Author Topic: Elements of Urbanism: Manhattan  (Read 6453 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Elements of Urbanism: Manhattan
« on: July 25, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »
Elements of Urbanism: Manhattan

There are some things that you just can't compare.  Holding Urban Jacksonville up against Manhattan just doesn't seem fair.  Today, from the top of a double decker tour bus, Metro Jacksonville shares sights from America's premier urban center: New York.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/849

jeh1980

Re: Elements of Urbanism: Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 05:31:18 AM »
We can learn a lot from Manhattan. I think that in my opinion, a little bit of New York's Times Square will definately be needed in downtown Jacksonville soon...perhaps on some parts of Bay Street or Laura Street. Good article. Jacksonville, do lose hope. Expand your vision! 8)

copperfiend

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 07:26:31 AM »
I have friends and family in Brooklyn and try to make it up there as much as possible. It's great how many historic structures have beens saved in the city. I love the neighborhoods and how each one is self sufficient. It's an amazing place.

pwhitford

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 09:59:01 AM »
I was born and raised in NYC (in The Bronx, in fact) and didn't leave it until 2003.  I can't tell you how good it feels just seeing these pictures.  I recognize almost every single location and most of them evoke very specific memories for me.  Beautiful job on the pictures.  Thank you. 

Of course, now having said that, it's time to get back to making Jacksonville, especially downtown, the vibrant, desirable destination it should be.
Enlightenment--that magnificent escape from anguish and ignorance--never happens by accident. It results from the brave and sometimes lonely battle of one person against his own weaknesses.

-Bhikkhu Nyanasobhano, "Landscapes of Wonder"

brooklynborn

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 11:35:33 AM »
hi guys. First off I want to tell u how I enjoy this site. I like to see people who want to see there city grow and become what it should be. im also from nyc(brooklyn) and my wife and we been here for a year and some months. we love the weather but unfortunately we r a little bored,not bashin jax because I have some family here and i had alot of fun when I was young visting but I dont understand the city's downtown fabric. I thought a city's downtown is supposed to be the happening spot and everything is so far away. Im Afraid to bring my cousin and friends( they from brooklyn too so u guys know how that goes)because they r used to doing things all day and all night. There's nuthin wrong with taking elements from the greatest city in the world and adding ur own southern history to it(look at atlanta). love the pics from nyc and keep this up guys it will continue to visit this site. P.S Where do u guys hold ur meeting or do u have meetings?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 12:06:44 PM »
We hold our meetings 6pm, every Tuesday night at the Hola Mexican Restaurant (1001 North Main Street).
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
Manhattan....

Soon my dream to visit the NYC will come true.

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 12:49:41 PM »
When was MJ in NYC? I just got back after spending most of this week there.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 12:52:31 PM »
Tuesday and Wednesday of last week and Monday of this week.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

brooklynborn

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 01:17:52 PM »
thanks. I will be there.

brooklynborn

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 01:22:52 PM »
It does really seem unfair to compare jax to nyc.

pwhitford

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 01:49:22 PM »
The skyline in that first shot (with the cruise liner) still looks weird to me without the WTC.  But it’s nice to see scenes of “normalcy” in the other shots showing the area around the reconstruction effort.
Enlightenment--that magnificent escape from anguish and ignorance--never happens by accident. It results from the brave and sometimes lonely battle of one person against his own weaknesses.

-Bhikkhu Nyanasobhano, "Landscapes of Wonder"

RiversideGator

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 01:18:13 AM »
Great shots of one of the greatest cities in the world.  Thanks for posting them.  Who took these BTW?

Also, I thought the Russian Tea Room had been closed yet there is some sort of sign for it here:

Anyone know about this?  I dined there in 2001 and it was great.  I heard it had closed but hopefully it has been revived.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 01:55:54 AM »
I'm waiting for the "learning from Starke, Palatka, Lulu and Two Egg" segments to start. I figure they're much more important to me then New York City.

OCKLAWAHA

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 06:13:11 AM »
Great shots of one of the greatest cities in the world.  Thanks for posting them.  Who took these BTW?

I took some last Wednesday and a few more this past Monday.  Its the first of about 15 Northeast cities I spent time in over the last week or so.