Author Topic: Learning From Georgia II: Atlantic Station  (Read 2835 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Learning From Georgia II: Atlantic Station
« on: June 04, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
Learning From Georgia II: Atlantic Station

First planned in the mid-1990s and officially opened in 2005, the 138 acre Atlantic Station is one of the largest and most recent urban renewal projects in the Southeast.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/455

Adam B

great move by miles
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 09:32:52 AM »
i think it's smart to use that brooklyn site for retail.  a Fresh Market would be great.  heck, even a publix closer to downtown would be nice.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Brooklyn Park for retail...
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 09:52:06 AM »
Yes, it definately makes sense.  Retail in that location can pull from most of the inner city especially once the new interchange at I-95/I-10 and Forest Street open up.  Plus JTA will be adding a skyway station on site, which means both the Northbank and Southbank will have direct access.  It also helps that Riverside Avenue was recently six laned and that going vertical gives this project visibility from the Fuller Warren Bridge.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 09:52:27 AM »
Great tour!

I can't wait to see Brooklyn's potential once the Centeral Park development nears build-out.  That area should be thriving in a few years.

JJ

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 11:12:54 AM »
Great photos! Atlantic Station is awesome. What a great development for Atlanta. I could definately see something like that in Brooklyn but on a smaller scale.

gradco2004

Another spot for re-development??
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 12:48:41 PM »
Another good spot in Jax for urban redevelopment is Blanding near Roosevelt. There is like a mini-downtown there that has a few stores. I think it is close enough to downtown to see a multi-block restructuring.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
Smile...But it does beg the question....
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 02:35:06 PM »
Where was this "ATLANTIC STEEL MILL," when we needed it most?

Shame this new Brooklyn Park or other area's of LaVilla and Brooklyn don't play up our great WAR OF YANKEE AGGRESSION history more.

Ocklawaha

avonjax

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 11:13:16 PM »
I truely hope that Brooklyn Park lives up to it's potential.
Although the residential market is currently weak, it should have an upswing in future and I would hate to see such a prime location be residentially under utilized.
This could easily be the most interesting affordable neighborhood adjacent to downtown.
All the changes that have been made to several new developments have left me skeptical.
Avenues Walk is just one of several.
It will be ok for the local neigborhood I guess, but I certainly won't drive across town to shop or visit.
They could have created a really cool environment with the original plan, but they blew it.
It's nothing more than another strip center in my opinion.
The scary thing about projects like this is they stick around for years.
If they blow it from the beginning, it's blown for good.
Very sad for Jacksonville.
I'm really much more positive about the city''s future than this post suggests, but we so often hear gradiose plans that are either radically altered from what is announced or don't happen at all.
I sure hope Brooklyn Park meets my expectations.

cinch2win

Our Atlantic Steel now sits where JTA is located
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 02:00:27 AM »
The old Atlantic Coast Line Roundhouse and yards were torn down for the JTA to throw up those puke colored buildings and if an effort could have been made to remove the tracks that led to the Prime, we could have incorporate the Prime and the yards into a grand development. The major problem was/is, there was/is not enough demand for retail in the downtown area.

Atlantic Station thrives because the area needed just what it provides. Having gone to Tech, I saw Home Park, just South of Atlantic Station rise in prices for everything from rentals to houses year after year as demand rose. It took the developers 2 years of EXTENSIVE cleanup to get the gunk and waste out of the soil. It was a mess, but well worth it as the land was so darn valuable.