Author Topic: Can Jacksonville become a Sustainable Community?  (Read 3132 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Can Jacksonville become a Sustainable Community?
« on: August 18, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »
Can Jacksonville become a Sustainable Community?

This April 2005 presentation by the Treasure Coast Regional Planning Council serves as an open and shut case as to why we need and how to create a walkable community.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/857

Captain Zissou

Re: Can Jacksonville become a Sustainable Community?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 09:01:25 AM »
This seems like a no brainer, but somehow it continues to be ignored by our city officials.  Maybe the big pictures and arrows will help them understand.  I like the list of The Big 7.  Very easy to follow, but could have a huge impact on how our city develops. 

lindab

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 11:55:28 AM »
These diagrams and concepts have been in circulation for almost 20 years. The Capt. is right - they have been mostly ignored except in a few places where entire roads and city blocks have to be rebuilt.

Duval Co is now left with very few places where developers can scrape off trees, fill in the wetlands and build a sustainable neighborhood. Come on Treasure Coast RPC- what does it take to rebuild those crappy suburbs?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 03:45:47 PM »
I think the answer is still a simple one.  Universally back the seven items mentioned in the report, even in existing suburban areas.  Things won't turn around over night, but neither did sprawl take over the community overnight.  What we see today has been a 50 year process and it may take just as long to correct our mistakes.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Abhishek

• Seeker
    • Personal Site
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 06:08:53 PM »
I like the slide 5 and 6 -  the different layouts of the same number of houses and businesses. If people are given the option of living in a walkable neighbourhood, they will use it. Cars will be used less, people will be happier and healthier. The whole presentation is common sense but cars are too much of a status symbol and people have unintentionally designed spaces to maximize car usage. This attribute of owning a car makes common sense very uncommon!

I agree with lakelander. The switch to walkable neighbourhoods will take a long time, probably more than what it took to build the sprawls. It takes longer to change people's minds than it takes to influence them. Gas prices help though! I hope they keep rising.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it" - Upton Sinclair

Coolyfett

• Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 11:52:10 PM »
Looks like whats old is new again..There are some buildings like that in Riverside, business at the bottom, apartments at top. They are some old buildings, but I remember seeing them. Good to see that style coming back around. Being able to shop near where you live sounds convenient.
Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!

9a is my backyard

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 10:27:53 AM »
I think the answer is still a simple one.  Universally back the seven items mentioned in the report, even in existing suburban areas.  Things won't turn around over night, but neither did sprawl take over the community overnight.  What we see today has been a 50 year process and it may take just as long to correct our mistakes.

I agree, but is it even possible to change Jacksonville from sprawl to mixed use outside of a few small areas?  It just seems like there would be too much demolition required of already disconnected areas to make it happen.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 12:12:31 PM »
9A, we could start with Brooklyn park and areas of Riverside.  Once people see how desirable a lifestyle this is, the mindset would change.  Once the market no longer wants another Julington Creek Plantation, those types of developments will decline.  There will be a new mixed use project going in on Emerson, University, or Southside rather than some community on A1A in the middle of a swamp.  As lake said, it will take some time, but if the market no longer demands car oriented developments, they will no longer be built.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 01:20:54 PM »

I agree, but is it even possible to change Jacksonville from sprawl to mixed use outside of a few small areas?  It just seems like there would be too much demolition required of already disconnected areas to make it happen.

They are doing it in cities like Charlotte and Austin right now.  Its possible, but it takes a long term commitment.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali