Author Topic: Top Ten Lame Reasons to Delay Mass Transit in Jax  (Read 11584 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Top Ten Lame Reasons to Delay Mass Transit in Jax
« on: August 01, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »
Top Ten Lame Reasons to Delay Mass Transit in Jax

Here are the Top Ten Reasons to Delay Mass Transit in Jacksonville.  

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/856

AndyB

Re: Top Ten Lame Reasons to Delay Mass Transit in Jax
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 06:33:20 AM »
I am a Christian and I am a conservative radio listener. Two labels that I feel are two strikes against me in this very liberal discussion site. However, I think you will find that most conservatives and Christians are not opposed to light rail or public transportation. Many of us would in fact support light rail. There is nothing liberal about supporting your city and it's economic viability. People with common sense know it is the only way a city will prosper. I do question equating a "progressive downtown" with alchohol. That's just my opinion.
Perhaps you and those who I think do a very good job of voicing your outstanding ideas and opinions regarding the much needed change in this city on this website should take your argument to where people might hear it. Like I said, I listen to talk radio sometimes. I don't know if there is a local issues radio station currently. There used to be.  That might be a start. You are right on with your ideas but you are preaching to the choir on this website.
Find a medium to take your ideas to. Ock, Lake and the rest of you, I commend you for your reasonableness and I appreciate this website...take it to the next level, whatever it may be. Time to get rid of our mayor. I would even vote for a Dem if he had a vision.

vicupstate

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 06:56:05 AM »
For those that have a problem with alcohol being served Downtown, why is it not a problem in the suburbs?

Is it less sinful there?  Are drunks less disruptive there?  Do people drink less in a suburban bar than an urban one?

As a born and breed (but reformed) Baptist, I understand the views against alcohol (although I think it is taken to an extreme).  But I don't see the distinction of Downtown in this regard.  I realize the largest DT property owner is First Baptist, but most cities have several churches in their DT and don't have this debate, not that I have noticed anyway.   

I do agree that this forum needs to take it to the next level, that being direct political involvement.  By that I mean endorsing candidates in support of our ideas, encouraging candidacies, and coordinating campaign contributions of labor and money.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

will

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 08:34:45 AM »
Agreed. Metrojacksonville needs a political action committee - that puts forward and supports like-minded candidates.

downtownparks

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 08:37:49 AM »
Andy,

why do you feel you need to restrict alcohol? If you dont like to drink, then dont. Why must your value system, or more alarmingly, your church, dictate to those of us who like to have a drink from time to time when and where we have that drink?

BTW, I am also fairly conservative, but I tend to believe in personal responsibility, as opposed to church mandate.

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 08:46:24 AM »
BTW, I am also fairly conservative, but I tend to believe in personal responsibility, as opposed to church mandate.
AMEN!   ;)
I think you will find that most conservatives and Christians are not opposed to light rail or public transportation.
I think you're right on that point, AndyB.  However, as a regular listener to conservative talk radio, I've heard more than one host bring up that otherwise-conspiratorial argument regarding mass transit more than once.  I used to drink the kool-aid of Limbaugh and Boortz, but more and more I find myself forming my own opinions and respectfully disagreeing with a lot of arguments they present.

That's all I meant by that.  I hope you (and others) don't read anymore into it.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

alta

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 08:53:50 AM »
A PR initiative with the local media would be a good idea.  I think this has happened in the past.  There is not enough info out there about urban and transit issue.

Eazy E

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 08:55:36 AM »

I do agree that this forum needs to take it to the next level, that being direct political involvement.  By that I mean endorsing candidates in support of our ideas, encouraging candidacies, and coordinating campaign contributions of labor and money.

I think that would be an awesome way to build support (bi-partisan at that) forward-thinking candidates of any party.  Though I am very liberal, I am not blind in my support of political candidates. Give me a Repub who has good ideas on mass transit, crime, and city planning and I'll volunteer for the guy or lady.

Eazy E

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 09:02:16 AM »
Andy,

why do you feel you need to restrict alcohol? If you dont like to drink, then dont. Why must your value system, or more alarmingly, your church, dictate to the rest of the world how they should be living ?
A little change to what you said DP, but it expresses how I feel pretty well.  That is why, as a Christian, I can longer go to church.

will

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 09:03:05 AM »
I've never seen the issues discussed here as conservative or liberal. Who doesn't want a clean, livable and beautiful place to live? The enemy here is not a particular party, but rather apathy and a lack of planning. We're dealing mainly with the fallout from 50 years of both problems.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »
I don't get it AndyB, where does religion factor into urban planning?  I am intrigued by your statement, and I would love for you to elaborate on what you mean by that. I am a Christian myself, but I don't see where hopping on a train would be influenced by that...

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 10:28:21 AM »
When I posted the original article about Seattle I thought that could be Jax. Great rewrite Doctor K.
Lenny Smash

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 10:30:33 AM »
Thanks to the Seattle Times for providing the raw material, and to JeffreyS for providing the inspiration!  :D
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 10:41:14 AM »
Andy I fully agree with you minus the alcohol thing.  This site does tend to bring politics in way too much.  It is articles like these that have brought my enthusiasm for the site way down, and I do understand it is hard to come up with stuff every day, but every time it seems that authors on this site are scrambling to come up with something, their true political agenda comes out, and so does their hatred for the mayor.  I have never liked Peyton, and I believe most people feel the same way.  His second vote in was due to voter apathy, not voters who actually wanted him in office.  However, he is not so bad that he deserves repeated hatred and hatred for his father's company. 

And why continually bash Ponte Vedra and the Town Center?  Many citizens of PV are actually some of the most "progressive" people in the metro...they are, liberal and from the north.  So if anything, many are probably missing the public transportation they used to have.  Also, I know both of the developers of Town Center, and they are both very good guys.  Town Center may not truly be urban, but right now it's about one of the best things we have in this city, and it has really played an important role in our economy, even kind of put us on a map.
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 10:44:31 AM »
Simms3, if you don't mind me asking.  What, in your opinion, is the site's true political agenda?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali