Author Topic: Florida Coastal Law School long-term plans  (Read 6892 times)

Tacachale

Re: Florida Coastal Law School long-term plans
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2017, 03:00:02 PM »
I just dont believe anyone got CONNED into going to this school. Yeah, their marketing practices are a bit shitty...but the burden is on the student to do their homework, especially before signing up in thousands of student loans.

I went to Coastal. I truly believe the quality of teaching is the same as you´d get at ANY other school (I sat in on classes with my sister at Georgetown and UF Law, and the text books are the same, as are the teaching methods).

The issue with Coastal has been, and always will be, signing up hundreds of students who they know cant pass their way out of a paper bag.

The only solution to fixing the bar passage rates is to limit the amount AND quality of students they bring in.

Wish people would stop saying the quality of education is somehow sub par. The education is fine - it´s the admission standards that aren´t.

As a fellow Coastal alum, I agree with all of this.

Going to say 150 students per cohort won't work for their for-profit business model. Again, if the school closed it would be good for the legal market but really bad for Jax IF it intends on going downtown.

Hard to see how it stays afloat at this point. Their for-profit model seemed to work for awhile, but eventually they started recruiting people that just weren't cut out to be lawyers, and now it's come back to bite them. No offense whatsoever to people who went there.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2017, 03:26:52 PM »
Sure the onus is on the applicant to some extent, but in what other situation in life is a person loaned $100k+ with such bad odds of being able to repay it?

Hard to believe, but in less than 10 years from a massive fallout, the mortgage business is quickly heading that way again. 
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

FlaBoy

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2017, 05:38:03 PM »
I just dont believe anyone got CONNED into going to this school. Yeah, their marketing practices are a bit shitty...but the burden is on the student to do their homework, especially before signing up in thousands of student loans.

I went to Coastal. I truly believe the quality of teaching is the same as you´d get at ANY other school (I sat in on classes with my sister at Georgetown and UF Law, and the text books are the same, as are the teaching methods).

The issue with Coastal has been, and always will be, signing up hundreds of students who they know cant pass their way out of a paper bag.

The only solution to fixing the bar passage rates is to limit the amount AND quality of students they bring in.

Wish people would stop saying the quality of education is somehow sub par. The education is fine - it´s the admission standards that aren´t.

Going to say 150 students per cohort won't work for their for-profit business model. Again, if the school closed it would be good for the legal market but really bad for Jax IF it intends on going downtown.

Hard to see how it stays afloat at this point. Their for-profit model seemed to work for awhile, but eventually they started recruiting people that just weren't cut out to be lawyers, and now it's come back to bite them. No offense whatsoever to people who went there.

UNF have any interest in a law school?  ;)

Tacachale

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2017, 05:44:04 PM »

UNF have any interest in a law school?  ;)

Ha, not that I've ever heard.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?