Author Topic: City will seek Proposals for Shipyards + Met Park Combined Development  (Read 48995 times)

MusicMan

Re: City will seek Proposals for Shipyards + Met Park Combined Development
« Reply #270 on: April 20, 2017, 11:18:22 AM »
Well according to the "well informed" industry folks blogging here every potential developer in North America and beyond saw this RFP and 3 bids came in. Draw your own conclusions.

I'm still waiting on a Starbucks return to downtown for what it's worth.

RattlerGator

« Reply #271 on: April 20, 2017, 01:00:18 PM »
Yeah, man. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I mean . . . golly gee -- if only they had spent thousands and thousands more dollars trying to convince some corporation somewhere that this hidden gem of a property, sitting in plain sight for decades on the St. Johns River with probably around 200,000 daily vehicle traffic passing right by it on the road from New York to Miami was up for a major redevelopment bid AGAIN !!! Then, maybe, there would have been more respondents.

Ridiculous.

vicupstate

« Reply #272 on: April 20, 2017, 08:28:18 PM »
Yeah, man. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I mean . . . golly gee -- if only they had spent thousands and thousands more dollars trying to convince some corporation somewhere that this hidden gem of a property, sitting in plain sight for decades on the St. Johns River with probably around 200,000 daily vehicle traffic passing right by it on the road from New York to Miami was up for a major redevelopment bid AGAIN !!! Then, maybe, there would have been more respondents.

Ridiculous.

You honestly don't think that if there was no insider favorite and no remediation needed, that there would not be more bidders? you are kidding yourself.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #273 on: April 20, 2017, 10:07:24 PM »
All these urban core experts. SMDH. Yeah, I'm blind. Look in the mirror, please.

One has to work extremely hard, from a very biased position, to not see the tremendous plus this is for Jacksonville. To not see how incredibly fortunate we are the St. Louis Rams *weren't* sold to Shad and, as a result, he kinda-sorta fell in our lap. Without that occurrence, it's very likely all of you urban core Jacksonville experts in the bitch-and-moan brigade would be pontificating -- with your presumably massive bankroll sitting on the sidelines -- about the only thing needed for that property to take off is X, Y, and Z. And, of course, dismissing actual skin in the game as some sort of theoretical positive.

And the presumption that no knowledgeable city officials are involved in the negotiations about to take place? Damn. Wasn't there damn near universal praise of Mousa rejoining city government almost two years ago? Now he's an idiot ? ? ?

+1000000000

Fukin awesome!
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

MusicMan

« Reply #274 on: April 20, 2017, 10:32:54 PM »
Rattler Gator, since you are the expert, what comes first?  A winning season by the Jags or a finished product on The Shipyards?

Shad Khan has made a billion dollars (in equity) without ever fielding a winning team. 

He's playing everybody ........................  17-63 over 5 years.

And I'm a season ticket holder..........SMDH

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #275 on: April 20, 2017, 10:42:03 PM »
Haha. That's a difficult question MusicMan.  I'll put my money on the team stumbling into a 9-7 season first.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

JBTripper

« Reply #276 on: April 21, 2017, 10:27:03 AM »
Rattler Gator, since you are the expert, what comes first?  A winning season by the Jags or a finished product on The Shipyards?

Shad Khan has made a billion dollars (in equity) without ever fielding a winning team. 

He's playing everybody ........................  17-63 over 5 years.

And I'm a season ticket holder..........SMDH

Khan has taken what was a franchise on the brink to a franchise that is the envy of many in the league. Thanks to NFL revenue sharing, the win/loss record has been totally disconnected from franchise value for a long time. Without Khan, it's very likely the Jaguars would be losing in another city. And whoever bought the team would have made even more in equity by moving the team to Los Angeles/Vegas.

Instead, the Jaguars are here, their future looks bright, we get an amphitheater, and a billionaire with a vested interest in making something happen with the shipyards.

In the universe some seem to prefer, the city would simply pay to remediate the contaminated shipyards which is now not only located across the street from a jail, but also a vacant and crumbling Jacksonville Municipal Stadium. Somebody please explain to me how the city gets a better deal in that scenario.

