Author Topic: Upcoming concerts at Daily's Place  (Read 35501 times)

RattlerGator

Re: Upcoming concerts at Daily's Place
« Reply #165 on: February 07, 2018, 08:03:05 PM »

Daily's Place has great sightlines, and modern amenities, but it's also pretty soulless.

Just kind of a stark, concrete bowl in the middle of a parking lot.

I'm not quite sure what it is, but it's still missing something to give it a little bit of character.

I don't disagree (I love the place, but I would have loved whatever they built); I suspect that "missing something" factor changes somewhat when Duval Live! gets built.

MusicMan

« Reply #166 on: February 07, 2018, 08:51:33 PM »
"I'm not quite sure what it is, but it's still missing something to give it a little bit of character."

Hardwood floors?

02roadking

« Reply #167 on: February 08, 2018, 09:52:16 AM »
  I've had sound issues at some of the shows at Dailys. So far it has been on the far eastern side, in both the lower and middle sections. It was so bad, that I'm not buying a ticket in that area anymore, if I can help it. I have sat all over in there at about 10 different shows and the sound has been fine, except that eastern side. I'm thinking that concrete wall or the sound guys, I don't know.

Springfield since 1998

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #168 on: February 08, 2018, 12:28:24 PM »
Someone must be listening to this thread.  WALK THE MOON at Daily's Place, July 1st!

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #169 on: February 08, 2018, 01:20:49 PM »
  I've had sound issues at some of the shows at Dailys. So far it has been on the far eastern side, in both the lower and middle sections. It was so bad, that I'm not buying a ticket in that area anymore, if I can help it. I have sat all over in there at about 10 different shows and the sound has been fine, except that eastern side. I'm thinking that concrete wall or the sound guys, I don't know.

I'm not in the music business, but isn't that something they can tune? In other words, is there a real flaw in the venue or is that part of "shaking out" a new place?

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #170 on: February 08, 2018, 01:46:43 PM »

I'm not in the music business, but isn't that something they can tune? In other words, is there a real flaw in the venue or is that part of "shaking out" a new place?

I brought it up on this thread or another too, and the answer I got Steve was, "yes".

My issue was that the different groups on the same night sounded.... differently.   The highs were almost 'screechy' and IMO should have been EQd out.  Silversun Pickups sounded great.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

remc86007

« Reply #171 on: February 08, 2018, 05:05:23 PM »
The sound can be mixed and eq'd to an extent. What they can't fix with room correcting parametric eq is the massive amount hard surfaces (including the huge wall to the left of the stage) and the reflections that they create. The best thing that can be done without adding a hugely expensive amount of sound dampening is to fill the seats and keep the volume level lower. As with most amphitheaters, the sound will never be great, but it can be passable. I think that's fine for most types of music as long as the mixing is done well enough. People aren't expecting it to sound like Jacoby hall.

MusicMan

« Reply #172 on: February 09, 2018, 01:31:53 PM »
" The best thing that can be done without adding a hugely expensive amount of sound dampening is to fill the seats and keep the volume level lower. As with most amphitheaters, the sound will never be great, but it can be passable. I think that's fine for most types of music as long as the mixing is done well enough. People aren't expecting it to sound like Jacoby hall."

HA. Well said.  The best sound men start with everything on ZERO and move the volume tab up slowly and with a hierarchy appropriate to the music.

I have played on both stages and my experience was interesting.  When Jacksonville Symphony first read through the Harry Potter score (in preparation for our show at Daily's Place) on stage at Jacoby Hall it was absolutely astounding, thrilling!!  Once we got to Daily's Place the "magic" was gone, although most people I spoke with ( including several musicians) said it was too loud but clear.  As we performed the score with the movie it was "boomy", you could hear the reverberation in the room. Not enough to throw you off, but annoying nonetheless.

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #173 on: February 13, 2018, 04:31:31 PM »
Well, two more concerts announced this week that aren't dad rock or country.  O.A.R. with Matt Nathanson on August 5th, Jason Mraz with Brett Dennen on August 17th.  Put these with the Thirty Seconds to Mars/Walk The Moon show that was announced last week and it appears they are starting to put together a nice offering of shows.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #174 on: February 20, 2018, 01:19:22 PM »
Taking Back Sunday and Coheed and Cambria on July 8th. YES.

KenFSU

« Reply #175 on: February 20, 2018, 01:52:09 PM »

Love it, C&C are amazing live.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #176 on: February 20, 2018, 06:46:13 PM »

Oh man! I kinda want to come back to Jax for this. Does this count as dad rock? lol

Tacachale

« Reply #177 on: February 20, 2018, 07:30:12 PM »

Oh man! I kinda want to come back to Jax for this. Does this count as dad rock? lol

Lol. Getting close if they’re not there already.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #178 on: February 20, 2018, 08:44:48 PM »

You notice he said "YES" was appearing with them, so I'm pretty sure this would count!

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #179 on: February 20, 2018, 10:18:30 PM »
^^
These bands were my life in the early 00s and for a number of my friends. Many of us are dads now.  :o