Author Topic: Hemming Park Beautification  (Read 12050 times)

KenFSU

Re: Hemming Park Beautification
« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2017, 11:40:45 PM »
Heard some interesting news today...

Keep an eye on Hemming in the next couple of months.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

Tacachale

« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2017, 12:38:09 AM »
Heard some interesting news today...

Keep an eye on Hemming in the next couple of months.

Less cryptic, please.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

KenFSU

« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2017, 12:58:45 AM »
They're turning it into a Bono's ;D
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2017, 06:03:03 AM »
Hopefully, they'll do something to address the underutilized spaces immediately surrounding it, like the old church or vacant storefronts at the library.  If not, only dealing with the park won't achieve the level of vibrancy people tend to speak of, when they compare it to similiar spaces in more cosmopolitan cities.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2017, 06:55:48 AM »
Im betting on a combination skateboard park, shuffleboard court and nude beach...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

CG7

« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2017, 01:22:41 PM »
Now that's what i call having something for  everyone  ;D

mtraininjax

« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2017, 10:18:26 AM »
Name change coming, in response to Tear 'Em Down Jax. Hemming too closely related to hate.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

Dapperdan

« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2017, 10:38:18 AM »
So, honest question, should the Confederate memorial come down? I honestly don't know what we are honoring with it. Is it historical people who condoned owning other people for commercial profit? Is that we are honoring? Are we honoring the losing side of a war? I understand some may have relatives that served in this war but I am sure people in Germany have relatives who incinerated people in furnaces for their race. Germany outlawed almost any reference to their Nazi heritage. I obviously feel like ours should come down. Just curious what others though.

jlmann

« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2017, 10:50:38 AM »
opinions have been made known here.  after this weekends events wonder if we hear any changes of heart or just silence until this blows over and many can return to the BS arguments re:history

Josh

« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2017, 12:15:43 PM »
So, honest question, should the Confederate memorial come down? I honestly don't know what we are honoring with it. Is it historical people who condoned owning other people for commercial profit? Is that we are honoring? Are we honoring the losing side of a war? I understand some may have relatives that served in this war but I am sure people in Germany have relatives who incinerated people in furnaces for their race. Germany outlawed almost any reference to their Nazi heritage. I obviously feel like ours should come down. Just curious what others though.

Like most confederate memorials, it's mostly a participation trophy....

At least this one is "honoring" the locals that fought and died, as opposed to one of the individual wealthy traitors that are the subject of most of these memorials. One would think it's more of a "safe" memorial, but apparently Gainesville is removing their similar trophy today, so the one here probably only has a decade of time left.

http://jacksonville.com/news/florida/2017-08-14/city-gainesville-removes-confederate-statute

Dapperdan

« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2017, 12:36:27 PM »
I know it is historical and survived the great fire, so I think it should honestly be moved into a  museum type setting. If you want to view it you can. Just not in  a public square where you are forced to view it.

Josh

« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2017, 12:45:28 PM »
I know it is historical and survived the great fire, so I think it should honestly be moved into a  museum type setting. If you want to view it you can. Just not in  a public square where you are forced to view it.

It probably helps that most people don't even notice there's a guy up on the top of that monument.

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2017, 12:54:26 PM »
Tell us again how it's about not forgetting history and not about hate.

Dapperdan

« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2017, 01:05:25 PM »
Jacksonville council just announced they are inventorying their confederate monument supply for possible relocation to museums and such. That is something at least.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2017, 01:22:22 PM »
opinions have been made known here.  after this weekends events wonder if we hear any changes of heart or just silence until this blows over and many can return to the BS arguments re:history

Perhaps we are in need of a great historical sanitization... Federal monies to remove all confederate artifacts, street names, schools, towns and counties from public spaces.  Monuments to slave holders should/could be torn down.  Rename cities like Jackson and Jacksonville... perhaps Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe?  US Army bases... Fort Hood, Fort Benning.  We are in need of a deep cleaning...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."