the District vibe.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/7/13/15961706/buckhead-prominence-hotel-element-starwood

LEED certified, complimentary bikes, modular furniture, spa-style bathrooms, etc.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

howfam

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2017, 06:32:38 PM »
P.S. My guess is Element.

Something similar to what they're doing in Buckhead seems to fit the District vibe.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/7/13/15961706/buckhead-prominence-hotel-element-starwood

LEED certified, complimentary bikes, modular furniture, spa-style bathrooms, etc.

Nice for Buckhead, but needs to be taller and more Florida- Like  for a waterfront site like The District.

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2017, 03:20:49 PM »
For those that picked AC Hotels.....you're the winner (of what I don't know).

Business Journal is reporting that groundbreaking is early next year. The more I hear about this project, the less I seem to understand what exactly we're doing here.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2017, 03:27:02 PM »
I win, I win, I win!!
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Dapperdan

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2017, 03:37:28 PM »

Business Journal is reporting that groundbreaking is early next year. The more I hear about this project, the less I seem to understand what exactly we're doing here.
Seems to be piecemealing together. I was thinking it would all get built at once but it seems like only as deals are finalized do they start. As long as they keep to the master plan and keep the projects at least steadily coming, I am fine with it. Just taking an extra cautious approach I guess.

remc86007

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2017, 04:24:39 PM »
^I'm not sure there is sufficient labor force in Jax to construct more than a couple buildings at a time without the rate skyrocketing considering all the simultaneous projects going on throughout the metro area. Slow and steady is fine with me.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2017, 06:14:31 PM »

Seems to be piecemealing together. I was thinking it would all get built at once but it seems like only as deals are finalized do they start. As long as they keep to the master plan and keep the projects at least steadily coming, I am fine with it. Just taking an extra cautious approach I guess.

Neither the District or the Shipyards are projects that will be built in a single phase. Jax doesn't have the market to support that amount of new construction infill at once.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

howfam

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2017, 06:24:49 PM »

AC Hotels. Are they known for building high rise hotels or lower scale. The picture shown on channel 4 showed a 5 or 6 story building-  I think it needs to be taller as the conceptual site specs indicated.   

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2017, 06:49:16 PM »
AC Hotels is Marriott's version of Aloft. I stayed in one in DC a few months. That one was a midrise with a few restaurants and bars at street level and the room layout was the same as Aloft's.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2017, 07:09:59 PM »
The AC hotel in New Orleans has a nice setup.

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2017, 12:15:11 PM »
AC Hotels is Marriott's version of Aloft. I stayed in one in DC a few months. That one was a midrise with a few restaurants and bars at street level and the room layout was the same as Aloft's.

Correct, though it seems like AC is more willing to do their own box, where aloft wants their exact setup, interior and exterior, with few exceptions in urban markets.

Side note - this is why I don't see Marriott keeping 30 brands. Really, there is no difference between AC and aloft - they are going after the same crowd. My belief is within the next 24 months this becomes an aloft or the Southside/Airport alofts become an AC.

(I'd also like to point out that AC was my #1 guess from my post months ago :P).

Back to more at hand - I looked at the rendering again. The hotel was on the west edge, meaning on the property adjacent to the School board. If you're going to phase it, that's the way to do it as long as DCPS is there.

downtownbrown

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2017, 02:23:14 PM »
Now, when the Mayor and DIA announce that Marriott is going to put a Delta concept to complete Berkman 2, we'll really have something to talk about...

He promised it will be wrapped up this quarter.