Author Topic: Does Downtown Need Parking Meters?  (Read 19116 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Does Downtown Need Parking Meters?
« on: September 19, 2008, 04:00:00 AM »
Does Downtown Need Parking Meters?

Each year, Downtown vision conducts a survey of downtown business and property owners of things that can be improved in our center city.  Consistently, parking ranks as one of the top concerns of stakeholders.  Despite the fact that DVI has been in existence for eight years, nothing has been done to improve the situation.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/897

archiphreak

Re: Does Downtown Need Parking Meters?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 08:37:11 AM »
Of course it will work.  And for that very reason City Council will never approve it.  Anything that makes good logical sense will never fly in this city.  It's a plain and simple truth that we must all get used to until by some freak of nature the entire governing body of Jacksonville comes down with dementia and must be committed for their own safety.  Then we, the next generation, can silently slip into power and start affecting real change for the betterment of our city and our citizens.  A pipe dream I know.

xian1118

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 08:47:47 AM »
so what exactly is the barrier to opening up downtown to free parking (besides Bob Carle, who appears to be the poster child for self-serving city officials)? I think the signs would do just fine.

Not too long ago I was downtown for the DVI meeting on parking downtown, when I received a ticket - for a meter that had expired for maybe 5 minutes before I arrived. errrrgggg
If you will it dude, it is no dream.

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 09:39:29 AM »
Where do DVI, JEDC, and FMPO stand on the meter issue?
Lenny Smash

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 10:02:21 AM »
^ Great question.  However, are their stances even relevant when stacked up against the wishes Bob Carle and his ilk?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 10:28:52 AM »
Without the revenue from the meters, how does the city fund parking enforcement?  Even the signs will require some enforcement.

Other than that, I believe parking on the street should be free.  I've taken risks when I didn't have change but I'm one of the lucky few that haven't gotten a ticket.

GideonGlib

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 11:27:42 AM »
As a former Downtown resident that did not live in a space with a parking garage, it would make sense to me to be able to get downtown resident parking permits/decals that would allow 24/7 street parking to make Downtown a more attractive place to live. The hassle of feeding meters every time you wanted to unload groceries or were working on a task that would take more than a few hours was unbelievable,  Downtown residents being able to bypass that would make the city a much more attractive place to live.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 01:07:54 PM »
Nice idea.

Midway ®

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 07:21:30 PM »
If you add up all of the revenue from the parking meters and then come up with a total for all of the expenses directly and indirectly related to the parking meters, it would probably disclose a net loss.  The parking meters are there to maintain customers in the surface parking lots by creating an artificial demand for that service.

This is a fine example of how "industry" (to call parking an industry is a laughable contortion of that word) lobbyists can have a stunningly negative impact on a city when their desires are at cross purposes with rational development imperatives, and the city administration gives them everything they ask for.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 10:43:11 PM »
Free limited parking along the city streets would certainly help the business community, restaurants and entertainment should flurish. Parking without transit or transit without parking isn't going to work. We need to calculate in our transit usage, what it could be, where it stands to gain, and how parking, lack of parking, excess of parking etc... could play a major part in reshaping downtown. While congestion pricing probably won't work on a large scale in Jacksonville, it is possible that the municipal garages (and transit taxes on private facilities) could more then compansate for any profit from the parking division. So we'd have free on street parking, limited private lots, and massive private and public parking garages. Next focus our parking garages on mass transit - built in bus boarding, curbside electronic docking, real time information, shelter, as well as some retail and food establishments in each public garage. Where possible, they should be tied into the Skyway, and future Streetcars, or even commuter rail.

Parking poetry?
Look what's happening out in the streets
Got a revolution Got to revolution
Hey I'm dancing down the streets
Ain't it amazing all the people I meet
One generation got old
One generation got soul
This generation got no destination to hold
Pick up the cry
Hey now it's time for you and me
Come on now we're marching to the sea
Who will take it from you
We will and who are we
We are volunteers of America

OCKLAWAHA

GatorDone

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 11:07:46 PM »
If nothing else, could we class up the place a little bit and modernize the meters such as those in Savannah where there is 1 machine every so far and you pay then put receipt in you window?

downtownjag

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 01:57:31 PM »
As a downtown resident, I have personally blasted every official for the city I can think of about this issue.  I spend plenty of time telling people how great it is here which is all in vain when they come out to their car and there is green ticket on it.  The two parking patrolmen, who are just doing their jobs, post up out front of our building just before eight every morning and wait till the clock strikes eight to start ticketing.  I know, or at least believe, that DVI is against parking meters as it disrupts everything they are working hard to accomplish.  And without throwing too much mud, a quick google of Bob will show you just how qualified he is to be calling the shots with something as influencial as parking.   

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 08:56:28 PM »
Great find.  This is an issue that Jacksonville needs to address. 

Opponents also say the standards force developers to devote valuable land to parking, making housing more expensive.

Milwaukee, one of a small group of cities that has eased minimum parking requirements, did so because they were impeding redevelopment of struggling neighborhoods, said John Norquist, the city's mayor from 1988 to 2004.

Norquist, who today heads the Chicago-based Congress for the New Urbanism, described a lot that sat vacant for decades after a historic building burned down. The required parking made it unfeasible to build anything new there, he said. After officials relaxed the parking requirement, a thriving restaurant sprang up.

Some cities have switched directions altogether, replacing the minimum requirement with a cap on the maximum allowable number of parking spaces. London and San Francisco began making the shift decades ago. San Francisco is currently considering extending the new approach to more neighborhoods.

I love this idea.  I would like to see this happen with parking spaces and front building setbacks.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

WhatsUpJacksonville

• WhatsUpJacksonville
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 01:22:32 PM »
It seems that a good compromise for both parties would be to allow the infrastructure of the meters to stay, but make the meters free. It would be only a slight change from the current system. This would allow a person to park for free, but also keep them mindful of the time they have stayed in a spot.

-Anthony
WhatsUpJacksonville.com