Author Topic: Jacksonville Armada in trouble?  (Read 37940 times)

civil42806

Re: Jacksonville Armada in trouble?
« Reply #165 on: March 07, 2018, 06:52:14 AM »
Wow, this guy has balls and talks a big game. If he can back it up, then fantastic!

Oh, please (PLEASE!) let this guy be for real and not another pie-in-the-sky hawker that we seem to have an abundance of!  This would be spectacular for us fans of the game.  Someplace simple, yet expandable.  A place to call home.

Its obvious that the armada owner needs to contact Mooneyhan for a joint project in Jax.

Sonic101

• It's Coming
« Reply #166 on: March 07, 2018, 07:58:26 AM »
We will have the very best stadium in the world, floating on the river. There will be nothing like it anywhere, and people will come from miles around and think it's just amazing.

/s

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #167 on: March 07, 2018, 08:03:31 AM »
Wow, this guy has balls and talks a big game. If he can back it up, then fantastic!

Oh, please (PLEASE!) let this guy be for real and not another pie-in-the-sky hawker that we seem to have an abundance of!  This would be spectacular for us fans of the game.  Someplace simple, yet expandable.  A place to call home.

Its obvious that the armada owner needs to contact Mooneyhan for a joint project in Jax.

I've heard it from a reliable source that it will be named Fudrucker's Stadium.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

copperfiend

« Reply #168 on: March 07, 2018, 08:28:33 AM »
So he's gonna build a stadium for what is essentially an amateur team?

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #169 on: March 07, 2018, 09:04:49 AM »
I'm thinking something better than an amateur team.  I'm thinking he's seen what he has to do to move the Armada into the next level and it will never happen, given the lack of a stadium.  I don't see a second team coming in; that would be disastrous for both.

As for where, I don't see it downtown.  Personally, I think a perfect location would be where Gate Parkway dead-ends just east of 295.  Lots and lots of land (undeveloped), easy access to 295/JTB, lots of population in that area with good income and "suburban mentality" (which is where your soccer fan base is), etc.  Not sure how that land is zoned or who the owner is, but you just couldn't do much better than right there, imo.

copperfiend

« Reply #170 on: March 07, 2018, 09:29:53 AM »
Ultimately, they have to get into the USL. Maybe a stadium makes that a reality with Palmer as owner.

Agree on the location. It has to be somewhere near that part of town. And I think it would be a multiuse stadium. I could see high school football games played there too.

Lostwave

« Reply #171 on: March 07, 2018, 09:33:24 AM »
As for where, I don't see it downtown.  Personally, I think a perfect location would be where Gate Parkway dead-ends just east of 295.  Lots and lots of land (undeveloped), easy access to 295/JTB, lots of population in that area with good income and "suburban mentality" (which is where your soccer fan base is), etc.  Not sure how that land is zoned or who the owner is, but you just couldn't do much better than right there, imo.

That is Davis owned land (dee dot ranch), not likely to be made available.  You never know, maybe one of the Davis' are soccer fans and would donate it to the cause.

Palmer should get the Armada to the MLS and use Everbank (i'm not going to call it TIAA).

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #172 on: March 07, 2018, 10:19:13 AM »

That is Davis owned land (dee dot ranch), not likely to be made available.  You never know, maybe one of the Davis' are soccer fans and would donate it to the cause.

Palmer should get the Armada to the MLS and use Everbank (i'm not going to call it TIAA).

Being new to town, I'm not sure who the Davis family is, but hopefully one of them would get on board, as you said.

