Author Topic: Downtown Construction Update - August 2008  (Read 7417 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Downtown Construction Update - August 2008
« on: August 14, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »
Downtown Construction Update - August 2008

A look at the status of various downtown projects under construction during the month of August.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/867

reednavy

Re: Downtown Construction Update - August 2008
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 06:57:50 AM »
Berkman Plaza 2, construction fail at it's finest. I bet they have abandoned it by now. It's getting rediculous, but still love the lonely tower crane.
Jacksonville: We're not vertically challenged, just horizontally gifted!

stjohnsguy

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 07:08:12 AM »
Is the Shipyards project dead?  I hope so....Would be better used as a Development similar to Bayside in Miami or The Southstreet Seaport in NYC.(See their websites)Get the jail out of there too and bring that area on the River to LIFE.   Can only dream

gatorback

• “Know thyself.”
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 07:30:47 AM »
Thanks for the update.  Are there no parking lots under construction downtown?
'As a sinner I am truly conscious of having often offended my Creator and I beg him to forgive me, but as a Queen and Sovereign, I am aware of no fault or offence for which I have to render account to anyone here below.'   Mary, queen of Scots to her jailer, Sir Amyas Paulet; October 1586

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 07:51:55 AM »
Is the Shipyards project dead?  I hope so....Would be better used as a Development similar to Bayside in Miami or The Southstreet Seaport in NYC.(See their websites)Get the jail out of there too and bring that area on the River to LIFE.   Can only dream

We already have a Rouse Marketplace like Bayside and South Street.  Its the Jacksonville Landing.  As for the Shipyards, its indefinately delayed, but I believe that's Landmar's property now.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Traveller

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 08:11:07 AM »
Although not technically downtown, the first Ortega Landing condominium building is coming along nicely.

http://www.ortegalanding.com/photos.htm

TREE4309

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 08:32:48 AM »
Anybody have additional info on the project at 20 W. Adams?  Is that condos for sale or apartments or offices?  Storefronts downstairs?  Do they have a website?

Developing101

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 08:35:26 AM »
The Shipyards is still alive, they are just waiting for the right time to pull the trigger.  Phase I was the residential tower - which might be another 3-6 years off depending on the condo markets.  Phase II will probably happen first, which will be retail on the first floor and I believe 7 floors of commercial offices.

Parking - the Kings Street Station is a huge parking garage that is probably 6 months away from completion (although who will actually use it???).

Berkman - Lord only knows that this developer will never finish the job.  Would you buy a condo from a contractor who cut corners and omitted a structural beam causing a fatal collapse?  They need to be charged to demolish the half tower and sell the land to a developer that would do something good for the city.  In all reality, this will be an eyesoar on the city for another 10 years to come.  Keep your eye out for Choate...

Developing101

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 08:41:33 AM »
TREE - 20 West Adams has been under construction for 4 years.  The general contractor (Kimmick) has been sued by all of his subcontractors for nonpayment.  Don't expect that project to be completed for years to come...  I believe it was intended as condos, but it will probably be apartments when it finally is completed.

TREE4309

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 08:45:51 AM »
Thanks...I knew it had been a slow-moving project, but I have seen some activity on it in recent months.  Sounds like it's ending up like so many other residential projects downtown have been lately...

Captain Zissou

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 08:47:01 AM »
  Are there no parking lots under construction downtown?

Just a guess, but I believe this is sarcasm.  Thanks for the insights anyway, 101.

Kings Avenue Station has definitely slowed, but it could just be that the work has shifted to the interior more than the exterior.  I think this forum is aching for some new material, at least I am.  Bring on Bay Street Station, Brooklyn Park, Hallmark, St Johns, Shipyards... San Marco Riverfront District anyone?  Back in the day it used to be a new proposal every week.  I'd be happy to just see Prado Walk go vertical.  
For those oldschool metjax readers, whatever happened to Bishopgate??

Developing101

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 08:55:53 AM »
Bring on Bay Street Station, Brooklyn Park, Hallmark, St Johns, Shipyards... Hell yeah!!!  I sure hope these happen.  That would be the best thing for the city and especially downtown.

Has Bay Stree Station started design yet?  Are they using a local architect or hiring out of Atlanta, Miami, or NY like every other huge project?

HerschelStRes

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 09:16:51 AM »
Whats up with the Prado walk? where is that located and what's it going to be used for?

ALSO whats with the artist walk under the bridge on Riverside Ave? Looks interesting..

hiddentrack

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 10:17:46 AM »
Parking - the Kings Street Station is a huge parking garage that is probably 6 months away from completion (although who will actually use it???).
Do you mean Kings Avenue Station? The parking garage has been open for a few years now, if I'm not mistaken. The current construction is actually replacing a couple of its surface parking lots with two hotels, a few restaurants at street level, and if the plans haven't changed, a mid-rise apartment building.

It's actually a great location. The hotels will be perfect for any out-of-towners attending Jaguars, Florida-Georgia, or Gator Bowl games since they'll have a hotel directly adjacent to one of JTA's game day shuttle locations. It also works well for anyone in town on business that will need to spend their days downtown since they'll have the Skyway at their doorstep. And let's not forget the AirJTA service which also has a stop at Kings Avenue Station.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 10:25:08 AM »
I would also say Kings Ave is within walking distance of two water taxi stops, making it a great game day place to stay.