Author Topic: Transit in Jacksonville, Let's Get Started!  (Read 13548 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Transit in Jacksonville, Let's Get Started!
« on: August 28, 2008, 04:00:00 AM »
Transit in Jacksonville, Let's Get Started!

The following video was presented by Metro Jacksonville for the 2008 Environmental Symposium held on August 26th by the City of Jacksonville's Environmental Quality Division.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/884

gatorback

• “Know thyself.”
Re: Transit in Jacksonville, Let's Get Started!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 05:07:05 AM »
Good job MetroJacksonville!  Very informative.
'As a sinner I am truly conscious of having often offended my Creator and I beg him to forgive me, but as a Queen and Sovereign, I am aware of no fault or offence for which I have to render account to anyone here below.'   Mary, queen of Scots to her jailer, Sir Amyas Paulet; October 1586

Charles Hunter

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 05:56:43 AM »
Well done.
How was it received by the Environmental Quality folks?

lindab

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 07:45:47 AM »
Very impressive. I am so glad you included the "myths" section. Keep pouring it on.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 09:00:27 AM »
Very well done!

What would it take to get this aired on WJXT?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 09:08:41 AM »
Well done.
How was it received by the Environmental Quality folks?

It was taken well.  The only significant question that came up, was one concerning population density.  A gentleman thought we were too spread out for rail and that we needed to build up density around our rail corridors first, before moving forward.

My response was that I agreed that we needed to continue to build up density around our rail corridors, but depending on the specific corridor chosen, the density was already there or not as much of a concern for a commuter rail vs. heavy rail based system.  I then offered up Charlotte and Nashville as examples of spread out sprawling sunbelt cities with densities lower than the First Coast already operating rail based mass transit systems.  My underlying point was we should move forward with implementing a starter line, in the short term, along with continuing to encourage higher densities along our rail corridors.

JTA also had a pretty good video.  I'm hoping we can get it uploaded here within the next week or so.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 10:00:35 AM »
For those interested in embedding the video in their own site, here is the code:

Code: [Select]
<object width="522" height="288"><embed src="http://www.metrojacksonville.com/videos/flvplayer.swf?file=http://media.metrojacksonville.com/videos/environmental_symposium_rail.flv&amp;autoStart=false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="522" height="288"></embed></object>

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 10:04:41 AM »
I think I came out better then planned! Managed to hit every high point and avoided the sucker punches... (leave those to me! hee hee)

OCKLAWAHA

KenFSU

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 11:19:05 AM »
Extremely nice work to all those involved.

exnewsman

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 06:56:09 PM »
The JTA commuter rail video is on their website - in the RTS - commuter rail announcements section for anyone who wants to view it.

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 07:44:02 PM »
Here is the JTA video:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dHWHAWF_xKo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dHWHAWF_xKo</a>

Midway ®

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 09:02:59 PM »
This looks like the Metrojacksonville plan. (But they are not committing to anything).

GatorDone

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 09:20:09 PM »
Great job, I am sold .. it is time sleepy little Jax grows up. I hope to see this realized one day.

One comment was about density around the rail, my understanding is that the density will come once the rail is built, is this accurate?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 09:30:17 PM »
Its a little mix of both.  We have enough density right now in certain neighborhoods closer to downtown.  Density does drop off big time once we get into the sprawling burbs.  Imo, its always best to start small and expand.  It worked for Salt Lake City and now its working for Charlotte.

Applying this concept to Jacksonville, I'd start by linking dense pockets (ex. Riverside, Springfield, Metro North, Durkeeville, San Marco, etc.) with downtown and major employment centers along these lines (NAS Jax, Shands Jacksonville, Swisher, Gateway, etc.), while at the same time working to increase density around the rail corridors throughout the region (ex. areas like Yulee, Green Cove Springs, etc.).  Then as time goes on and the opportunity presents itself, we expand.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

TD*

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 12:19:46 AM »
Nice presentation, now it would be nice if Tallahassee could get some rail lovin' as well!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 12:25:01 AM by TD* »