Author Topic: Inside the Cowford Chophouse  (Read 31193 times)

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Coffee District
Re: Inside the Cowford Chophouse
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2018, 05:36:54 PM »
What was wrong with the steak?

It was overcooked. I have probably ordered a NY Strip "Pittsburgh' approaching triple digits times at a ton of different steakhouses around the country and twice I have had it cooked incorrectly. Both times at Cowford. And other times the service just hasn't been great.  Which kills me as I want this to be our main Steakhouse so badly.
Now we have probably had dinner there more than most and will continue to do so but for us it has yet to approach the Ruth's on the South Bank both in ability to cook a steak to order and level of service. Maybe we have just been unlucky but for us it has been a trend.

acme54321

« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2018, 05:45:07 PM »
When SMM is at a reastaurant, the waiter comes around and asks, is anthing all right?

Yet he is love with the most over rated doughnuts in town...  ???

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2018, 05:54:34 PM »
When SMM is at a reastaurant, the waiter comes around and asks, is anthing all right?

Ha Ha.
Actually, they are treated amazingly well and probably do double takes at their tips as they are so high. In addition, I tend to go out of my way to seek out management (if they don't do the table stop) to praise quality service. Both my wife and I spent years in retail which still resonates quite strongly with us.

But I must admit, I do expect competence which apparently seems to be a hard concept for some to grasp.

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2018, 06:37:12 PM »
How, with the money they put into renovating that building, have they not been able to hire the right people to make it at least a comparable experience to Ruth's? Why not just poach the Ruth's people? Even if they have non-compete clauses, why not agree to pay the legal fees associated with fighting them if Ruth's even bothered to sue.

I know it isn't easy to put together a topnotch restaurant, but it isn't rocket science either.

I find it a little concerning after 9 months  and of course they have closed two restaurants recently. However, I am hoping that this will help them focus on what is left though. I think Bistro Aix is better since the reopen following the flood. So that gives me hope that things will improve over time.

There are very few establishments that we want to succeed more than Cowford, so we will continue to keep going on a semi-regular basis. But for me, no more NY strips :)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2018, 06:43:45 AM »
There ARE better cuts... :)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2018, 01:30:03 PM »
There ARE better cuts... :)

No, those are just "overrated" :)

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2018, 01:47:00 PM »
 I know most probably think I am just a big meanie with my crazy expectations but we have decided to go right  back as we take some family for a big night out.

We support Cowford!

We support Downtown!

I'm a good Jaxon! I swear!

The exclamation points prove it!

Jagsdrew

« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2018, 02:12:32 PM »
Not loud enough!!! Also, why go to Cowford when you have Seafood Shack right in our backyard in San Marco!
Twitter: @Jagsdrew

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #128 on: August 24, 2018, 02:20:54 PM »
Not loud enough!!! Also, why go to Cowford when you have Seafood Shack right in our backyard in San Marco!

It's a special night for them, so we went with Cowford but it was close. But if you are curious, Mrs Paul's on a TV tray  edged out "Seafood Shack" (we refer to it as  Seafood Safari but I believe the proper term is Seafood island Grille) in the voting.

Jagsdrew

« Reply #129 on: August 24, 2018, 02:27:50 PM »
LOL, whatever it's called.  Maybe Seafood S***s?

Also, do you know if Cline's Butcher Shop is open? Wouldn't mind checking out the place and grabbing a few steaks there.  Looks like the lights are in inside driving by the other day.
Twitter: @Jagsdrew

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #130 on: August 24, 2018, 02:34:19 PM »
LOL, whatever it's called.  Maybe Seafood S***s?

Also, do you know if Cline's Butcher Shop is open? Wouldn't mind checking out the place and grabbing a few steaks there.  Looks like the lights are in inside driving by the other day.

Yes they are open. I think it was earlier this week.

MusicMan

« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2018, 10:22:48 PM »
Bought some filet mignon and New York strip from them tonight and grilled them. We were impressed. It's corn fed Nebraska and Colorado beef. I thought it was excellent.

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #132 on: September 18, 2018, 11:30:29 AM »
Due to our over the top "Jags/Pats" weekend celebration, we ate at Cowford and SouthBank Ruth's Chris rather close together  so I had a great opportunity for comparison between the two(Morton's is not a consideration for us). Here is the SMM tale of the steak.

I find the quality of the food a wash as I give no clear cut advantage either way. I am a steak guy and I find them close enough (would not object if someone feels one is better than the other) and my wife is happy with the seafood options at both. You do have more special cut options at Cowford.However, for "value", Ruth's is a little cheaper for similar steaks and if choosing certain entrees on the Ruth Classic menu, can be a significant difference (pro tip...some entrees are not a very good deal). In addition, gift cards tend to be available online (can usually get a minimum of 12% discount) so that swings it to an advantage Ruth's.

I find the service at Ruth's to be considerably  better. I am not saying the service is bad at Cowford but I never get the feeling I am dining at it's price point. I find it odd as the second floor is not very busy even when full. Service should be great.We have now been 5 times and we have had the same feeling every time....it never feels like a special experience. It always feels "special" at Ruth's even though it is a chain and been there done that.Note, we are clearly on some kind of "vip" list at Ruth's so it is not entirely fair to judge but a better comparison may be to other steakhouses we visit in other cities including two that Forking Amazing compared themselves to when they were discussing their plans...Abe and Louies or Halls Chophouse. Not even in the same planet for comparison.

Ambience--This is close as Cowford interior crushes the dated Ruth's but while I like Cowford second floor views, the river/city views at Ruth's never gets old for me. I like the level of 'bustle" at Ruth's as it is busy but not overwhelming. At Cowford, we like sitting next to the "hole in the floor" so we get a sense of the action down below. When we have sat along the wall, it feels a little too quiet for us. Ruth's is part of a hotel so it gets dinged and I love the Cowford exterior but could do without the pandhandler outside the door the last two times.Luckily, I am an a-hole so blowing him off while about to spend stupid amounts on a meal is no big deal to me. However, I cannot say the same for the "suburban couple" with us recently.I will give edge overall to Cowford but for first timers on a special date, it is hard to beat a window table at Ruth's.

If you are going for a separate drink in the bar this is like a first round knockout for Cowford rooftop. Not even worth debating.

If you dine like this once a year, I would certainly recommend people try Cowford for a special occasion especially for what the building was and that it is locally owned. However, being the finance guy I am....if the total cost is really important, just go to Ruth's and remember to order some gift cards before you go. You will get more bang for the buck. Sorry, I just can't help myself.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 11:33:08 AM by sanmarcomatt »

acme54321

« Reply #133 on: September 18, 2018, 11:45:25 AM »
However, I cannot say the same for the "suburban couple" with us recently.

They get them every time, I don't know what it is.  I took my buddy to 5 Points a while back and we are sitting outside at Black Sheep (I think) and I see one of the regulars hustling our way.  I specifically tell him when this person gets here you don't have any cash.  Sure as shit he had his wallet out before the person even moved their lips.  WTF?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2018, 01:05:53 PM »
I know this is starting to hijack the thread, but I got some food from Clines on Friday and it was fantastic.  I'm not a grill pro, so I just got 2 ribeyes, but they were fantastic.  It's a little pricey, but the staff is great and I will definitely stop by a couple times a month for some quality meats.