Author Topic: Upcoming concerts at Daily's Place  (Read 36364 times)

TimmyB

• T
Re: Upcoming concerts at Daily's Place
« Reply #180 on: February 20, 2018, 10:28:25 PM »
^^
These bands were my life in the early 00s and for a number of my friends. Many of us are dads now.  :o

I'm a grandpa, but I prefer modern alternative.  :D I like what I like and I refuse to be pigeonholed by my age!

Murder_me_Rachel

« Reply #181 on: February 22, 2018, 08:39:44 AM »
Taking Back Sunday and Coheed and Cambria on July 8th. YES.

Instead of seeing Coheed and Cambria, why not take shitty drugs, play dungeons & dragons and watch Lord of the Rings and Star Trek simultaneously? Pretty much the same thing.

Tacachale

« Reply #182 on: February 22, 2018, 12:06:30 PM »
Those bands aren't my bag, but it's great to see a wider diversity of shows so far this year than last. Nice improvement, hope they keep building on it.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #183 on: February 22, 2018, 01:19:35 PM »

Instead of seeing Coheed and Cambria, why not take shitty drugs, play dungeons & dragons and watch Lord of the Rings and Star Trek simultaneously? Pretty much the same thing.

We're not 18 anymore, so no need for taking shitty drugs - we can afford the good ones.

I hope you meant Shatner Star Trek and not this rebooted shit, otherwise I don't think I could respect any more of your opinions on what's cool or not anymore.  ;D

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Tacachale

« Reply #184 on: February 22, 2018, 02:47:17 PM »

We're not 18 anymore, so no need for taking shitty drugs - we can afford the good ones.

The benefits of dad rock...
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

funwithteeth

« Reply #185 on: February 22, 2018, 04:59:25 PM »
I love Steely Dan and am considering going just because who knows when I'll get another opportunity? Becker's dead and Fagen isn't going to live forever. I don't care about the Doobie Brothers, though.

EDIT: I'd probably be one of the few under-40 people there, too! What an event.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 05:02:21 PM by funwithteeth »

MusicMan

« Reply #186 on: February 22, 2018, 07:38:14 PM »
July 8th?

Gonna feature 'Sweatin' My Balls Off' as the opener......

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #187 on: February 22, 2018, 08:23:49 PM »
I love Steely Dan and am considering going just because who knows when I'll get another opportunity? Becker's dead and Fagen isn't going to live forever. I don't care about the Doobie Brothers, though.

We saw them in June of 2016 up in Michigan.  Absolutely fabulous show.  It was SO disheartening to see Becker at the end of his time because the one time that Fagen turned the mic over to him, he went on an incomprehensible 3-minute monologue, talking about the old days (I think!).  It was uncomfortable, to say the least.  He really stayed way off to the side, playing bass.  Fagen was in the spotlight 98% of the time, and the travelling musicians (both instrumentalists and vocalists) were top notch.

As for the Doobies, I saw them at least seven times in the 70's and 80's.  They always put on a great show and the two main original songwriters and vocalists (Johnson and Simmons) have been with the group forever, so at least you will be seeing an authentic show, not some group of guys who travel under the name because the record label owns it.

Have fun!

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #188 on: February 23, 2018, 05:28:52 AM »

But is it Steely Dan withouth Becker? I mean, they were basically a duo. I've no idea who's in the rest of the band these days, of course.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

funwithteeth

« Reply #189 on: February 23, 2018, 07:20:15 AM »
There are purists who would argue otherwise, but really, as far as the Steely Dan live experience goes, the focus is generally on Donald Fagen. Walter Becker would play his bass, occasionally he'd switch to guitar, and every show he'd sing a couple of songs. Aside from that last part, he tended to stay out of the spotlight. Now, if it had been Fagen who died and Becker who lived, and if Becker had decided to soldier on with the Steely Dan name, I'd have little-to-no interest in going.

I don't say the above to denigrate Becker's place in the band's body of work—he was just as much a driving creative force as Fagen was behind those Dan albums I love—but as far the live show goes, eh....

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #190 on: February 23, 2018, 09:54:25 AM »

But is it Steely Dan withouth Becker? I mean, they were basically a duo. I've no idea who's in the rest of the band these days, of course.

They were really never a duo, at least in the popular sense.  They were more of a couple of guys that always wanted the best musicians for a certain song, and would change the pieces until it sounded exactly like what they wanted.  If you look at the Aja album, for example, it is an amazing collection of jazz, featuring Steve Gadd, Wayne Shorter, Larry Carlton, Joe Sample, Lee Ritenour, and a few minor names in rock like Micheal McDonald and Timothy B. Schmit.  The only thing that remained pretty constant was their songwriting and their perfectionism.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #191 on: February 23, 2018, 02:16:19 PM »
There are purists who would argue otherwise, but really, as far as the Steely Dan live experience goes, the focus is generally on Donald Fagen. Walter Becker would play his bass, occasionally he'd switch to guitar, and every show he'd sing a couple of songs. Aside from that last part, he tended to stay out of the spotlight. Now, if it had been Fagen who died and Becker who lived, and if Becker had decided to soldier on with the Steely Dan name, I'd have little-to-no interest in going.

I don't say the above to denigrate Becker's place in the band's body of work—he was just as much a driving creative force as Fagen was behind those Dan albums I love—but as far the live show goes, eh....

Fair enough. I consider anything pre-(and post) Michael McDonald to not be 'real' Steely Dan.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #192 on: February 23, 2018, 02:19:49 PM »

They were really never a duo, at least in the popular sense.  They were more of a couple of guys that always wanted the best musicians for a certain song, and would change the pieces until it sounded exactly like what they wanted.  If you look at the Aja album, for example, it is an amazing collection of jazz, featuring Steve Gadd, Wayne Shorter, Larry Carlton, Joe Sample, Lee Ritenour, and a few minor names in rock like Micheal McDonald and Timothy B. Schmit.  The only thing that remained pretty constant was their songwriting and their perfectionism.

Well, after the first few albums, it was just the two of them and whoever they brought into the studio. Which is kind of what I meant - Steely Dan really is/was the two guys. But yeah, Fagen was the more important of the two.

Kind of like Simon and Garfunkel. It's really Simon...with a smattering of Garfunkel when the notes were too high for Paul to reach.

MusicMan

« Reply #193 on: February 23, 2018, 02:32:29 PM »
FYI incredible concerts tonight and tomorrow at Jacoby Symphony Hall.  8 pm.

If you never been this is a good opportunity. All Russian concert with Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto #3 and Shostakovitch Symphony #5.

Power and beauty in these two amazing pieces.  Worth hearing the pianist, he's fantastic.

Jacksonville Symphony sounding better than ever, no doubt the most overlooked cultural entity in town. 
Support your local musicians folks.......

info here:   JaxSymphony.org

pierre

« Reply #194 on: February 28, 2018, 12:30:15 PM »
There seems to be a good number of seats still available for the concert at Dailys Place on 03/10 with the symphony and Wyclef.

I notice they started selling tickets for it on Groupon. It would be a shame if there are a lot of empty seats for such an interesting show.