MusicMan

« Reply #277 on: April 21, 2017, 04:21:19 PM »
"Khan has taken what was a franchise on the brink to a franchise that is the envy of many in the league."

In a parallel universe.

"Instead, the Jaguars are here, their future looks bright,"

Every analyst on 92.5 FM predicted a losing season next year, and perhaps catastrophic if we start poorly.

"we get an amphitheater"   

Neat.

That being said I am recruiting my old high school buddies from out of town for the December 10 matchup with the Seahawks.

RattlerGator

« Reply #278 on: April 24, 2017, 10:11:48 AM »
So, MusicMan, if Blake had not regressed last season and we challenged but failed to make the playoffs -- you'd feel differently about Shad Khan's investment in downtown Jax? Is that what you expect me to believe?

The incredible frustration with our team, I share it. However, that is a clearly separate issue. As is the crazy insistence to view Shad Khan through the lens of what has occurred in downtown Jax prior to his arrival. If you're a slave to our prior history, you might want to sit down and think for a minute and then cast off those shackles.

In a statement issued after the authority’s unanimous vote, Khan said, “I’d like to think no one believes in the potential of Jacksonville as much as I do"

MusicMan, it's high time you started believing this businessman. He has seen that we're a diamond in the rough and he has also seen that he can make serious money here OFF THE FOOTBALL FIELD because of that fact. Where others can only see us through a lens blurred by our past (still looking at you, Ennis!), Shad is not shackled by that foolishness.

And we are extremely fortunate for that fact at this particular point in our history. [1] A President of the United States who is quite appropriately *not* embarrassed by the namesake of our city, [2] and a can-do colored bwah bound and determined to make some shiznit happen in a town with an oversupply of members in the Bitch-and-Moan Brigade. My, my, my.

Bold New City of the South, indeed. Bold New City of Florida, too.

MusicMan

« Reply #279 on: April 24, 2017, 06:36:50 PM »
I really like Shad Khan. I don't think I've ever disrespected him on this blog. And I won't.  But I do temper my comments with my perspective and a healthy dose of reality.

I am damn Season Ticket Holder RG. I've stated over and over how much I love the stadium experience here.  I think you sense my frustration with the COJ as a whole, and having lived in Miami, Coral Gables, South Beach, Boca Raton, Tallahassee, and worked in every major metropolitan area in The US ( as a touring theatrical musical performer)  I know what great cities look like. Ours is a city of promises just out of reach. Even today there is so much under utilized potential here I can't stand it.  But I believe the folks who can weather the storm will be richly rewarded. Hopefully both of us as well.   

RattlerGator

« Reply #280 on: April 25, 2017, 09:47:33 AM »
Even today there is so much under utilized potential here I can't stand it.  But I believe the folks who can weather the storm will be richly rewarded. Hopefully both of us as well.

Agreed.

This is the thing, however. We want so much for our town, we see so much potential, that in the face of the unrealized reality we get understandably exasperated.

I think the sports and entertainment district is going to be a huge success and we'll soon look back on this year as the start of the Jacksonville Decade. But with the big, beautiful Saint Johns slicing right through the heart of our city -- density as traditionally understood by the urban core crowd is never going to be our thing (Joel Kotkin has written about this). Linear *is* our thing, whether following either side of the river or out at the beach. And Shad's project fits this reality (as  does, theoretically, Healthy Town).

This is a time for tremendous optimism in Big Duval.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
Learned today that the first phase of Khan's project (the hotel) is contingent on the Hart Bridge viaduct being torn down first.  So if anyone wonders about the development timeline for the Shipyards, don't expect much as long as the Hart Bridge ramps are still standing.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

KenFSU

^I wonder if this is what Iguana was referring to in its proposal in terms of loaning the city money for upfront infrastructure work.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
I'm not sure but the bridge is a state highway.

Tacachale

^And the state is ready to commit approximately $0 to tearing down those ramps. Expect to see this project around the time the San Marco Publix wraps up.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?