Author Topic: Inside the Cowford Chophouse  (Read 31166 times)

sanmarcomatt

• Mayor of The Coffee District
Re: Inside the Cowford Chophouse
« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2017, 12:38:07 PM »
Going to Cowford for the first time next Friday.  For those who have been commenting on the steaks not being cooked correctly, as I've seen several times, are they tending toward overcooking or undercooking?  Thanks!

My New York Strip was overcooked (ordered it Pittsburgh) but not enough to bother me.

I should clarify, it was nicely charred on the outside but overcooked inside.

I had to look it up as I had not heard the term before... I also prefer mine this way...

Pittsburgh rare. A Pittsburgh rare steak is one that has been heated to a very high temperature very quickly, so it is charred on the outside but still rare or raw on the inside.

If you use the Pittsburgh term you will sometimes get  impressed looks/comments in steakhouses. If you are shallow like me, you will appreciate that.

Will they/do they show you your steak prior to cooking?

Not sure if this is Cowford specific, but they did not offer.
I actually do not like seeing the slab of meat brought out beforehand and with my wife being a Pescatarian, she would would probably puke, so if places offer, I politely decline:)
 I don't think anyone does that in Jax unless the Tree does it but we never go there.

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2017, 12:59:55 PM »
One other Cowford note. They have Cowford books of matches! Yes, trivial, but I miss them being offered. And we do light fires in our fire place and candles...

KenFSU

« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2017, 02:37:31 PM »
Going to Cowford for the first time next Friday.  For those who have been commenting on the steaks not being cooked correctly, as I've seen several times, are they tending toward overcooking or undercooking?  Thanks!

My New York Strip was overcooked (ordered it Pittsburgh) but not enough to bother me.

I should clarify, it was nicely charred on the outside but overcooked inside.

I had to look it up as I had not heard the term before... I also prefer mine this way...

Pittsburgh rare. A Pittsburgh rare steak is one that has been heated to a very high temperature very quickly, so it is charred on the outside but still rare or raw on the inside.

If you use the Pittsburgh term you will sometimes get  impressed looks/comments in steakhouses. If you are shallow like me, you will appreciate that.

As a somewhat shallow gentleman myself, I appreciate the tip.

Good looking out, Matt!

I'll give you full credit in my head as I take full credit to my face :D

MusicMan

« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2017, 12:09:41 AM »
I went last night with friends who flew in from out of town for the Seahawks-Jags game. Everyone had a great time, The food was very good, the interior space is spectacular, the service was excellent.

I recommend!!

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2017, 04:33:23 PM »
roof top event if anyone needs any last minute New Years Eve ideas:

http://cowfordchophouse.com/toast-nye/

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2017, 05:07:44 PM »
If no one else has mentioned it upthread, the baked Alaska at Cowford is beyond outstanding.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

jaxrox

• Juno Who
    • Personal Page  FOLLOW ME IF YOU DARE
« Reply #111 on: January 01, 2018, 01:27:25 PM »
As a serious seafood lover (like the turf but go gaga for good surf, even better if both together ;) ) appreciate all the heads up..I have been keeping an eye on this thread.. quietly for awhile lol.. it's only new years but I been thinking about possibilities for Valentine's day already 8)
Happy New Year, Metro Jacksonville denizens!!!
Sending you all love, and loving my city!!!

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2018, 09:44:41 AM »
So Cowford still can't cook a Pittsburgh request correctly. WTF?

The last few times we have gone, I have gotten other cuts where I don't order Pittsburgh. But last night, I wanted a strip. The place was almost empty (From our vantage point upstairs, the bottom floor was literally empty for about 2 hours) so with the kitchen so slow, c'mon...you can do it. Nope. 0-2.

Cowford, I so desperately want to love you but I can't. They have been added to a semi-regular rotation but there is always something that is not up to the price point. Ruth's is always spot on so even though it is a chain, it remains our "got to" steakhouse. We used to vary it with an occasional Capital Grille or III Forks but Cowford has replaced those so I am grateful for that( I now have zero reason to go to that area of town.) However, Cowford still needs to step it up.

Speaking of Ruth's, the Ponte Vedra location is starting a million dollar reno and allegedly, the South Bank is next. Please let that be true.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 09:50:17 AM by sanmarcomatt »

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2018, 02:36:46 PM »

The last few times we have gone, I have gotten other cuts where I don't order Pittsburgh. But last night, I wanted a strip. The place was almost empty (From our vantage point upstairs, the bottom floor was literally empty for about 2 hours) so with the kitchen so slow, c'mon...you can do it. Nope. 0-2.

Cowford, I so desperately want to love you but I can't. They have been added to a semi-regular rotation but there is always something that is not up to the price point. Ruth's is always spot on so even though it is a chain, it remains our "got to" steakhouse. We used to vary it with an occasional Capital Grille or III Forks but Cowford has replaced those so I am grateful for that( I now have zero reason to go to that area of town.) However, Cowford still needs to step it up.

Speaking of Ruth's, the Ponte Vedra location is starting a million dollar reno and allegedly, the South Bank is next. Please let that be true.

I can confirm that the PV location was being actively bid, but I can't confirm that it's gone any further than that.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

KenFSU

« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2018, 02:41:54 PM »

I can confirm that the PV location was being actively bid, but I can't confirm that it's gone any further than that.

^Work starts in three days at the Ponte Vedra location.

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2018/08/03/ruths-chris-at-ponte-vedra-to-begin-1-3-million.html

remc86007

« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2018, 03:54:45 PM »
How, with the money they put into renovating that building, have they not been able to hire the right people to make it at least a comparable experience to Ruth's? Why not just poach the Ruth's people? Even if they have non-compete clauses, why not agree to pay the legal fees associated with fighting them if Ruth's even bothered to sue.

I know it isn't easy to put together a topnotch restaurant, but it isn't rocket science either.

Bill Hoff

« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2018, 04:30:11 PM »
How, with the money they put into renovating that building, have they not been able to hire the right people to make it at least a comparable experience to Ruth's? Why not just poach the Ruth's people? Even if they have non-compete clauses, why not agree to pay the legal fees associated with fighting them if Ruth's even bothered to sue.

I know it isn't easy to put together a topnotch restaurant, but it isn't rocket science either.

Internet comments being overly negative and critical?

That's unheard of.

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2018, 06:29:01 PM »

Internet comments being overly negative and critical?

That's unheard of.

Those damn "overly" negative and critical jerks on the internet. Spend $ 55 on a steak, and expect it to be cooked competently.  Unreasonable clowns.

MusicMan

« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2018, 05:17:05 PM »
What was wrong with the steak?

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2018, 05:34:35 PM »
When SMM is at a reastaurant, the waiter comes around and asks, is anthing all right?
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?