Author Topic: Developer proposes 13-story Southbank apartment tower  (Read 27361 times)

Adam White

• Facebook
Re: Developer proposes 13-story Southbank apartment tower
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2018, 09:06:37 AM »
A 2 story single family home is not a 7 story 150 unit apartment building.

You don't say?

Well - we were talking about how a multi-story apartment would hold up over time with wood framing, then someone suggested single family homes do it as if they were equivalent.  Eventually the White House came into the discussion.

Look through all my posts and tell me if you still think I am arguing in favour of a multi-story apartment building made out of sticks of pine and sheetrock.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #151 on: October 30, 2018, 09:10:39 AM »
A 2 story single family home is not a 7 story 150 unit apartment building.

You don't say?

Well - we were talking about how a multi-story apartment would hold up over time with wood framing, then someone suggested single family homes do it as if they were equivalent.  Eventually the White House came into the discussion.

Correct - it's a three story building plus a basement that's (originally) made of wood and handles an incredible about of people every day. It's an example that I thought most could relate to.

Plus we've already talked about the 3 and 4 story apartment buildings in Riverside and Springfield that are made of wood and are at or near 100 years old and that didn't seem good enough....

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2018, 09:24:49 AM »
If people think this type of construction won't hold up, the majority of cities across the country are screwed then.

https://denverinfill.com/blog/2017/09/modera-river-north-arts-update-3.html

From OKC, San Diego and Denver, to Nashville, Atlanta and Jax, this is how these projects are being built across the US right now.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #153 on: October 30, 2018, 09:36:34 AM »
The issue I have is that I don't believe they weather well. It's not just multi-story buildings. Look at all the subdivisions that spring up overnight. Within 20 years they look completely beat down and worn out. This sort of construction has a limited lifespan and is essentially treated as being disposable. I have a serious problem with that, regardless of whether it is the industry standard or not.

On the bright side, I guess we're all fucked anyway and our wasteful lifestyles mean that humankind is going to disappear from this planet soon - possibly within the lifespan of those buildings.

And at least the construction is expected to hold up for a few decades. Can't really say the same for the style.

KenFSU

« Reply #154 on: October 30, 2018, 09:55:00 AM »
On the bright side, I guess we're all fucked anyway and our wasteful lifestyles mean that humankind is going to disappear from this planet soon - possibly within the lifespan of those buildings.

Love that you're a glass half full kind of guy, Adam :D :D :D

acme54321

« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2018, 10:03:21 AM »
Can't really say the same for the style.

I'll agree to that one.  I'm a lot more concerned about the timelessness (specifiaclly lack thereof) with this style.  These cookie cutter buildings are starting to spring up all over the place.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2018, 10:29:20 AM »
Can't really say the same for the style.

I'll agree to that one.  I'm a lot more concerned about the timelessness (specifiaclly lack thereof) with this style.  These cookie cutter buildings are starting to spring up all over the place.

I fear they will look extremely dated in a matter of years. And that will be an excuse to raze them and build something new. Which (wastefulness aside) isn't entirely a bad thing - but given Jacksonville's track record, might end up resulting in some prime waterfront parking spaces.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2018, 10:29:44 AM »

Love that you're a glass half full kind of guy, Adam :D :D :D

8)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #158 on: October 30, 2018, 10:38:37 AM »
The cookie cutter, weatherization stuff is more about the cheap, non load bearing exterior materials moreso than the structural components. The four frame apartment complexes in these images (Dallas, Tampa and Orlando) are either older or near 15-20 years in age. They seem to have aged fine with continued maintenance.

I remember this one burning down while under construction in Ybor City in 2000.

Full article: https://www.fireengineering.com/articles/print/volume-153/issue-10/features/ybor-city-fire-tampa-florida.html

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

KenFSU

« Reply #159 on: June 18, 2019, 10:24:35 AM »
Update, via the Daily Record:

Southbank apartment development

Ventures Development Group LLC has come to an agreement with DIA staff on project deadline extensions for its plans to build a 185-unit apartment development along Prudential Drive, between the Eight Forty One Building and the Acosta Bridge.

The DIA board will vote on a resolution next week that would give Ventures until Dec. 31 to obtain title to the 2.9-acre property.

It also sets deadlines of March 1 for the company to obtain permits for vertical construction and Sept. 1, 2020, to begin vertical construction.

Ventures' design was approved by the DDRB in October after a lawsuit with an adjacent property owner forced the company to limit the scope of the project.

Ventures will extend the Southbank Riverwalk as a result of the lawsuit settlement and provide 55,000 square feet of open public space along the St. Johns River.

The DIA has extended Ventures a 20-year, $7.88 million Recapture Enhanced Value Grant for the project.

link: https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/downtown-investment-authority-will-take-action-to-validate-ceo-selection

Kerry

« Reply #160 on: June 18, 2019, 10:42:15 AM »
We will be in a developing killing recession by then.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 11:26:51 AM by Kerry »
Third Place