Author Topic: Study recommends JEA demolish, rebuild headquarters at $57 to $64 million  (Read 21948 times)

exnewsman

Come on people... nothing says entertainment district like the JEA. Maybe they will change their name to the Jacksonville Entertainment Authority.

itsfantastic1

Come on people... nothing says entertainment district like the JEA. Maybe they will change their name to the Jacksonville Entertainment Authority.

I think they took their tour of the Kansas City Power & Light District a little too literally.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT)
    • Music and Personal Info Website
LOLOLOLOL...Jacksonville Entertainment Authority; Hahaha...I like that, that's funny. If they move into the stadium entertainment area and district, that's what they should call themselves.
DONATE TODAY TO HELP ALL WHO ARE IN NEED BY CLICKING HERE ON MY MUSIC WEBISTE: http://HTTP://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/COSTON; ALL PURCHASES ARE DONATIONS TO HELP ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE NEEDY, UNDERPRIVILEGED AND DISADVANTAGED.

Kerry

It will be interesting if Khan's plan can't attract Vystar or JEA.
Third Place

Bill Hoff

^ Vystar purchased the current SunTrust building today.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities

Why? It makes no sense for either of them to be there, unless Khan or COJ is giving them millions in incentives to anchor that project.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jagsonville

Why? It makes no sense for either of them to be there, unless Khan or COJ is giving them millions in incentives to anchor that project.

Having a bland office building with tons of parking needs and no street level retail makes no sense for a supposed entertainment area. Khan would be better served to ride the real demand for residential and hotel rooms downtown. I really hope Adkins proposal wins out but I fear JEA’s backwards thinking will prevail and they will build some bland suburbanesque office building downtown.

JaxAvondale

I think they took their tour of the Kansas City Power & Light District a little too literally.

I was actually in Kansas City over the weekend for the first time. They have a very good downtown setup.

Steve

• The Jaxson

I think Kerry's point is around whether or not Lot J makes sense as an office use if VyStar and JEA turn it down. My honest feeling is that who cares?

Plus, there hasn't been a lot of negative downtown news lately which is why Kerry has just posted for the first time in a little while:)

KenFSU

Re: Study recommends JEA demolish, rebuild headquarters at $57 to $64 million
« Reply #129 on: October 12, 2018, 03:53:40 PM »
RFP for a new headquarters went out this week.

JEA board to discuss updates on site search on Tuesday.

Preliminary evaluation of responses in December, final selection in January.

https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/jea-board-of-directors-to-get-update-on-headquarters-search

Word on the street is that there's a strong internal divide between staying in the core and being the anchor tenant of the Lot J development.

I love the Atkins plan, and it keeps close to a 1,000 jobs in the CBD, but if I was betting $1 million of my own money on the decision, I'd put every penny on Lot J.

Seems to be the way the wind is blowing, and I think it's more than a bit telling that a decision that was supposed to be made a long time ago now has a timeline that almost exactly coincides with the Jags' negotiations of an economic development agreement with the city for Lot J.

We'll see what happens.

Silver lining is that, either way, Atkins is eyeing another three to floor blocks downtown regardless, even if his JEA proposal isn't chosen.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT)
    • Music and Personal Info Website
« Reply #130 on: October 12, 2018, 09:31:05 PM »
Good; here we go...now we're cooking with a pressure cooker. If Atkins loses out with his plan, what is it that he is eyeing to do in that area?
DONATE TODAY TO HELP ALL WHO ARE IN NEED BY CLICKING HERE ON MY MUSIC WEBISTE: http://HTTP://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/COSTON; ALL PURCHASES ARE DONATIONS TO HELP ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE NEEDY, UNDERPRIVILEGED AND DISADVANTAGED.

KenFSU

« Reply #131 on: October 12, 2018, 10:58:56 PM »
If Atkins loses out with his plan, what is it that he is eyeing to do in that area?

The Atkins plan is less a plan specifically for JEA, and more a post-Trio Phase II plan by Atkins that may or may not ultimately involve JEA.

The backbone of the plan is 500-600 more multifamily residential units and 100,000 square feet of retail spread across three to four city blocks. If JEA chooses Lot J, I think Atkins just foregos the office component and sticks to residential, retail (I could see Atkins being the first one to bring a name urban grocer downtown), and possibly another small hotel.

KenFSU

« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2018, 03:57:06 PM »
A little more information about the RFP here (sorry, it's paywall'd).

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2018/10/17/jea-begins-search-for-class-a-office-space.html

Only real thing of note in the article is that in addition to the 836 admin jobs being relocated, JEA is also looking at potentially moving around 130 other offsite call center/customer care-ish jobs to the new headquarters as well.

In total, we're likely looking at closer to 1,000 employees.