Author Topic: Jacksonville's Ghost Town: Yukon  (Read 46364 times)

robert white

Re: Jacksonville's Ghost Town: Yukon
« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2014, 03:02:50 PM »
Hi I also lived across from yukon. My grand father owned a trailer park there. It was called Moores Village Trailer Park. I rember riding the school bus to pick up the other kids that lived there. Also that when they moved everyone from back there some of the houses were moved. And became F.J.C. now known as F.C.C.J.
My grandfather also told me he worked on the crews that laid the brick roads shown in the pictures. He also purched several trailers from Mr Butts. The outline of his trailer park can still be seen in the airel photo just north of the super target.

JaxToro

« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2014, 12:21:49 AM »
Ocklawaha and Nockatee,  Thanks for all your comments about Yukon.  The threads from you and the others has been fascinating reading.  I was thrilled to see the 1953 Aerial View of Dewey Park.  Do you recall the names of the streets ?  My family lived on 3434-A Taylor Street and I am curious as to where I lived within the complex.  I left Dewey Park before I turned six, so my memories are vague.  I clearly remember the church, the train depot, and riding my bike behind the mosquito spray truck.  I'm sure that cloud of poison did me a world of good.  If you know the street names, I'd love to hear from you.

jaymagee

« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2016, 08:44:39 PM »
Thanks to all the members for the great posts and information about this lost place. I live in Ortega Forest and drive down Roosevelt twice a day, to and from work in Mandarin. I've often glanced across the tracks to that cluster of buildings on my commute (the "central business district," I suppose) that looks lost in time and wondered about its story.

I write restaurant reviews for the Times-Union and visited Trent's Seafood last night to start my next piece. Then I started walking around to see the old P.O., church and gnarly grass fields. Now I know there was once life--and a lot of it--all around.

Another sad story about a part of Jacksonville lost to "progress." Not just a building knocked down there but a culture.

mbwright

« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2016, 08:21:46 AM »
Shrimp scampi at Trent's can't be beat.  They did a remodeling/expansion not too long ago, so the wait time is less, which is good.  It gets pretty busy at times.  I was sad to see the row of buildings across the street torn down.  There had been a fire some time ago, so not really surprised.  McQuerry Orchid Books used to have her shop there for a very long time.

acme54321

« Reply #139 on: April 10, 2021, 07:18:05 AM »
The Yukon Baptist Church was demolished this week.  Not sure what the plan is but I wouldn't be surprised if Builder's bought it.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #140 on: April 10, 2021, 03:27:18 PM »
That's unfortunate.  There's not much left over there but none of it is legally designated as historic either. So it's not surprising
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali