Author Topic: Jacksonville’s Overland Bridge highway construction project nearly complete  (Read 3653 times)

Charles Hunter

Well we should all know by now, you can't pave your way out of congestion. Every project simply moves the bottleneck point. So now you'll need the I-10/95/Fuller Warren project, along with the widening of I-95 between the Southbank and JTB to align with these improvements. When that I-10/95 work is complete, you'll probably need to widen/reconstruct I-10 between Roosevelt and I-295.

Lake, good call. From the FDOT's website - PD&E Study for I-10 between I-295 and I-95 http://www.nflroads.com/_layouts/FDOT%20D2%20Northeast%20Florida%20Road%20Construction/ProjectDetails.aspx?pid=466&sid=All

The handout from December's Public Meeting
http://www.nflroads.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/I-10%20FM%20213326-2_DraftPubHearing%20Handout_12-12-17.pdf

There are also PD&E Studies in the Tentative Work Program for I-10 west of I-295 to Baldwin (and beyond)
http://d2wpph.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/DuvalCitizenPlan.pdf

RiversideRambler

One thing I will say in this project’s defense: this was an operational project, done because the bridge was at end of life. This wasn’t done to expand the highway, but did result in that to a degree. The big expansion will be the Fuller Warren widening.

sorry Steve, but BS - this was pretty much an expansion project (regardless of how it was packaged)

How is that BS? Was it not paid as an expansion project?

Also, how would anyone think that by widening a section of a highway, but not the bridge after it or the roadway before it that it would truly be transformative?

FDOT definitely sold parts of the project as an improvement to the traffic flow through expansion. Also, if this truly was an "operational project" that means there will be another major construction project in that same area within the next ten years to address expansion (so we can quickly get the Shipyards and Lot J).

Steve

• The Jaxson
I misworded my last post, but my point is that while there were definitely widened roads in many areas (I-95 South is now three lanes), it’s kind of like putting in a section of 3/4 PVC in a long run of 1/2 PVC....it’s not going to be a transformative change.

Now, widening the Fuller Warren and the adjustment of 10 and 95 should be (though I’m not sure it will be).

cjwest31

Y'all better read honey!

Jagsdrew

You can now access 95 South from Philips Hwy as the southbound on-ramp has open up. Northbound access to 95 and the C/D have been opened for awhile but this recently opened probably in the last two or three days.

Also, there are a lot of different traffic signals being installed, interesting to see how it will be set up. Especially at the base of the Beach Blvd flyover from 95 south.
Twitter: @Jagsdrew

acme54321

Also, there are a lot of different traffic signals being installed, interesting to see how it will be set up. Especially at the base of the Beach Blvd flyover from 95 south.

I'm not sure if it will operate all day or not, but those lights on the overpass are to eliminate the major traffic weaving and backup into Bishop Kenny when school is getting in and out.  It's not too bad the rest of the day so I'm not sure if they will run 24/7 or not.

Captain Zissou

I'm not sure if it will operate all day or not, but those lights on the overpass are to eliminate the major traffic weaving and backup into Bishop Kenny when school is getting in and out.  It's not too bad the rest of the day so I'm not sure if they will run 24/7 or not.
  That light is going to be a nightmare.  As soon as you crest that ramp and start to come down you'll hit a line of parked cars.  The people who dart across to turn into BK are jerks, but I think this will be much more dangerous.

acme54321

Yeah I'm not so sure about it either.  We'll find out though!

Jagsdrew

I'm thinking it is similar to every on-ramp in Atlanta where there is a traffic signal on the on-ramp to get on the highway but in this case it is Beach Blvd.
Twitter: @Jagsdrew