Author Topic: Left out in the rain (and the sun)  (Read 2073 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Left out in the rain (and the sun)
« on: March 01, 2007, 12:00:00 AM »
Left out in the rain (and the sun)

We are approaching the time of year when people will begin to break out their swimsuits, jet skis, and boats.  It will be summer again soon.  And if you ride the city bus here in Jacksonville, don't forget to take your umbrella with you every single day.   That is because the sun can be harsh.  Not only that, but you'll need your umbrella to protect you from the daily summer thunderstorms.  Don't expect to find shelter at a bus stop.  That's because less than 5 percent of the bus stops in Jacksonville have a shelter.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/359

Jason

• Global Moderator
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 08:17:10 AM »
Great article.

All of the shelters should have posted bus routes and schedules as well as a city map.

I don't think that the advertisments are tacky at all.  It actually looks a helluva lot better than a concrete bench on the sidewalk.

hightowerlover

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 11:24:58 AM »
that shelter with the green ad space reminded me.  i keep seeing billboards that are like jumbotrons, its like a modern adaptation of those revolving billboards, and they glow so much more than a standard billboard would.  have these made their way to jax yet?  i think they're a nice touch of modernity to break up billboards and certainly eye catching, which is very important to marketing.

Osborn

Shelters needed ... but
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 12:51:07 PM »
I recently moved to Jax and one of the first things I noticed is that there were no bus shelters.  This is coming from someone who never rides the bus.  I would like to see shelters because it is more attractive and less confusing than a lone bench sitting on the side of the road, however, Jax has a major problem with homeless people and vandalism.  I would not want the shelters to become graffiti filled and low income housing.  None the less, I would like to see them because I think it ads a touch of class to a city and also says it is citizen friendly.    

Chris

makes sense
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 03:47:31 PM »
So the city is unwilling to put up shelters because of the ads, but they have no problem with the 12 foot tall pictures of Keith Pierson on the sides of the neon yellow buses?