Author Topic: Jacksonville Armada in trouble?  (Read 37091 times)

Tacachale

• Administrator
Re: Jacksonville Armada in trouble?
« Reply #195 on: June 11, 2018, 04:55:39 PM »
Apparently the broadcast plan has gone haywire as well. Not sure if there is a better update, but this is from April:

http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/20180426/broadcast-plans-murky-as-armada-opens-npsl-campaign

Is there really a tv demographic that wants to watch an out of city or out of state minor league soccer  team?

Apparently they did OK in Tampa last year, which is what Palmer wanted as he's trying to expand his business there. But if they're not on TV in Jax (the main place he was trying to expand the business), it's unlikely they're even thinking about other markets. I feel for the guy. He made a big investment that seemed good, and the league collapsed out from under him.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

remc86007

« Reply #196 on: June 11, 2018, 06:21:21 PM »
But it didn't seem good. Everyone knew the league was doomed.

pierre

« Reply #197 on: June 12, 2018, 08:29:19 AM »

And that is why so many of the franchises moved to the USL. The writing was on the wall.

Unfortunately, Jacksonville stuck with the NASL and is now in an amateur league and drawing 800 people to games.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #198 on: June 12, 2018, 11:29:40 AM »

Exactly. I don’t follow Soccer that close, and I had been hearing for a while that NASL was in major trouble. Seemed like terrible timing for the investment.

JBTripper

« Reply #199 on: June 12, 2018, 03:38:15 PM »
Palmer should just convert it to a basketball team and join the ABA. They could even use the same players. Nobody would notice.

Papa33

« Reply #200 on: June 27, 2018, 09:29:49 AM »
I don't know what it would take in terms of money, resources, and criteria, but does anyone have an opinion about Robert Palmer transitioning the Armada to an NWSL team.  My thoughts are that there is no way that Jacksonville could support two professional soccer teams and I like the thought of having a professional team in the highest professional league in the sport (as opposed to a second, third, or fourth, tier professional league).

If there was anyway possible for Jacksonville to get a franchise, could it survive?

pierre

« Reply #201 on: June 27, 2018, 10:06:14 AM »
There is a NWSL team in Orlando that has some of the biggest names in the sport. And it struggles to draw more than a couple thousand fans their games. There is no chance they are putting a team here.

The Pride has the same owner as the MLS team in Orlando. I suspect they don't pay rent. I doubt they could survive on their own.

KenFSU

« Reply #202 on: July 10, 2018, 11:55:15 PM »
Armada planning to move to Patton Park next season.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #203 on: July 11, 2018, 06:11:25 AM »
They are also going to play their first playoff game Wednesday...  8)

https://www.news4jax.com/sports/armada-set-for-first-ever-playoff-game-wednesday

Armada set for first ever playoff game Wednesday
Jacksonville hosts Miami United on Channel 4 at 7 p.m.
By Cole Pepper - Sports anchor/reporter
Posted: 2:49 PM, July 10, 2018
Updated: 2:49 PM, July 10, 2018

ACKSONVILLE, Fla. - When the Jacksonville Armada made the decision to play in the National Premier Soccer League this year, there was an expectation that the former North American Soccer League club would have a chance to dominate. In many ways, they have, but it doesn’t make Wednesday’s playoff match, the first in club history, any less special.

"We usually have Monday off, but because it's a playoff game, we were in. Everyone was ready to take in information and ready to go," said head coach Mark Lowry.

Last year, the Armada narrowly missed out on the NASL playoffs, and it has been a long and winding road for the club and its supporters over the past four years. Two leagues, two owners, four head coaches. That’s why Lowry said Wednesday’s match is more than just a competition, it is also a cause for celebration.

"For the fans who have had four years of a bit of a rollercoaster, to have a little bit of success means a lot," Lowry said. "It doesn't really matter if its NPSL (or) NASL right now. The name of the league is irrelevant right now, it's more of an occasion. The fans deserve this. I hope they turn up and we put on a show for them and continue this run."

The Armada will face a familiar opponent, Miami United. The two clubs have met three times this year, and Jacksonville is still searching for their first win against Miami United in 2018. Twice in league play, the clubs drew, including a 0-0 final in Jacksonville on June 23. The match that really sticks in the craw of the Armada came in the U.S. Open Cup when Jacksonville fell to United in the second round at home. That match was played at JU. Wednesday’s match will be played at UNF Hodges Stadium, where the Armada have not lost a game this year.

"It feels like a Cup Final week," said Armada forward and captain Ciaran Kilduff. "As a player, you always look to play on the biggest stage and the biggest occasions. We're in the NPSL and we want to win it. It kind of feels like last year where there is something on the line that really matters."

For a few of the Armada players, this match has added meeting. Michael Melvin went to Nease High School, and he said that he was excited about the possibility of one day playing for his hometown team. Now he starts at left back and is looking forward to Wednesday’s match.

"As soon as I saw that, it was one of my goals. I knew that if I wanted to play professional, this would be a good place to start. It's been really fun this summer," said former Nease High School star Michael Melvin.

In the hour before the match kicks off, there will be more Armada developments. Tim President Nathan Walter will be a part of a town hall meeting for residence in the Patton Park area who will have the chance to voice their opinions about the Armada's plan to build out a section of the park to become a small stadium where the club can play until a permanent new home can be constructed. Jacksonville city councilman Aaron Bowman will lead the discussion.
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Papa33

« Reply #204 on: July 11, 2018, 01:26:35 PM »
News of Armada's death greatly exaggerated . . . at least I hope.

The proposed move to Patton Park includes a $1 million investment to upgrade the field and increase capacity for 2500 spectators.  The article also suggests this to be a temporary move with an eye still toward building a new home facility.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #205 on: July 11, 2018, 01:36:41 PM »
^It increases the chances that another team comes in and rents Hodges Stadium before any of that can happen, though.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Papa33

« Reply #206 on: July 12, 2018, 11:04:13 AM »
That's true as its been rumoured that USL is looking to put a team in Jacksonville with a different ownership group . . . the hold up being Hodges tied up by Armada.  I hope Armada's goodwill in the community would count for something if that were to happen.

KenFSU

« Reply #207 on: July 12, 2018, 08:14:40 PM »
Some additional details that I haven't seen reported yet:

- 3 year lease with the city, with the potential to extend
- First year or so would expand seating to 2,400 at Patton, the highest capacity allowed with existing parking
- Beyond that, the goal is to expand to 5,000, made possible by running a shuttle to satellite parking elsewhere
- Beer and wine only, none of the good stuff
- Armada pays for improvements to Patton, including a new scoreboard, but the city retains ownership of said improvements
- City Council should vote on the proposal within the next two months

Couple of renders:

Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #208 on: July 12, 2018, 11:52:22 PM »

- Armada pays for improvements to Patton, including a new scoreboard, but the city retains ownership of said improvements

How big are the scoreboards and will there be swimming pools???

KenFSU

« Reply #209 on: July 13, 2018, 08:16:34 AM »

How big are the scoreboards and will there be swimming pools???

No pools, and whatever the opposite of the "world's largest scoreboards" is: