Author Topic: More drinking coming to Jacksonville?  (Read 3811 times)

spuwho

More drinking coming to Jacksonville?
« on: May 18, 2017, 08:48:13 PM »
Per Florida Politics:

http://floridapolitics.com/archives/238366-downtown-drinking-come-jacksonville

More downtown drinking to come to Jacksonville?

Jacksonville is flush with first-rate local breweries, and at least one world-class local distillery. And if a new bill passes the Jacksonville City Council, the local liquor scene downtown will flourish even further.

Ordinance 2017-399, filed by Council President Lori Boyer at the request of the Downtown Investment Authority, would permit distilleries and breweries throughout the entire downtown overlay zoning district.

This would cover, per the bill language, an “establishment or facility in which beer, wine, or other alcoholic beverages are produced for on-site consumption where production does not exceed 10,000 barrels (310,000 gallons) per year and off-site sales to a state licensed wholesaler do not exceed 75% of production.”

Off-site consumption would be permitted, as would restricted outside sales and service.

Those following the latest rounds of gentrification in Jacksonville likely have noticed the parallels between craft breweries and distilleries and an infusion of populations that revitalize neighborhoods.

This legislation would permit that kickstart throughout the downtown overlay area, which would play in to a larger strategy of turning the area near the stadium into an entertainment district.

RattlerGator

Re: More drinking coming to Jacksonville?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 08:43:48 AM »
Sounds like a masterplan logically coming together.

RatTownRyan

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 08:46:58 AM »
Can I just say that Lori Boyer is killing it right now. I really didnt know much about her but since Ive been paying attention I really like the direction she is leading the city.

RockStar

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 06:22:38 PM »
Make last call downtown 3am...

urbaknight

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 12:06:39 PM »
^ Throughout New Jersey last call is 3am, We love it!

But how about last call at 4am?

That and get jta on board by providing later bus service.

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 01:29:17 PM »
^ Throughout New Jersey last call is 3am, We love it!

But how about last call at 4am?

That and get jta on board by providing later bus service.

Not everywhere in Jersey is last call 3AM, trust me. If they could move that extended hours ordinance a little bit more inland...

Tacachale

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 01:46:37 PM »
4 a.m. last call has been suggested in the past. In a controlled area, it could be a big boost.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

FlaBoy

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 02:12:05 PM »
4 a.m. last call has been suggested in the past. In a controlled area, it could be a big boost.

3 am may be enough to start. I don't think another city in Florida other than Miami has a 4 am or later last call.

This is just another way to get uses clustered in the right places. There are some people unhappy with King St. being mostly bars. One way to get the bars out of a residential neighborhood like that to a place like downtown is to make it easier to do business in downtown. That means things like Open Container Districts and later last calls that make it more profitable for a bar to do business.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 03:00:19 PM »
I know I'm being a bit of a wet blanket here, but I think a 3am or 4am last call would be highly irresponsible in a city where people don't use public transport (or can't, even). Giving people more time to get drunk and then drive home just seems like a bad idea.

“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Tacachale

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 03:33:31 PM »
^Or, you know, take a cab.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

FlaBoy

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 03:52:48 PM »

Don't worry, we won't be driving in 15 years anyway, just self driving ubers and lyfts  ;D

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 04:08:14 PM »

It would be great if people DID take cabs. But it's not like there are large taxi ranks outside bars and clubs in Jax, just waiting for patrons. You have to arrange a cab, which is a bit of a pain and acts as a disincentive. Anyway - I'm sure Uber and Lyft have made it better.

“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 07:44:50 PM »

Don't worry, we won't be driving in 15 years anyway, just self driving ubers and lyfts  ;D

Lol
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

johnnyliar

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 08:27:15 AM »

It would be great if people DID take cabs. But it's not like there are large taxi ranks outside bars and clubs in Jax, just waiting for patrons. You have to arrange a cab, which is a bit of a pain and acts as a disincentive. Anyway - I'm sure Uber and Lyft have made it better.

Most people I know would prefer setting up an Uber to just hopping into a cab. It's easy and safe, and you can look at your driver's ratings and reviews before ever hopping in the car.

David

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 10:23:14 AM »
People just don't take cabs or ubers when they should sadly. I was all for the 4 am last call 10+ years ago when the ideal floated around, I could see 3 am being more reasonable. Here's one thought, if last call was later, people wouldn't slam drinks down at 1:30, spreading out the alcohol consumption over more time, being less drunk by the time last call rolls around.  Right? Right?

Disclaimer: I haven't seen last call in 5+ years.