Author Topic: Developer proposes 13-story Southbank apartment tower  (Read 19045 times)

KenFSU

Re: Developer proposes 13-story Southbank apartment tower
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2018, 12:29:31 AM »
^Counterpoints.

1) Metro Houston has 6.5 million people living in an area smaller than Jacksonville. Makes sense that they'd have more, bigger skyscrapers than a metro of 1.5 million spread over a larger land area. You build up when a shortage of land makes building out more expensive.

2) Demand for residential units and office space in downtown Jacksonville is finite. If there's demand for 1,000 apartments, you've got to chose between height and density. Personally, I'd rather have ten 5-story apartment buildings going up and providing some infill than one 50-story highrise.

3) If you compare our skyline to that of comparable MSAs, it's actually quite nice.

howfam

« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2018, 04:39:39 AM »
10 years ago they were going to build a skyscraper, twin ones at that, close to 700 feet in height. The economic bust in 2008 killed that. I agree, a beautiful river and waterfront and the best we can muster for the image and identity of downtown Jax is 5 story apartment complexes and developments, and I understand there's not many on the waterfront "per se," but Jax is a city of close to 1 million people. Look at Houston that also consolidated with it taking over most of Harris County; booming skyline, sleek and gleaming scrapers gracing the sky, and no, skyscrapers don't make a city, people do, but they sure help to boost the image and personality of that city to lure more people in; and of course the businesses have to be lured in as well to the urban core and downtown, in order to produce such gleaming and tall monoliths for major cities like Jax (or are we?). Business, economics, and a burgeoning skyline needs to catch up with that population. My Jax is doing much much better but still behind the 8 ball of other major American and Florida cities.

Well stated. Thanks for that good , common sense analysis. / howfam

acme54321

« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2018, 08:08:28 AM »
The market can support what the market can support.  If there was a demand for big skyscrapers you'd see developers proposing to build them. 

jaxnyc79

« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2018, 06:39:03 PM »
Quit thinking small and in a box and get businesses and the right people in our government in here that can get our city fired up. Jax has been thinking "little engine that cant" for far too long. Not that I am lobbying for huge gleaming skyscrapers cause as I said, they don't make a city, but it sure helps with erasing the small minded, in a box suppressive mentality that has kept Jax down for far too long. Ken brought up a super good point, and I already knew that; yes, the demand is not there; well dammit, city and county leaders, "DO WHAT IT TAKES TO GET THE DAMN DEMAND HERE!"

Isn't that's why they are elected, and or appointed, and make the big bucks?

One thing I learned working for the government in the Navy: "NEVER SAY NO AND NEVER SAY YOU CAN'T!" There is always a way; and if it isn't, then query other places and people to find out a way!

Huh?

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT)
    • Music and Personal Info Website
« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2018, 07:42:43 PM »
I give up!
DONATE TODAY TO HELP ALL WHO ARE IN NEED BY CLICKING HERE ON MY MUSIC WEBISTE: http://HTTP://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/COSTON; ALL PURCHASES ARE DONATIONS TO HELP ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE NEEDY, UNDERPRIVILEGED AND DISADVANTAGED.

downtownbrown

« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2018, 02:27:17 PM »
Heights, "I give up" sounds like a combination of "No" and "I can't", so.....

heights unknown

« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2018, 04:43:54 PM »
"DOWNTOWNBROWN;" In all due respect, please don't get smart in which you aren't; so stand down. That was directed at you or whoever was pretending you didn't know what I was saying in that previous post, so I deleted the post. You have no game, so don't try and play any. You called me out, so I'm responding out in public the way you tried to play your weak game to me jabbing me in the open; real men don't play games. If you want to talk in private, talk to me behind closed doors on my facebook page (GARRY B. COSTON). We can go toe to toe THAT way. Don't try and game play me in public; that's the sign of a coward. Thanks.
DONATE TODAY TO HELP ALL WHO ARE IN NEED BY CLICKING HERE ON MY MUSIC WEBISTE: http://HTTP://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/COSTON; ALL PURCHASES ARE DONATIONS TO HELP ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE NEEDY, UNDERPRIVILEGED AND DISADVANTAGED.

heights unknown

« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2018, 05:05:19 PM »
A super or good Man, Manager or Leader praises in public, reprimands in private. Remember that please because not only does it apply to good and sound management or supervisory principles, but also in good and sound "life principles." THAT's what I was saying to you in my post about playing games and cowardice; didn't mean to offend or disrespect, but you never call people out in public unless they called you out first, or offended you or your family in some way and you reciprocate, but if you are a real man, you won't even reciprocate but instead you'll just ask them to "go behind the shed" so to speak to talk or duke it out. So lets forget about this and get back on topic; OK? Thanks.

bl8jaxnative

« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2018, 11:49:50 AM »
Where exactly is this proposed for?

The surface lot between the Aetna building and Acosta bridge.

Thank you.  I'm just not sure which one is the Aetna Building.    Is hat the building with the Prudential logo on it?

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3117237,-81.6602792,717a,35y,39.26t/data=!3m1!1e3

Dolph1975

« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2018, 12:21:06 PM »
Where exactly is this proposed for?

The surface lot between the Aetna building and Acosta bridge.

Thank you.  I'm just not sure which one is the Aetna Building.    Is hat the building with the Prudential logo on it?

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3117237,-81.6602792,717a,35y,39.26t/data=!3m1!1e3

No, it's the building across Prudential Avenue from Baptist Hospital.  Technically, it's not the Aetna building anymore since Aetna punked out and moved to the southside  :(
It now has Baptist & OneCall's name on the top of it.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2018, 05:36:43 PM »
I just saw the latest rendering. It's been chopped in half. It's seven stories or so tops.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxnyc79

« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2018, 08:18:32 PM »
How well does it interact with streets?

acme54321

« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2018, 09:07:55 PM »
It doesn't, at all.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2018, 09:24:59 PM »
How well does it interact with streets?

It doesn't. It faces the river in the back of a parking lot. The nearest street is the Acosta Bridge.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali