Author Topic: Expanding the Skyway: Where would you like it to go?  (Read 21813 times)

TimmyB

• T
Re: Expanding the Skyway: Where would you like it to go?
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2017, 02:39:10 PM »
Automated shuttle to Baptist Health? ...The program is supported locally, including by the Jacksonville Transportation Authority, home of the downtown automated Skyway system, a people mover that was expected to be a prototype for a future that didn’t exactly arrive.

Sounds cool, but this is hardly the quality you are looking for from your endorsements list!  :D  Love to see it happen.

FlaBoy

« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2017, 10:35:00 AM »
http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2017-03-06/jta-demonstrates-driverless-vehicles-jacksonville

Jacksonville residents and officials boarded a driverless vehicle Wednesday to experience what likely will be the future of transit here. The rounded red-and-black vehicle navigated its way seamlessly through the parking lot across from Intuition Ale Works on East Bay Street. It slipped past a concrete pole without bumping the obstacle — and when a reporter accidentally stepped in front of the oncoming vehicle, it stopped.

Tacachale

« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2017, 10:38:11 AM »
Hmmm.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Dapperdan

« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2017, 11:16:49 AM »
Very interesting. If the goal is to fill in the elevated portion then bring it down to grade with dedicated lanes, then this could be very cheap to implement. Does anyone know if these are electric or gas vehicles? It also seems very easy to increase or decrease the scale based on events. I was on the fence but am liking this more and more.

remc86007

« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2017, 11:22:16 AM »
Very interesting. If the goal is to fill in the elevated portion then bring it down to grade with dedicated lanes, then this could be very cheap to implement. Does anyone know if these are electric or gas vehicles? It also seems very easy to increase or decrease the scale based on events. I was on the fence but am liking this more and more.

I agree. It looks like a good idea to me.

They are electric. You can read more here: http://easymile.com/

KenFSU

« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2018, 12:19:20 PM »
Just jumped on the Skyway to grab lunch at Sake House. It's amusing to me that all Skyway signage, voice commands, etc. still refer to FSCJ as FCCJ. What has it been, 10 years since the name change? Even the LCD ribbon displays, which you'd think could be changed by typing two letters on a keyboard somewhere.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

SightseerLounge

« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2018, 03:59:11 AM »
JTA replacing Skyway Vehicles with autonomous vehicles is a silly move. Why didn't they just do like other cities and use them on existing routes. Someone got lazy, and they didn't want to procure new monorail vehicles! This is just First Cost Flyer with the old adjust

MusicMan

« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2018, 08:54:38 AM »
Unless I'm missing something, this is to complement the existing system, not replace it.  So it's a great idea.  Would love to see the autonomous vehicles being manufactured in the old Ford plant by the river!

This is pretty much what I had in mind when I pitched Jax to Amazon 8)

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2018, 09:51:50 AM »
It won't complement. It will replace it by getting rid of the skyway vehicles and running AV shuttle buses on the elevated infrastructure and on the streets.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2018, 10:02:23 AM »
[quote author=SightseerLounge link=topic=28029.msg477052#msg477052 date=1516093151Someone got lazy, and they didn't want to procure new monorail vehicles! This is just First Cost Flyer with the old adjust
[/quote]

They said the cost was prohibitive. The technology is antiquated.

MusicMan

« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2018, 10:02:44 AM »
Ok that works too. I've been advocating for this for a while. Our street grid downtown should work pretty well for this application. Connecting to Five Point, Springfield/UFHealth, and San Marco should be the next step.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2018, 10:13:44 AM »
You can get to Shands using BRT now. BRT will also get you to Riverside when that line opens. IMO it runs on losing its luster when the talk morphs into mixing these little things into the same lanes as regular auto traffic. When you reach that point, you've destroyed the major positive of the skyway (dedicated ROW) and the potential ability to stimulate TOD along the expanded path. Once that's gone, you might as well save money and run a bus or AV on the street like Tampa, Gainesville and everyone else.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 10:17:38 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Sonic101

• It's Coming
« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2018, 10:46:55 AM »
So basically, hinder an autonomous vehicle by applying the worst things about a streetcar.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2018, 11:00:39 AM »
Basically, that's my largest concern.....although IMO, it's also crazy to run streetcars in mixed traffic. In both scenarios, you hurt transit reliability and possibly clog up the streets moreso than they are today. It's sort of like advocating for sharrows when the most efficient and safe solution is to separate motorized and non-motorized modes completely.

Tacachale

« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2018, 11:09:12 AM »
^And how many people do these things hold, and how fast do they go?
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?