Author Topic: Commuter Rail Study Update  (Read 12680 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Commuter Rail Study Update
« on: August 15, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »
Commuter Rail Study Update

As a part of the First Coast Commuter Rail Feasibility Study, Gannett Fleming releases their final station recommendations.  These locations will be used to determine potential ridership numbers for commuter rail corridors in Jacksonville

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/870

Abhishek

• Seeker
    • Personal Site
Re: Commuter Rail Study Update
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 08:09:08 AM »
sweet..cant wait for this to begin implementation. It should be a no brainer when you compare the range of commuter rail to the proposed BRT system!
The study did not mention any cost per mile numbers though. That would be interesting to see.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it" - Upton Sinclair

archiphreak

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 08:15:29 AM »
I'm flabbergasted.  I want to jump up and down and yell Hurrah.  But of course, in true Jacksonville fashion, I'm sure they will come out against such an idea in favor of something much more ridiculous and expensive.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 08:19:23 AM »
I don't necessarily buy the argument to not recommend a station at Atlantic Blvd (San Marco Square).  Especially when current BRT route maps also don't show a stop there.  Wasted opportunity, imo.

Other than that, I'll be interested to learn more about how will they determine ridership numbers.  If the rail corridors are considered transit spines, with bus lines feeding riders into it, they'll be decent.
If they don't and assume we'll still have busways running parallel to them, they probably won't, making the entire project unfeasible in JTA's eyes.

As for costs, there's also a lot of room to wiggle there as well.  For example, do you start off with a double track system or a single track line with a few passing sidings?  This decision alone could add or save hundreds of millions.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

willydenn

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 08:30:29 AM »
Very cool.  What about an east/west rail section connecting downtown with the beaches?

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 08:55:24 AM »
Very cool.  What about an east/west rail section connecting downtown with the beaches?
I don't know that there's any track existing to connect the two. 

Obviously, there *could* be.  These are just the prelims based on existing trackage, right?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 09:40:48 AM »
How great are those St. Augustine Stops.
Lenny Smash

Traveller

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 10:49:50 AM »

As Doctor K points out, there are no tracks to the east currently in existence.  However, someone on this site (Ock maybe?) recently mapped out a potential route from the proposed JTB rail station to the intracoastal using existing power line right-of-ways.  The problem is what happens once the route crosses San Pablo Road.  The track would have to be built through environmentally sensitive wetlands on either side of the intracoastal, and there is no existing right-of-way through Neptune Beach.

rjp2008

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 11:54:33 AM »
There IS space for a station at JTB and Phillips Hwy. Currently there is some sort of bus station area right ther that could be retro-fit into a bus/train combo complex.

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 12:48:07 PM »
There IS space for a station at JTB and Phillips Hwy. Currently there is some sort of bus station area right ther that could be retro-fit into a bus/train combo complex.
Are you talking about the Park & Ride lot, RJP?  In theory, that'd be a great place for just such a thing.  However, I think thelakelander pointed out in another related thread that the location of an existing, active railyard right in that vicinity might complicate things relating to the proposed train station in general, let alone a combo-facility.

It would, however, be awesome:  Just think:  I could drive over to that former park-n-ride lot-turned-transit station, catch the train to the Transportation Center, then hop on a downtown PCT trolley to the stadium.  Or better yet, the finally-extended Skyway!

Baby steps.  That would be awesome.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 12:50:02 PM by Doctor_K »
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 12:49:16 PM »

As Doctor K points out, there are no tracks to the east currently in existence.  However, someone on this site (Ock maybe?) recently mapped out a potential route from the proposed JTB rail station to the intracoastal using existing power line right-of-ways.  The problem is what happens once the route crosses San Pablo Road.  The track would have to be built through environmentally sensitive wetlands on either side of the intracoastal, and there is no existing right-of-way through Neptune Beach.

There's a larger, more expensive problem.  All of that land is private property and would have to be purchased.  Rail to the Beaches would easily cost a couple of billion.  We need to focus on getting a cheaper starter line up first and expand out from there.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Abhishek

• Seeker
    • Personal Site
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 01:38:07 PM »
I am excited about being able to go to the airport and to St. Augustine without getting into my car.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it" - Upton Sinclair

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 01:44:24 PM »
That would be nice.  Such a service would definately begin to change the traditional growth patterns of our region.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 02:34:08 PM »
Charlotte's new rail system is transforming a place more spread out than Jax, into a walkable community overnight.  Here's an image snapped in South End (a booming TOD area south of Uptown) a week ago.

If we can properly integrate transit with existing neighborhoods and revised zoning ordinances, the same can happen here.  All we need is a little coordinated vision.

happical

• happical
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 03:05:27 PM »
I LOVE this, I hope it really happens.

HOWEVER, i don't understand is why UNF is not a stop?? There are tons of college kids that live on campus without cars that would use this system! They could even make the ticket machines accept OspreyCards! Gah!!! Come on JTA!!!

p.s. OspreyCards are UNF IDs which students (or parents) can upload money onto.