Author Topic: Developer proposes 13-story Southbank apartment tower  (Read 33837 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Developer proposes 13-story Southbank apartment tower
« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2020, 09:25:19 AM »
Hopefully since they are this far along, they'll get going soon.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #167 on: March 18, 2020, 04:51:33 PM »
That rendering or conception does not look like a 13 story building. How many stories? I see 7 or 8 in the rendering.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2020, 04:58:16 PM »
It is no longer 13 stories. People complained about the density, so it was chopped in half.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

heights unknown

« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2020, 05:02:58 PM »
Assholes; oops, excuse me, I'm sorry for my foul Sailor ass mouth.
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

howfam

« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2020, 11:48:31 AM »
Assholes; oops, excuse me, I'm sorry for my foul Sailor ass mouth.
[/quote

Yes Heights Unknown, I felt the same way about the height reduction when I first heard a while back on this thread. Seems like there's been several projects in the Jacksonville area that have been cut down in height recently. When first proposed, these projects showed renderings of high rise buildings , then somehow soon thereafter they mysteriously got reduced in height. Recall these projects:  the apts at Bishopgate in Riverside, proposed for 16 stories, ended up 5 stories; high rise apts at Jax Beach "The Waterfall" proposed for 11 stories, now sign at the site shows shorter 6-7 story structure; the hotel planned for "The District" project, planned as a high rise in all early renderings is now planned to be only  5-6 stories; and very recently the Ford on Bay (old courthouse site), anticipated to be high rise will be approved as a meager 5- story development.   This is a disturbing trend that casts suspicion on the motivation for these changes. Somebody in power seems to not want this city to have high rise buildings thereby depriving it of that "big city" look.  Shameful!!!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 11:52:46 AM by howfam »

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2020, 12:30:56 PM »
Seen them on site a few days ago taking down the lights and prepping. 

Seraphs

« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2020, 04:00:46 PM »
It's not the glimmering glass and steel-St. John, but oh well.  The St John would've been iconic.  Poof, gone!

howfam

« Reply #173 on: March 24, 2020, 07:15:45 PM »
It's not the glimmering glass and steel-St. John, but oh well.  The St John would've been iconic.  Poof, gone!

I remember the St. John proposal, 51 or 52 stories.  Would've been a great visual addition to the south bank skyline.

jaxjaguar

« Reply #174 on: March 25, 2020, 02:57:13 AM »
In 12 years Jacksonville went from having a promising future with several new sky scrapers, to falling down a sky scrapers worth of stairs behind downtown Orlando, knocking down several iconic buildings with no replacement plan. Whoda thunk it?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #175 on: March 25, 2020, 09:05:29 AM »
A realist could see it coming a mile away. It's just disappointing to see the worst case scenario around projects like the various demolitions and the major pipe dreams appear to be in the process of happening. Potentially a decade blown.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #176 on: March 25, 2020, 10:35:29 AM »
It is no longer 13 stories. People complained about the density, so it was chopped in half.

More likely, it's really expensive to build up.  For a project like this we could easily be talking 50% - 60% or more per sq foot.   Jacksonville isn't exactly a market full of people making 6 figures.  IIRC it has one of the smallest percentages of the 50 major metros in the US.   

On top of that, there's been a lot of high end rentals coming online downtown.  How many more can this small market support in the near future?   I'm not saying it can't.  Just that this is a question investors and others creating a project like this are going to be asking.

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #177 on: April 01, 2020, 04:41:17 PM »
Under construction now; taken this afternoon.  Workers and excavators on site.

Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

heights unknown

« Reply #178 on: April 01, 2020, 09:23:45 PM »
Don't know whether I should leap for joy, or burn in the deepest part of a pit.

marcuscnelson

• Generation Z - Totally Screwed
« Reply #179 on: April 01, 2020, 10:02:45 PM »
It's something.