Author Topic: Detroit's new streetcar line is now open for business  (Read 3175 times)

SightseerLounge

Re: Detroit's new streetcar line is now open for business
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 03:04:40 PM »
I still think they should have bought new vehicles, but, yes, they should get new tech. They are going to have to get new tech for the autonomous buses anyway. Why not just get new monorail vehicles for now and do a quick expansion to Riverside since they have part of that built already? They went for the lazy transit option of robot buses. I know these are just one type of bus that they can make with this tech, but why tear down the monorail, go to smaller, slower vehicles, and have to wait 10-20-30 years for the autonomous bus that looks like a light rail. I might be able to stomach this if the bus pods were just temporary (to get the tech in place), and, 5 years later, we had autonomous buses that looked like the light rail vehicles. It would be a true bus rapid transit.

From there, Jax could build up that system for the eventual conversion to what Detroit has now! Yes, separate RoW is a key in this. When the U2C drops down to street level will that disrupt JTA's plans for the robot buses? By the time they fully implement the robot bus system, all of these unknowns could be too much to overcome!

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 03:21:24 PM by SightseerLounge »

SightseerLounge

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 03:35:05 PM »
If Jax were able to mimic Detroit with this type of robot bus system, I would be able to halfway stomach this!

https://www.curbed.com/2017/11/6/16614986/zhuzhou-china-art-rail-bus

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 03:39:33 PM by SightseerLounge »

marcuscnelson

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 05:12:54 PM »
I'm not 100% certain but I recall somewhere last year in this discussion that if the city were to abandon (or tear down) the Skyway, they would be on the hook for tens of millions of dollars in federal money that would have to be paid back, and that was their rationale for continuing on with this system, even though they can't find cars or parts to fix them, and that adding to it was cost-prohibitive.

Interesting. It always seems rather confusing when the city does or doesn't have money for improvements.

$45 million to pay for Club Renovations and Daily's Place, sure!

Considering buying the District's land? I guess?

Making a sensible financial decision about the urban circulator that we've done relatively little with twice? Ouch, maybe some other time.

Getting the acres upon acres of land the city owns out of the city's hands and back onto the tax rolls? Nope!

But anyway, my point is that it seems like we as a city are still very confused about what we want out the Skyway, and thus what we want it to be. It in a way reflects on some opinions about Jacksonville as a whole.