Author Topic: Jacksonville Armada in trouble?  (Read 35987 times)

Tacachale

• Administrator
Re: Jacksonville Armada in trouble?
« Reply #135 on: November 09, 2017, 11:27:11 AM »
Looks to me like Robert Palmer is taking a page out of Ron Sholes' playbook and using a ninth-tier professional sports franchise as a marketing arm of his business. The Jacksonville Giants for years have been nothing but marketing for "You Hurt We Fight." Sholes gives away the tickets to school kids with parents in his target demographic, then covers the arena with ads for his firm and his quack doctor buddies. The Giants don't sell tickets, but it doesn't matter because he probably only needs one settlement out of the 5,000 freebie tickets he gives out for each game to break even.

Palmer must be hoping he can finance the first homes of all these millennial, europhile hipsters who think they're being all cultural and stuff.

Lol. He's been 100% up front about using the team to market his business. The money he's invested is also head and shoulders beyond what Ron Sholes did with the Giants. I'm also not sure what a "europhile hipster", Millennial or otherwise, would be doing at a lower-division American soccer game. They'd be at the bar watching Barthelona.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #136 on: November 09, 2017, 11:44:54 AM »
Looks to me like Robert Palmer is taking a page out of Ron Sholes' playbook and using a ninth-tier professional sports franchise as a marketing arm of his business. The Jacksonville Giants for years have been nothing but marketing for "You Hurt We Fight." Sholes gives away the tickets to school kids with parents in his target demographic, then covers the arena with ads for his firm and his quack doctor buddies. The Giants don't sell tickets, but it doesn't matter because he probably only needs one settlement out of the 5,000 freebie tickets he gives out for each game to break even.

Palmer must be hoping he can finance the first homes of all these millennial, europhile hipsters who think they're being all cultural and stuff.

Lol. He's been 100% up front about using the team to market his business. The money he's invested is also head and shoulders beyond what Ron Sholes did with the Giants. I'm also not sure what a "europhile hipster", Millennial or otherwise, would be doing at a lower-division American soccer game. They'd be at the bar watching Barthelona.

Yeah he's talked about his reasoning and his vision countless times. He's working on getting television deals with dozens of markets around the country to make the Armada America's team (and by extension America's mortgage company) but don't know how successful that will be. On the surface he seems like an amazing owner.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2017, 12:00:09 PM »

I don't know...there's something about putting on a scarf in 100 degree weather and pretending to be Frodo Baggins.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

ben says

« Reply #138 on: November 10, 2017, 10:30:08 AM »
They'd be at the bar watching Barthelona.

So, so accurate.
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

pierre

« Reply #139 on: January 08, 2018, 04:56:53 PM »
Not sure this changes a whole lot. But the NASL is nearly officially dead. And as of now, it does not appear that the Armada are joining the USL, which many other NASL franchises did.

If the Armada move down (or go amateur), it's RIP Armada.

https://www.news4jax.com/sports/armada-owner-says-team-could-play-in-different-league-in-2018

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2018, 05:02:48 PM »
Not sure this changes a whole lot. But the NASL is nearly officially dead. And as of now, it does not appear that the Armada are joining the USL, which many other NASL franchises did.

If the Armada move down (or go amateur), it's RIP Armada.

https://www.news4jax.com/sports/armada-owner-says-team-could-play-in-different-league-in-2018

It's concerning they're talking about moving into D3 leagues or lower. Hard to see them getting any better attendance with that than the very low levels they got last year. It needs to be USL or nothing, frankly.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #141 on: January 30, 2018, 09:33:20 PM »
Well, at least they will be playing SOME level of soccer in a couple of months!

https://www.news4jax.com/sports/soccer/armada/armada-find-temporary-home-in-npsl

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: January 30, 2018, 10:16:58 PM »

https://www.news4jax.com/sports/soccer/armada/armada-find-temporary-home-in-npsl

No mention of joining the USL. Exploring "start up leagues" doesn't really inspire confidence.

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #143 on: January 30, 2018, 10:27:22 PM »

No mention of joining the USL. Exploring "start up leagues" doesn't really inspire confidence.

No, no it doesn't.  <<sigh>>

JaxAvondale

« Reply #144 on: January 30, 2018, 10:40:28 PM »
Until US Soccer restructures, the Armada will be influx.

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #145 on: January 30, 2018, 10:45:44 PM »
Until US Soccer restructures, the Armada will be influx.

Yes, I guess we could look at it optimistically; we CAN'T be in any worse shape than USA Soccer itself!  ;)

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: January 31, 2018, 12:37:45 PM »

The owner said on Twitter that USL isn't an option, but can't get into why for legal reasons. It's hard to see them lasting long in lower divisions (or no division), especially knowing that USL is interested in the Jax market.

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #147 on: January 31, 2018, 12:51:59 PM »

The owner said on Twitter that USL isn't an option, but can't get into why for legal reasons. It's hard to see them lasting long in lower divisions (or no division), especially knowing that USL is interested in the Jax market.

Soccer is such a mess in this country.  You know, it's kinda like everything we discuss on this forum when dealing with the Shipyards and downtown.  Instead of a small, grass-roots thing happening and building up from the bottom, we want it to emulate what we see in organizations that have been around for 100+ years (MLB, NFL, etc.)  Let's go for the home run when really we should be far more localized.

When I was growing up, there was a great minor-league hockey league called the IHL.  Its teams were all within a long bus ride to each other.  In Michigan, there was Muskegon, Kalamazoo, Saginaw, Flint, Port Huron.  Indiana had Ft Wayne, Ohio had Toledo and Columbus, etc.  Then, some genius decided that the IHL needed broader horizons (read: more money to be made).  The expanded to Las Vegas and other plane rides around the country.  Within a few years, the league folded.  No way can you carry that kind of expense for that level of league.

The reason I bring this up is, wouldn't soccer be better suited with a regional league of teams that would allow natural rivalries to take place?  I mean, imagine the "SouthEast Soccer Association".  Jax, Tallahassee, Gainesville, Huntsville, Macon, Birmingham, Savannah, etc.  This would make far more sense than having teams that draw maybe 4,000 fans on a good night flying to Minneapolis!

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #148 on: January 31, 2018, 04:25:28 PM »

Soccer is such a mess in this country.  You know, it's kinda like everything we discuss on this forum when dealing with the Shipyards and downtown.  Instead of a small, grass-roots thing happening and building up from the bottom, we want it to emulate what we see in organizations that have been around for 100+ years (MLB, NFL, etc.)  Let's go for the home run when really we should be far more localized.

When I was growing up, there was a great minor-league hockey league called the IHL.  Its teams were all within a long bus ride to each other.  In Michigan, there was Muskegon, Kalamazoo, Saginaw, Flint, Port Huron.  Indiana had Ft Wayne, Ohio had Toledo and Columbus, etc.  Then, some genius decided that the IHL needed broader horizons (read: more money to be made).  The expanded to Las Vegas and other plane rides around the country.  Within a few years, the league folded.  No way can you carry that kind of expense for that level of league.

The reason I bring this up is, wouldn't soccer be better suited with a regional league of teams that would allow natural rivalries to take place?  I mean, imagine the "SouthEast Soccer Association".  Jax, Tallahassee, Gainesville, Huntsville, Macon, Birmingham, Savannah, etc.  This would make far more sense than having teams that draw maybe 4,000 fans on a good night flying to Minneapolis!

Speaking of soccer, you watching the match tonight, Timmy?
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #149 on: January 31, 2018, 05:34:45 PM »

Speaking of soccer, you watching the match tonight, Timmy?

Yes, and I'm slitting my wrists as I type.  Very tough to do, mind you.