Author Topic: 4 projects changing the face of St Johns Town Center  (Read 3460 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
4 projects changing the face of St Johns Town Center
« on: December 08, 2016, 08:45:01 AM »
4 projects changing the face of St Johns Town Center

Over the next year, Town Center Parkway will continue to be a major Southside Jacksonville construction zone. Here's a look at developments currently underway and the mixed-use tenants they'll be bringing with them.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2016-dec-4-projects-changing-the-face-of-st-johns-town-center

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
Re: 4 projects changing the face of St Johns Town Center
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 09:07:56 AM »
Town Center has really changed the face of the SS, its almost like another city in that area. I tend to avoid that area though b/c of the traffic/construction

Snufflee

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 09:31:40 AM »
Town Center has really changed the face of the SS, its almost like another city in that area. I tend to avoid that area though b/c of the traffic/construction

My Question especially as someone not well versed on urban sprawl and development is; is this healthy for the city of Jacksonville to be this fragmented?
And so it goes

KenFSU

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 10:48:00 AM »

My Question especially as someone not well versed on urban sprawl and development is; is this healthy for the city of Jacksonville to be this fragmented?

People can speak to other aspects, but socioeconomically, it's crushing. Particularly in the absence of reliable mass transportation. Any time you have a job center this big that isn't easily accessible to the working poor, you can't have a truly healthy city. It's one of the bigger failure of our BRT plans, in my opinion. All of the new development at the Town Center will create thousands of low-skilled jobs that our poorest neighborhoods will be largely cut off from, lest they endure four-to-five hour round-trip bus rides (longer on Saturday), including dangerous walks through the elements. I honestly don't think that people give a tenth as much attention to transit as they should in terms of economic mobility and providing opportunity for the working poor to better their situations. 
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

acme54321

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 10:52:04 AM »
It's a zoo out there on the weekends as it is right now!  I can't imagine what that area is going to be like after all of this is open.

jaxjaguar

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 11:39:56 AM »
I'd imagine it'll turn out similar to the millennia area in Orlando. A massive sprawl of high end shops that isn't easily navigated and always overcrowded.

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 11:54:36 AM »
It's a zoo out there on the weekends as it is right now!  I can't imagine what that area is going to be like after all of this is open.

Could not agree more.  We are moving to JAX next fall and we LOVE the SJTC area, but the thought of living around all of that traffic, which is going to get exponentially worse, is enough to make me shudder.  As KenFSU was saying above, IF it had a mass-transit system that could get people in and out of there efficiently, it would be great, but without that, it is a bunch of parking lots, connected by more parking lots which are masquerading as roads!

pierre

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 12:34:49 PM »
I'd imagine it'll turn out similar to the millennia area in Orlando. A massive sprawl of high end shops that isn't easily navigated and always overcrowded.

At this point, it's almost worse than the Millenia area. At least with Millenia there are three ways in and out of there.

The Gate Pkwy/Town Center intersection is a disaster now. I cannot imagine what it will be like after this.

And there does not appear to be any plan to improve traffic coming off of JTB to Gate Pkwy from either direction.

brainstormer

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 11:34:36 AM »
All of these developments have absolutely horrible designs and Town Center Parkway is going to be just another San Jose Blvd, Atlantic Blvd, Blanding Blvd, etc. Massive congestion, lots of rear-end accidents, small building after small building surrounded by tons and tons of asphalt. Ugly, dysfunctional, unsafe for pedestrians. They are built to encourage driving from one shop/restaurant to the next which results in even more congestion. When designed in this way, customers arrive with the assumption that they should be able to park right in front of the establishment they are visiting, so they drive around waiting for that perfect parking spot. Parking lots become a random sea of cars and pedestrians because none of the stores are safely connected to each other.

Think about when you visit Disney Springs. You drive there planning to park in a massive ramp and then walk to all of the restaurants/stores you want to go to. No one assumes they have the right to park right in front of their restaurant. It is designed in a way that encourages exercise, is aesthetically pleasing, and provides safety for pedestrians.

I loved the original town center concept but the surrounding development has completely destroyed that concept. I avoid the area now as much as possible.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 11:36:11 AM by brainstormer »

jaxjaguar

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 12:46:51 PM »
I agree. The original strip of the Town Center was reall promising. I held out hope for a while that they would connect it to the two other strips where REI and Best Buy are. But sadly they quickly gave up on that design.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 05:20:39 PM »
^Connecting those centers was never proposed. The town center was always envisioned to be a mall without a roof. The development pattern around it will be pretty similar to that of most regional shopping centers built over the last 30 years.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

BenderRodriguez

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 10:26:26 AM »
From what I understand, SJTC served as one of the early prototype of the outdoor mall design by Simon Malls. Which would contribute to the "compact" design of the actual strip section (phase 1-3). The rest of the area is surrounded by the old outlet and asphalt sea that we all know and love so much. We can pretty much count out any further innovation of the area. That includes any future modes of alternate transportation.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 10:08:29 AM »
I feel completely lost.  Yesterday I went to the town center for the first time in probably 6 months and I didn't even recognize the place.  So many new places that I don't know what to make of it all.  Chuey's, Mission BBQ, 2nd and Charles.... YOGURT MOUNTAIN! WTF is that?  Where is Glenn to guide me through all of this and tell me what the new hot spots are?  Glenn, where are you!?

billy

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 11:01:39 AM »
+1 regarding Glenn

Tacachale

Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?