Author Topic: Jacksonville Armada in trouble?  (Read 33683 times)

Tacachale

Re: Jacksonville Armada in trouble?
« Reply #180 on: March 07, 2018, 12:06:42 PM »
I was trying to get a handle on why the USL was not an option...I thought it might have to do with litigation, or a personal conflict with the league. Looks like it is more likely that the USL's rules against broadcasting games outside your local market is the culprit. Robert Palmer's plan for Armada is as a marketing machine, and if he can't broadcast outside of Jax then it's useless. So it seems any move to the USL is unlikely for a long time (which is funny cause before selling the team, Frisch appeared to be prepping the Armada for a jump to the USL).

Anyway, it's kinda hard to believe that Palmer is building a fourth division, semi-pro franchise to be a marketing juggernaut broadcast around the country with its own soccer-specific stadium. Seems unusual at the least. More power to him though. Time will tell.

Interesting, at any rate. Definitely power to him.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #181 on: March 13, 2018, 02:59:38 PM »
As for where, I don't see it downtown.  Personally, I think a perfect location would be where Gate Parkway dead-ends just east of 295.  Lots and lots of land (undeveloped), easy access to 295/JTB, lots of population in that area with good income and "suburban mentality" (which is where your soccer fan base is), etc.  Not sure how that land is zoned or who the owner is, but you just couldn't do much better than right there, imo.

That is Davis owned land (dee dot ranch), not likely to be made available.  You never know, maybe one of the Davis' are soccer fans and would donate it to the cause.

Palmer should get the Armada to the MLS and use Everbank (i'm not going to call it TIAA).

See???  I told you this was happening!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

https://www.news4jax.com/top-stories/smoke-from-controlled-burns-in-ne-st-johns-county-sparks-concern

marcuscnelson

« Reply #182 on: March 13, 2018, 04:59:38 PM »
What about E-Town Parkway? Or does the Davis family own that too?

Lostwave

« Reply #183 on: March 14, 2018, 09:08:05 AM »
Yes they do... but they are actually going to develop that, so could be possible. 

FlaBoy

« Reply #184 on: March 14, 2018, 09:26:18 AM »
I was trying to get a handle on why the USL was not an option...I thought it might have to do with litigation, or a personal conflict with the league. Looks like it is more likely that the USL's rules against broadcasting games outside your local market is the culprit. Robert Palmer's plan for Armada is as a marketing machine, and if he can't broadcast outside of Jax then it's useless. So it seems any move to the USL is unlikely for a long time (which is funny cause before selling the team, Frisch appeared to be prepping the Armada for a jump to the USL).

Anyway, it's kinda hard to believe that Palmer is building a fourth division, semi-pro franchise to be a marketing juggernaut broadcast around the country with its own soccer-specific stadium. Seems unusual at the least. More power to him though. Time will tell.

Interesting, at any rate. Definitely power to him.

That is a dumb rule. I assume he would want to target the northern portions of the Orlando/Sanford/Daytona Beach market and Brevard County. He would want to target Gainesville, Ocala, and maybe out to Tallahassee? I can't imagine him going all the way to Lakeland though.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #185 on: March 14, 2018, 11:55:34 AM »
^Just going on my memory here, but I believe he broadcasts in Tampa and there is a USL team there. And I also believe that in one of his first press conferences he mentioned broadcasting in various markets across the country.

pierre

« Reply #186 on: June 07, 2018, 11:20:13 AM »
The Armada had a game last night at UNF and it drew around 800.

Third lowest in team history, but higher than the week prior.

The team is on borrowed time and I have not seen Palmer in the news much lately talking about the team.

fsquid

« Reply #187 on: June 11, 2018, 12:21:04 PM »
Doubt they are around this time next year.

copperfiend

« Reply #188 on: June 11, 2018, 12:38:02 PM »
Unless they get to the USL, the team is toast

KenFSU

« Reply #189 on: June 11, 2018, 02:26:12 PM »
Are we sure they're really on borrowed time?

We're certain they're actually running at a loss?

800 paid fans doesn't seem bad for a regional, fourth-tier soccer team made up of fourth-tier players, does it?

Can't imagine the team is paying rent on Hodges Stadium either.

Maybe ownership is ok keeping things in a holding pattern while they plot their next move.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

Tacachale

« Reply #190 on: June 11, 2018, 02:43:03 PM »
Are we sure they're really on borrowed time?

We're certain they're actually running at a loss?

800 paid fans doesn't seem bad for a regional, fourth-tier soccer team made up of fourth-tier players, does it?

Can't imagine the team is paying rent on Hodges Stadium either.

Maybe ownership is ok keeping things in a holding pattern while they plot their next move.

They’re definitely paying rent. But I think the owners have too much invested in the team to pull out. They aren’t apparently interested in the USL (though USL is interested in Jax), so who knows if they can make it work.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

remc86007

« Reply #191 on: June 11, 2018, 02:58:06 PM »
^Why aren't they interested in the USL?

copperfiend

« Reply #192 on: June 11, 2018, 03:11:55 PM »

I could be wrong but I think the USL isn't interested in Palmer.

Tacachale

« Reply #193 on: June 11, 2018, 03:39:16 PM »

I could be wrong but I think the USL isn't interested in Palmer.

I don't think they said specifically, but probably something to do with ownership structure. The Armada are a marketing strategy for Palmer so if he doesn't have total control it may not be worth it to him.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #194 on: June 11, 2018, 04:11:09 PM »
I dont know about the issues from the USL's perspective, but from the Armada's POV (specifically owner Robert Palmer) it seems they are not interested in USL because Palmer wants broadcast rights for the Armada in many markets around the country, which infringes on various USL markets already.