As for MLS, playing in Everbank would be a disaster.  Having been a PA announcer for over 30 years in a different sport, I can tell you I'd rather be doing a game with a crowd of 1500 in a facility that only held 1200, rather than a crowd of 1500 in a facility that held 9000!  The former is packed and entertaining, the latter is a tomb.  Putting even a decent crowd of 15 to 20k in the Bank would still look and sound like no one was there.  Add to that the fact that the field is a rounded rectangle, which means your fans are pushed out far away from the action in the centers.  Not a good soccer facility at all, unless you can guarantee a huge turnout.  Not in Jax.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: March 07, 2018, 10:54:46 AM »
I'm thinking something better than an amateur team.  I'm thinking he's seen what he has to do to move the Armada into the next level and it will never happen, given the lack of a stadium.  I don't see a second team coming in; that would be disastrous for both.

He has said USL isn't an option for whatever reason, so I'm not sure what next level he can expect to see with a new stadium. He's said he's hoping for either the NASL to come back (unlikely) or some new league to pop up that he can join in lieu of the USL.

USL was trying to move in and lease Hodges Stadium when he bought the Armada. The only reason they're not here now while the Armada are in a weakened state is that the Armada have the Hodges lease, and there's nowhere else to play. Unless he can really turn the Armada's fortunes around, leaving Hodges for another stadium means the USL comes in and puts the Armada out of business.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

FlaBoy

« Reply #174 on: March 07, 2018, 11:09:59 AM »

He has said USL isn't an option for whatever reason, so I'm not sure what next level he can expect to see with a new stadium. He's said he's hoping for either the NASL to come back (unlikely) or some new league to pop up that he can join in lieu of the USL.

USL was trying to move in and lease Hodges Stadium when he bought the Armada. The only reason they're not here now while the Armada are in a weakened state is that the Armada have the Hodges lease, and there's nowhere else to play. Unless he can really turn the Armada's fortunes around, leaving Hodges for another stadium means the USL comes in and puts the Armada out of business.

JU's updated football stadium could potentially work when they are done before football season this fall.

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #175 on: March 07, 2018, 11:12:40 AM »

Right, but I kinda took that to mean short term, no USL.  If he means forever, then yes, another team could swoop in.  I guess we will be able to tell what his intentions are when we see a rendering of the stadium.  The levels and capacity of seating will be a good indicator of whether he's talking D2 or D3 (or lower) soccer.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #176 on: March 07, 2018, 11:51:02 AM »
I was trying to get a handle on why the USL was not an option...I thought it might have to do with litigation, or a personal conflict with the league. Looks like it is more likely that the USL's rules against broadcasting games outside your local market is the culprit. Robert Palmer's plan for Armada is as a marketing machine, and if he can't broadcast outside of Jax then it's useless. So it seems any move to the USL is unlikely for a long time (which is funny cause before selling the team, Frisch appeared to be prepping the Armada for a jump to the USL).

Anyway, it's kinda hard to believe that Palmer is building a fourth division, semi-pro franchise to be a marketing juggernaut broadcast around the country with its own soccer-specific stadium. Seems unusual at the least. More power to him though. Time will tell.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: March 07, 2018, 12:06:42 PM »
I was trying to get a handle on why the USL was not an option...I thought it might have to do with litigation, or a personal conflict with the league. Looks like it is more likely that the USL's rules against broadcasting games outside your local market is the culprit. Robert Palmer's plan for Armada is as a marketing machine, and if he can't broadcast outside of Jax then it's useless. So it seems any move to the USL is unlikely for a long time (which is funny cause before selling the team, Frisch appeared to be prepping the Armada for a jump to the USL).

Anyway, it's kinda hard to believe that Palmer is building a fourth division, semi-pro franchise to be a marketing juggernaut broadcast around the country with its own soccer-specific stadium. Seems unusual at the least. More power to him though. Time will tell.

Interesting, at any rate. Definitely power to him.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #178 on: March 13, 2018, 02:59:38 PM »

See???  I told you this was happening!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

https://www.news4jax.com/top-stories/smoke-from-controlled-burns-in-ne-st-johns-county-sparks-concern

marcuscnelson

« Reply #179 on: March 13, 2018, 04:59:38 PM »
What about E-Town Parkway? Or does the Davis family own that too?