Author Topic: Bill Brinton, Tree and Sign Charter Instigator Dies  (Read 1385 times)

jaxlongtimer

Bill Brinton, Tree and Sign Charter Instigator Dies
« on: June 19, 2017, 06:36:05 PM »
As noted in the article below, Bill Brinton did more to improve the quality of life and impact sensible development in Jacksonville than most anybody else in the City's history.  If only more would follow his example.

RIP.  We and all future generations will value always your contributions to our community.  Thank you!

William D. “Bill” Brinton, an attorney who led successful campaigns to limit outdoor signs, create term limits for city offices and protect trees, died Monday morning. He was 64.

“He was probably the greatest example of the servant/leader I have known in my life,” said Nina Waters, president of the Community Foundation for Northeast Florida. “He was tenacious in every cause he chose … It’s a huge loss for this community.”

“He was absolutely driven as far as anything he did,” said Graham Allen, who worked with Mr. Brinton for 41 years. “He probably accomplished as much or more than any president of the Jacksonville Bar Association ever has. He was a driving force in anything he did.”

In 1987, frustrated that City Council seemed unwilling to enact an ordinance to implement recommendations from a Jacksonville Community Council Inc. study that argued for limits be placed on outdoor advertising, Mr. Brinton co-founded Citizens Against Proliferation of Signs, CAPSigns for short.

Mr. Brinton knew the city charter provided for citizen-initiated amendments. So he wrote an amendment and organized a petition drive to get his amendment on the ballot. Voters approved. It was the start of a three decade long battle that made Brinton “one of the preeminent national experts on sign regulation and the First Amendment,” said Tracy Arpen, his CAPSigns co-founder.

He used the same approach — placing a citizen-initiated amendment on the ballot following a petition drive — to enact term limits on elected city positions in 1991. In 2000, he co-founded Citizens for Tree Preservation and once again put a citizen-initiated on the ballot to protect trees. Voters approved overwhelmingly.

He also led campaigns to get City Council to pass an anti-litter law and led an unsuccessful effort to create a dedicated funding source, a one-mill property tax, for the public library system.

CAPSigns and Citizens for Tree Preservation merged to become Scenic Jacksonville. In May, he was honored at a luncheon for his work on behalf of Scenic Jacksonville. During the luncheon, it was announced that an endowment has been established at the Community Foundation which, when fully funded at $300,000, will support the work of Scenic Jacksonville.......

Charlie Patton: (904) 359-4413

Full article at:  http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2017-06-19/bill-brinton-who-led-successful-campaigns-limit-outdoor-signs-protect-trees
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 06:54:05 PM by jaxlongtimer »

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
Re: Bill Brinton, Tree and Sign Charter Instigator Dies
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 09:04:49 PM »
Sorry to hear.  I've only gotten to know him within the last few months, after he reached out through Scenic Jacksonville. RIP.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Bautistaz

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 05:32:21 AM »
This forum is a knowledgebase that helps me improve.

vicupstate

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 08:25:42 AM »
JAX owes him a debt of gratitude.  The advertising and tree ordinances are more impactful than anything at least two or three of the last few mayors have done. I understand the motive behind the term limits initiative, but I think it didn't and doesn't work.

Where I live, in SC, the legislature whored itself out to the billboard lobby and we now lead the nation in billboards. See I-95 for an example.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

jaxnyc79

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 09:25:32 AM »
JAX owes him a debt of gratitude.  The advertising and tree ordinances are more impactful than anything at least two or three of the last few mayors have done. I understand the motive behind the term limits initiative, but I think it didn't and doesn't work.

Where I live, in SC, the legislature whored itself out to the billboard lobby and we now lead the nation in billboards. See I-95 for an example.

Bill Brinton was an amazing guy.  I was a member of the Citizens for Tree Preservation, which Bill Brinton led (perhaps formed).  I had just become a student at UF.  Whenever I could find free time, I made the 70-mile trek to Jax and stood in the hot sun to collect signatures wherever large groups of people were gathered, just so that we could get the Ordinance on the books.  Enthusiasm seemed strong while collecting signatures, but given Council had failed to put anything impactful on the books, there was an abiding concern that perhaps the duly elected Council was a better representation of the will of the people than our signature initiative.  Thankfully, we collected the necessary signatures and the Ordinance got on the ballot and the people of Jax gave a resounding "affirmative" to the idea of protecting our trees and our ecosystem over private property irresponsibility (purposely did not use rights).  I emailed Bill maybe a few more times after successful completion of the Tree Preservation initiative.  I thanked him for his dedication to Jacksonville's natural environment; I never quite thanked him for helping to shape my system of beliefs and for the sense of empowerment that comes with knowing that a plan of action and diligence can yield real, observable change.